2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
-wkst-
-wkst-

Re: 2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

peewon wrote:
27 Feb 2024, 16:22
-wkst- wrote:
27 Feb 2024, 08:54
Michael Schmidt (AMuS):

Aston was hiding over these 3 days. Some already said that they fell behind a bit, but in the last hour they pulled out the big guns (with the long run).
You could see on the faces of Krack and Fallows afterwards (in the media talk) that they were relieved. Maybe they surprised a little bit themselves (with the long run).
He (Schmidt) could imagine a funny fight between PER, Ferrari and Mercedes, maybe AMR behind VER this week.
I would treat every performance speculation as click bait unless it's backed by some data or technical analysis. Unfortunately, face reading falls short of that criteria.
For sure, but I think it's fair to say that Schmidt/Grüner are one of the more reliable sources out there. It's starts already with the fact that they are IN Bahrain, all the time in the paddock and not like many others somewhere around the world playing insider on twitter. They have their sources and know who they have to ask, unlike many others who are just untrustworthy.

NAPI10
NAPI10

Fallows & Krack seems happy with improvement and numbers seem to correlate with Wind Tunnel -
https://www.motorsportweek.com/2024/02/ ... provement/

At the end, Krack commented,"If you go through the full range of track conditions, fuel loads, engine modes, tires, we had all the five tire specs here, I think you can cover a range of five seconds. To then discern who’s ahead by how much I think it’s really, really tough".

Bisonas

organic wrote:
27 Feb 2024, 16:13
Bisonas wrote:
27 Feb 2024, 15:56
organic wrote:
27 Feb 2024, 15:29

Because Aston Martin didn't do a race simulation with Alonso
Even if he didn't do a race sim, he did the same thing as Verstappen and he wasn't far behind in race pace.
Verstappen didn't do a race sim either.
They both did long stints with probably medium to heavy load. Not full heavy load.
You mean both drivers did 3 long run stints with a certain amount of fuel and a certain engine mode

But we don't know those fuel levels and engine modes
We don't know engine modes and "exact" fuel levels on race sims either, but we tent to compare them.
We only know more or less what their minimum fuel load could have been.
So if we are ok comparing Race sims just because they don't add/remove fuel between stints then IMO we can compare similar long runs also. Either way we are just making assumptions here, biased assumption or not, they are just assumptions.

On another note, if you compare Alonso race sim last year and long runs this year you can notice that Alonso always start the stints very conservative, trying to maintain a very conservative Delta time and try to lower his times a bit at the end of the stint. (if deg allows him to do so).

he started his race sim on C3 last year on low 39s and ended the stint at low 38s

This trend, with Alonso easily maintaining his delta on his long runs and try to lower his times at the end of the stint is continuing to exist this year also, showing that AMR/ALONSO combination has very low tire deg, and that Alonso probably could have set his delta more aggressively managing a faster stint.

Personally i like this trend and what i am seeing in the long runs from AMR.

-wkst-
-wkst-

Bisonas wrote:
27 Feb 2024, 17:23
We don't know engine modes and "exact" fuel levels on race sims either, but we tent to compare them.
As the name already says it: it should simulate a race, unlike a long run ALO or VER did. Moreover on a high consumption track like Bahrain there is not much to hide fuel wise (in a race sim), in every direction.

The goal of ALO or VER wasn't however a race sim but comparing long runs with maybe a constant fuel level.

Bisonas

-wkst- wrote:
27 Feb 2024, 18:04
Bisonas wrote:
27 Feb 2024, 17:23
As the name already says it: it should simulate a race, unlike a long run ALO or VER did. Moreover on a high consumption track like Bahrain there is not much to hide fuel wise (in a race sim), in every direction.

The goal of ALO or VER wasn't however a race sim but comparing long runs with maybe a constant fuel level.
As i have already said, the only thing we more or less know on a race sim is the minimum fuel load they are starting the sim. Nothing else. They still have a lot of options to mask their pace.

Either we compare race sim in testing, or long runs stints we are just doing assumptions.

There are many things you can observe in long run stints also, you don't have to do a race sim to tell if the car can run with very low tire deg or not.

In testing that trend and behavior is more important for me, since everyone can mask their race pace quite easy, but i don't think you can mask your tire deg that easy.

xReVo
xReVo

Redbull is 100% superior to Aston Martin, so let's leave aside the Verstappen and Alonso comparison. Instead, let's compare the stints with the Ferraris and Mercedes and I must say they don't look bad (even if Alonso made constant supplies while the others did a race simulation). They are all hidden, in my opinion they also struggle to understand. The feeling I have is that further back is McLaren, but obviously I could be wrong

NAPI10
NAPI10

It seems, Lawrence has made it clear to Alonso that you are not going to Merc :D :D
https://www.crash.net/f1/news/1044729/1 ... eep-racing

peewon

NAPI10 wrote:
28 Feb 2024, 17:09
It seems, Lawrence has made it clear to Alonso that you are not going to Merc :D :D
https://www.crash.net/f1/news/1044729/1 ... eep-racing
The only think I infer from that statement is that he doesnt have a landing spot beyond this season yet and probably going to try and see if one develops in a team which might have a legit shot of competing. I think Alonso is done with Alpine type projects which are just long shots at best and fools gold most of the time.

abhi1200
abhi1200

This are testing data
Aston Martin has improved the aerodynamic platform with the AMR24. Excellent performance in the long runs, a certain lack of load highlighted on the flying lap remains to be verified, where they may have simply hidden... 👇👀

Telemetry data sector 1 and 2

Telemetry data sector 2 and 3

HARD

MEDIUM

KimiRai
KimiRai

This was (I think) before a setup change, they changed something on the front suspension, not sure if more.

NAPI10
NAPI10

The car looks competitive; at par or close to Ferraris.
Lance's struggles continue....no change there.

KimiRai
KimiRai

NAPI10 wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 15:41
The car looks competitive; at par or close to Ferraris.
Lance's struggles continue....no change there.
Lap was done much later than everybody else, its a fake result in an unrepresentative session, better wait until fp2

NAPI10
NAPI10

Is it due to set-up changes or car characteristics; this car is not that bad in 'S2'?

Mansell89
Mansell89

NAPI10 wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 17:41
Is it due to set-up changes or car characteristics; this car is not that bad in 'S2'?
Yeah I noted Alonso made time on Hamilton in S2 on those flying laps?

Good signs potentially if that was a weakness last year.

-wkst-
-wkst-

We don't know the fuel loads, but deg on the C3 is worse than Red Bull (a lot), Mercedes, Ferrari and McLaren - although ALO had the freshest tyres with the least laps...