Renault R30

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mith

Re: Renault R30

It's quite a development schedule. I was surprised at first, since I was wondering why, didn't they develop car more during the winter. I know changing owner was one reason, but later I heard, they had wind tunnel renovation which took 1,5 month.

plailleur
plailleur

Regarding the Renault engine, the RS27. I have heard before that they were allowed to make modifications during winter but I have also read numerous reports about another possible upgrade. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/82246

That would make two rounds of modifications, one which is still to be implemented. Am I right?

mith

I'm not really sure myself, but I read today interview with Boullier where he stated, they got permission from FIA to make upgrades to their engine, but not every single, they wanted as few was quite sneaky ;)

He also said, they're going to have minor updates for each race of the first part of the season. Still, I think that's pretty the same, every bigger team does.

raceman

This is good; we will see exciting races then..... :wink:

marcush.
marcush.

I don´t see the engines as a main point of competitiveness ,if Vettel is still capable of scoring point with 7/8 of the weakest engine in the field..and can post sector times as quick as anyone...that was a massive power difference...of 100 horses or more..
would Vettel be any quicker with a stronger engine? The question should be :is his laptime MAINLY restricted by engine power?
I´d say no it is restricted by grip available.you will have more power than you can use most of the lap.In braking areas you need no power at all ,during cornering the power you got is more than sufficient ,given the torque is manageable..so the way out of the corner is more a function of finding the right gearing to have proper acceleration ...so we find a difference only in:second and third thirds of straights
where the main advantage of speed comes into its own :you are unlikely to loose a acceleration and topspeedduel with the stronger and faster car...
and of course with more power you can ,if you have transform power into downforce..

Carlo's
Carlo's

10HP more for Renault engines, thanks to new oil and lubricants from TOTAL.
link

autogyro
autogyro

I find this a little hard to believe.
Fuel and oils are tughtly controled by the FIA.
More likely a marketing push by Total.
Look forward to more from other oil companies.
They will be doing all they can to maintain credibility in the alternate energy revolution after all.
If Total have a more 'efficient fuel' let someone give us the technical details.

mith

Renault's going to have new front wing and some updates to the rear wing at Melbourne.

They're also working on fixing some flaws with their suspension but it will take some time.

It's from interview with Alan Permane.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

No more huge blank spaces anymore.

Recently they've added: LADA, HP, MOVIT, and DIAC.

Why can't Sauber do the same? :roll: (Is it that in similar style to Williams, Sauber is run/owned by an older person with lesser capabilities/abilities than their younger rivals when it comes public image and marketing?)
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

timbo
timbo

mx_tifosi wrote:Recently they've added: LADA, HP, MOVIT, and DIAC.

Why can't Sauber do the same? :roll: (Is it that in similar style to Williams, Sauber is run/owned by an older person with lesser capabilities/abilities than their younger rivals when it comes public image and marketing?)
We don't really know how much those a bringing to the table. DIAC is short-term contract. Maybe Peter waits for something bigger.
However, the idea that Lopez may have better business contacts is really possible.

gridwalker
gridwalker

mx_tifosi wrote:No more huge blank spaces anymore.

Recently they've added: LADA, HP, MOVIT, and DIAC.

Or maybe "Renault" is a brand name with an extensive number of business partnerships and affiliations that provide pre-existing synergies and promotional opportunities through their high street dealership and maintenance network.

This offers a consumer-level marketing presence that Williams and Sauber simply cannot compete with.
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

threep
threep

timbo wrote: We don't really know how much those a bringing to the table. DIAC is short-term contract. Maybe Peter waits for something bigger.
However, the idea that Lopez may have better business contacts is really possible.
If you read the HP press release http://h41131.www4.hp.com/uk/en/press/h ... -team.html then it mentions partnership, not sponsorship. It lists all the HP servers and workstations they've supplied to Renault F1 and no doubt will continue to for the duration of the "partnership".

I think perception is important and its better for the Renault to have a number of logos on it, especially big names like HP, rather than empty spaces. It just makes potential sponsors uneasy if they see a car like the Sauber almost blank, doesn't enhance confidence about the future of the team.
Last edited by threep on 25 Mar 2010, 13:20, edited 1 time in total.

ElRebelde
ElRebelde

mx_tifosi wrote:Recently they've added: LADA, HP, MOVIT, and DIAC.

Interesting that Red Bull were supposed to have also been chasing HP - young, dynamic, the bees knees when it comes to public image and marketing and a faster car to boot. And they still lost out to the yellow peril.

gridwalker
gridwalker

I am currently working as a project manager for a small business with a little-known product that has to compete with multinational corporations : marketing lingo HAS to be a big part of my day to day vocabulary, but understanding segmentation and targeting goes WAY beyond simply being able to throw out a few buzzwords.

In many ways, the name "Renault" can be much more valuable to specific sponsors than Red Bull can ever be, it just depends upon whom you wish to target and how prominent you want your logo to be.

On a Red Bull, you will always play second fiddle to the Red Bull livery; on a Renault, you have no such problem.

Renault is a historic company, which subliminally implies strength, stability and reliability. These are values that a bank (such as DIAC) would want to project, so this offers a marketing synergy that would not be achieved by a tie-up with a team like Red Bull or Sauber.

Marketing strategies are much more about subconscious associations than many people realise; you need to ensure that your brands are associated with partners that reflect your values, not just your profligacy.
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

djones
djones

Renault subliminally says to me...

French
Unreliable
Poor build quality
Cheap