2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Holm86

Re: Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

timbo wrote:I don't get how air gets in the turbo :o
The intake to the turbo is underneath the intake plenum. I guess somewhere at the front of the engine that's not shown in the video.

cooken
cooken

Holm86 wrote:
timbo wrote:I don't get how air gets in the turbo :o
The intake to the turbo is underneath the intake plenum. I guess somewhere at the front of the engine that's not shown in the video.
Yes this is what I was referring to by intake. I got confusion.

mrluke
mrluke

Looks to me like the air box feeds the turbo, compressor comes around the left side to the intercooler, intercooler feeds the intake plenum hidden under the airbox.

:)

timbo
timbo

Holm86 wrote:The intake to the turbo is underneath the intake plenum. I guess somewhere at the front of the engine that's not shown in the video.
Wonder why they did so.
Only packaging or something else?

Holm86

timbo wrote:
Holm86 wrote:The intake to the turbo is underneath the intake plenum. I guess somewhere at the front of the engine that's not shown in the video.
Wonder why they did so.
Probably packaging yes. What I don't get is the single entry exhaust turbine.

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

Holm86 wrote:
timbo wrote:
Wonder why they did so.
Probably packaging yes. What I don't get is the single entry exhaust turbine.
Yes, don't quite get it...

Blackout

The PURE layout

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

dren

So that is not what to expect from the Mercedes? Interesting single inlet turbine. The packaging for an intercooler will be ineteresting. Is the single inlet with all exhausts combined better for backpressure running?
Honda!

wuzak
wuzak

Holm86 wrote:
techF1LES wrote:Official RENAULT ENERGY F1®-2014 MEDIA GUIDE
http://www.renaultsportf1.com/IMG/pdf/r ... 014-en.pdf
At least they confirm that the MGU-H will indeed be used to controll the boost pressure. And a wastegate is present for security reasons. So that discussion can be laid to rest.
And that the MGU-H will spool the turbo exiting corners, with the MGU-K kicking in later in the acceleration phase.

Also, that the MGU-K will be limited, normally, by the 2MJ limit (the amount that it can recover on a given lap). Not the 4MJ/33.3s that is the maximum.

OO7
OO7

Would there be any benefit of having gearing between the compressor and turbine, so they can run at different speeds?

wuzak
wuzak

Blaze1 wrote:Would there be any benefit of having gearing between the compressor and turbine, so they can run at different speeds?
Not allowed to. Compressor and turbine must be on the same shaft.

As for benefit, I think there would be a benefit if the compressor and turbine could operate completely independently.

That is, the turbine is connected to a MGU, which recovers energy from the turbine which can then me used to drive the compressor, the MGU-K or can be stored.

OO7
OO7

wuzak wrote:
Blaze1 wrote:Would there be any benefit of having gearing between the compressor and turbine, so they can run at different speeds?
wuzak the regs state:
5.1.6 Pressure charging may only be effected by the use of a sole single stage compressor linked to a
sole single stage exhaust turbine by a common shaft parallel to the engine crankshaft and
within 25mm of the car centre line. An electrical motor generator (MGUH) may be directly
coupled to the same shaft.

If the compressor and turbine are linked to a common shaft via gears, does that not satisfy article 5.1.6?

wuzak
wuzak

Blaze1 wrote:
wuzak wrote:
wuzak the regs state:
5.1.6 Pressure charging may only be effected by the use of a sole single stage compressor linked to a
sole single stage exhaust turbine by a common shaft parallel to the engine crankshaft and
within 25mm of the car centre line. An electrical motor generator (MGUH) may be directly
coupled to the same shaft.

If the compressor and turbine are linked to a common shaft via gears, does that not satisfy article 5.1.6?
No, because if you gear the compressor it is, by definition, not linked by a common shaft. There must be a second shaft.

ringo

Holm86 wrote:
techF1LES wrote:Official RENAULT ENERGY F1®-2014 MEDIA GUIDE
http://www.renaultsportf1.com/IMG/pdf/r ... 014-en.pdf
At least they confirm that the MGU-H will indeed be used to controll the boost pressure. And a wastegate is present for security reasons. So that discussion can be laid to rest.
Yes, it's only common sense. Good engineering design must require some kind of failsafe. It wouldn't be wise not to have one with just 5 engines per season.

And this was the reason why i felt it was needed.

As per the article
On the Renault
Energy F1, the turbo rotation speed is primarily controlled by the MGU-H
(see below) however a wastegate is needed to keep full control in any
circumstance (quick transient or MGU-H deactivation).
If there is a failure of the MGUH, of the there is transient behavior (unsteady) The MGUH can't react quick enough to limit boost pressure. So security reason cannot be understated.
Last edited by ringo on 23 Jan 2014, 04:52, edited 1 time in total.
For Sure!!