2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mendis
mendis

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

F1Krof wrote:
10 Feb 2024, 10:41
Did anyone think of a scenario where W15 turns out to be a RBR beater!

What will Hamilton feel?
It's a What if. Everything points to status quo in terms of pecking order. Unless there is a miracle, W15 can't be a RB20 beater. Let's say if that miracle happens, which driver that Stuggart, Toto and Ineos want winning the title? The guy that's leaving or the guy that's staying? They have to put the eggs in one basket, unless W15 is W05/W06/W07 league. Human beings are emotional and egoistic and I would find it hard to believe one can be coherent to someone that ditched you. Obviously, this discussion is just fantasy. But who would Mercedes support?

aMessageToCharlie
aMessageToCharlie

mendis wrote:
10 Feb 2024, 11:28
F1Krof wrote:

What will Hamilton feel?
It's a What if. Everything points to status quo in terms of pecking order. Unless there is a miracle, W15 can't be a RB20 beater. Let's say if that miracle happens, which driver that Stuggart, Toto and Ineos want winning the title? The guy that's leaving or the guy that's staying? They have to put the eggs in one basket, unless W15 is W05/W06/W07 league. Human beings are emotional and egoistic and I would find it hard to believe one can be coherent to someone that ditched you. Obviously, this discussion is just fantasy. But who would Mercedes support?
Merc would 100% go with the glory of winning a record breaking 8th WDC and being forever associated with this accomplishment. It's a no-brainer.

mendis
mendis

aMessageToCharlie wrote:
10 Feb 2024, 11:37
mendis wrote:
F1Krof wrote:

What will Hamilton feel?
Merc would 100% go with the glory of winning a record breaking 8th WDC and being forever associated with this accomplishment. It's a no-brainer.
From a company branding standpoint, would one driver winning 7th title as Mercedes driver better than having produced 3 different WDC winning drivers? The benefit of a newly crowned driver continuing to represent Mercedes team for sometime in future. Would they want to continue to have a WDC representing them ever since they came back to the sport since 2010 or want to go in 2025 without a champion for the first time.

Cs98
Cs98

aMessageToCharlie wrote:
10 Feb 2024, 11:37
mendis wrote:
F1Krof wrote:

What will Hamilton feel?
I understand if you support Hamilton you would think that, but if your interests are squarely behind Mercedes it is not that simple anymore. Hamilton winning would be a bigger story, but it's not a story Merc can take full advantage of as Hamilton instantly leaves for a huge rival and takes his fans and attention with him. Russell is now the future of the team, meaning his success and development is highly correlated with whatever future success Mercedes will have as a team and brand in F1. Toto has never struck me as the short-sighted kind, he's all about maximising success and brand value over time. In the end, I'm not sure it will matter, the odds of them mounting a title challenge is low and if it happens they'll probably prioritise whoever is leading in the championship.

f1jcw
f1jcw

Yes, Merc can take advantage of that record as it was scored in a Merc

f1jcw
f1jcw

mendis wrote:

a What if. Everything points to status quo in terms of pecking order. Unless there is a miracle, W15 can't be a RB20 beater.
Sorry, I’ve not see anything pointing anywhere, changes do happen otherwise the Merc would still be winning.

Cs98
Cs98

f1jcw wrote:
10 Feb 2024, 13:14
It's Hamilton's record and Hamilton goes to Ferrari immediately, which is why I said they won't be taking full advantage of such a record. Much of that hype goes to Ferrari as fans of Hamilton are loyal to him, not Merc. Not to mention the obvious long term benefits for Merc of George becoming WDC as the future of the team. It's by no means a "no-brainer".

mendis
mendis

Cs98 wrote:
10 Feb 2024, 13:32
f1jcw wrote:
It's Hamilton's record and Hamilton goes to Ferrari immediately, which is why I said they won't be taking full advantage of such a record. Much of that hype goes to Ferrari as fans of Hamilton are loyal to him, not Merc. Not to mention the obvious long term benefits for Merc of George becoming WDC as the future of the team. It's by no means a "no-brainer".
I take liberty to hazard the answers in 3 categories.

1. Fans that like both Mercedes and Lewis Hamilton - "I don't mind who becomes the champion as long as Mercedes wins. Good for Lewis if he wins or good for Mercedes if George wins".
2. Lewis Hamilton only fans - "I want to see Lewis win, even if it means of no benefit for Mercedes.
3. Mercedes only fans - "I want George to win as that's beneficial to the future of the team and the brand".

Cs98
Cs98

mendis wrote:
10 Feb 2024, 13:55
Cs98 wrote:
f1jcw wrote:

1. Fans that like both Mercedes and Lewis Hamilton - "I don't mind who becomes the champion as long as Mercedes wins. Good for Lewis if he wins or good for Mercedes if George wins".
2. Lewis Hamilton only fans - "I want to see Lewis win, even if it means of no benefit for Mercedes.
3. Mercedes only fans - "I want George to win as that's beneficial to the future of the team and the brand".
I don't think Mercedes only fans would mind Hamilton winning, but they wouldn't want the team to prioritize him at the cost of Russell. End the Hamilton era with a bang or have a great start to the next era with Russell. Hamilton fans will be wearing red come 2025 so they don't have Merc's long term interests in mind. But for Mercedes, come 2025 and beyond, I'd certainly find it more re-assuring if my new team leader was a champion.

f1jcw
f1jcw

Cs98 wrote:
f1jcw wrote:
I disagree, if he scores the 8th with Merc then it is mercs record it was won in a Merc, Ferrari just have a 8 time winner driving for them instead of a 7th.
None of the hype goes to Ferrari.

f1jcw
f1jcw

mendis wrote:
10 Feb 2024, 13:55
Cs98 wrote:
f1jcw wrote:

I find no3 debatable. I doubt it matters to Merc fans if George or Lewis wins. It is Merc winning.

Sidiamal
Sidiamal

F1Krof wrote:

What will Hamilton feel?
The same thing Alonso felt when he fought for the championship in 2006 even though he knew since 2005 he was off to McLaren in 2007. "Oh cool", do everything to win the title and then skedaddle to Ferrari afterward regardless.

Luscion
Luscion

Considering Toto said himself he would still like to get Lewis his eight title before he leaves for Ferrari, I don't see why Merc wouldn't be hoping Lewis can get the title this season. It'll also be a nice wrap up to their 12 yrs together and would make what will probably a very emotional end of season for them even more so

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Cs98 wrote:
f1jcw wrote:
It's racing at the end of the day. If Mercedes have produced a car capable of taking on Red Bull? Lewis and Max will pick up where they left off in 2021 and George will have to muscle his way into that fight.

Cs98
Cs98

f1jcw wrote:
10 Feb 2024, 16:23
I disagree, if he scores the 8th with Merc then it is mercs record it was won in a Merc, Ferrari just have a 8 time winner driving for them instead of a 7th.
None of the hype goes to Ferrari.
They are driver titles, the hype and marketability goes where that driver goes. From 2025 onwards Ferrari will be the ones selling LH merch and marketing him for their products. So to pretend that it's a "no-brainer" to prioritise Lewis to the detriment of your future team leader is, IMO, nonsense.