2023 Las Vegas Grand Prix - Las Vegas, Nov 16 - 18

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2023 Las Vegas Grand Prix - Las Vegas, Nov 16 - 18

chrstphrln wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 16:35
Mogster wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 16:03
basti313 wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 15:53

Yes...but...once you add a "force majeure" rule on damages, the stewards have to start interpreting it. Once they start interpreting any rule it is usually funny. If they would have a very strict wording, the seldom case will not fit...so it needs to be a bit wider.
That’s my concern.

I remember Russell’s Williams being destroyed by a drain cover at Baku 2019. Did Williams get any reparations from the organisers?
But you are now mixing things that have nothing to do with each other.
First and foremost, it's about the grid penalty for replacing the battery, which was destroyed by "force majeure".
It's about the sporting regulations and not about financial compensation.
There was no Cost Cap in 2019, so it is not relevant whether Williams was compensated by insurance or anyone else.
And there was no grip penalty.

If it is true that Mercedes voted against it, it is gross unsportsmanlike behavior. To Toto, one would want teams to remember this behavior in a similar situation and make him pay appropriately for it.
Williams was in dire financial straits at the time so that insurance payment that they received from Baku was important. I agree with the rest of your comments.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

vanburin wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 07:04
AR3-GP wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 06:40

From what I see so far, Russell is very wrong about this. That back straight (the vegas strip) is enormous.
Both statements can be true. The straight can be long (it is) and the DRS be much less effective with the skinny rear wings this track will likely see. Monza has the exact same issue, with it being notoriously tough to overtake despite the long straights.

Let's hope the race organizers have some Flexseal on them to seal shut the drain covers :D
:lol:

from my viewing of fp2, that slipstream is worth a lot more than 1 tenth on the vegas strip, and more than 1 tenth on the front straight.

Sieper

Leclerc pole with a Sainz tow.

dialtone
dialtone

2023 Las Vegas Grand Prix - Las Vegas, Nov 16 - 18

AR3-GP we joke about Ferrari getting negative preferential treatment, but the FIA is not in on the joke.

Embarrassing clowns.

astralx
astralx

Stu wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 15:19
Mogster wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 12:37
organic wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 12:26
Where do you stop? How about damage from kerbs?
One is driver induced, the other is an infrastructure issue.
Clearly, please , where do YOU stop? :lol: kerbs, sand in the air, this is clearly not damage from infrastructure issue, everbody knows this even the fu...FIA stewards, only you not so....

SiLo

Teams will always be self serving as much as they try to paint a different picture in the media. That part of it is a non-story.
Felipe Baby!

TFSA

214270 wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 15:01
Presumably, the track is prepared to FIA specification? Which makes the inspection covers nonsense of FP1 the FIAs primary fault?
Not really. You can't test for everything until you have the F1 cars on the track itself. We have to accept that sometimes, things aren't entirely 100% predictable. I assume the FIA hasn't overlooked this, but simply just underestimated how much lifting force an F1 car generates (especially since 2022).

What is clearly the FIAs fault, however, is that there is no provision in the financial rules for stuff like this. I understand why Vasseur is pissed.

JordanMugen

CMSMJ1 wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 09:29
The possibility of this event falling on it's first hurdle weighs heavy on the Liberty media guys I'm sure.

What a cockup.

Indy was a bad show but didn't cost billions when it failed to produce a race...
Liberty Media is responsible for the wonky schedule, cold choice of climate, irritating pre-race show, overpriced tickets and kicking fans out before FP2, but surely the FIA is responsible for track certification?

search

Pirell's tire update after FP2:

Verstappen only used three sets today, so they had free choice which one to return as 4th. Red Bull went for Softs.

JordanMugen

falonso81 wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 12:47
Teams should at this point, ditch the FIA/Liberty Media clowns and make their own championship. Strike deals with historic tracks and let them enjoy their empty "street" tracks. I do not think drivers really enjoy this "show" that Liberty Media is pushing through.
Good luck with that!

The previous Grand Prix World Championship breakaway failed, despite many competitors expressly confirming they would be switching to the GPWC.
The Formula One Teams' Association has sensationally confirmed it is to form a breakaway series, causing the greatest upheaval in the sport's 60-year history.

Following a meeting of the eight teams that currently form Fota - Ferrari, McLaren, Renault, Toyota, BMW Sauber, Brawn GP, Red Bull Racing and Toro Rosso - they have all declined to enter F1 for 2010.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thegua ... eakaway-f1

Confirmed? More like hot air...

Any future breakaway even when confirmed to the press would likely dissapear without a trace similarly (unfortunately?).

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

F1's current state is exactly as the team's wanted it.

search

Going by the F1 Sporting Regulations (I saw this brought up on Reddit), there may be more delays tomorrow:

- "A further free practice session (P3), lasting one (1) hour and starting no less than eighteen (18) hours after the end of P2, will take place on the second day of on track running."

- "The “qualifying session”. This session will take place at the following times: [...] For Competitions where a sprint session is not scheduled: on the second day of on track running, starting no less than two (2) hours, and no more than three (3) hours after the end of P3."

FP2 finished at 4am local time, so if they follow the rules, FP3 should start on from 10pm (instead of 8:30), and Qualifying at least one hour later than planed.

As it comes with more sleep, I'd appreciate that, of course.

Edit: anyway, F1 today already announced that "Free Practice 3 will start as scheduled", so they just seem to ignore that rule.
Last edited by search on 17 Nov 2023, 18:31, edited 1 time in total.

InsaneX_Badger

search wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 18:28
Going by the F1 Sporting Regulations (I saw this brought up on Reddit), there may be more delays tomorrow:

- "A further free practice session (P3), lasting one (1) hour and starting no less than eighteen (18) hours after the end of P2, will take place on the second day of on track running."

- "The “qualifying session”. This session will take place at the following times: [...] For Competitions where a sprint session is not scheduled: on the second day of on track running, starting no less than two (2) hours, and no more than three (3) hours after the end of P3."

FP2 finished at 4am local time, so if they follow the rules, FP3 should start on from 10pm (instead of 8:30), and Qualifying at least one hour later than planed.

There's probably a clause somewhere that allows them to ignore this right in times of special measures? Not the first time practice has been delayed and quali has gone ahead at normal time

search

InsaneX_Badger wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 18:31
search wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 18:28

There's probably a clause somewhere that allows them to ignore this right in times of special measures? Not the first time practice has been delayed and quali has gone ahead at normal time
yeah, just edited my post. And thinking about it: we have also seen Qualifyings on Sunday, which clearly took place more than three hours after FP3.

search

I only just read that the track is open for normal traffic now, which probably means that much of the grip will be gone again. Will this be the case between qualifying and race as well?