2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Luscion
Luscion

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Jdn1327 wrote:
20 Sep 2024, 16:52
DRS wrote:
20 Sep 2024, 16:36
Luscion wrote:
20 Sep 2024, 16:12

its certainly not looking good, while Russell isnt having as much issues as Lewis he's still 8 tenths off p1 (but he did have a PU problem on his prep lap) and their long runs arent that impressive either.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GX7RZZJXsAA ... name=large
Russell had a terrible outlap, Hamilton is just completely lost. At this rate he will put at least 7 tenths on Lewis come qualifying.
To be honest, while I appreciate Russell driving the car hard. Its not something you can sustain over a grand prix distance. Mercedes have done both their drivers a disservice here. This car isn't good at anything really. It's not even average.
somewhat related but if what Lewis is saying here is true Merc are still having issues with correlation

Hamilton made some interesting observations about how hard it is to drive the W15 on the limit

"I’ve been thinking about it a lot, and honestly I don’t think it’s necessarily that I’m not being able to access it. It’s just the envelope that we have is much more on a knife-edge. You’ll be in the braking zone, and the rear is out of the window, and then all of a sudden mid-corner, or before the apex, it’s in the window, and then it’s out of the window again."

"And I think it’s the aero characteristics are shifting every week. So from having a bigger wing to smaller beam wing to having the bigger beam wing to having the front wings that are flexing, rear wings that are flexing – it’s such a competitive and really challenging time I think for the aerodynamicists and for simulations, to have them make sure they correlate each weekend."

"I think it’s been probably one of the most challenging times at least for I know for my engineers. It’s been a very, very challenging time to try and get this car in the perfect window."

"When we were in Spa, we had no understanding, but all of a sudden we were quickest. We’re hoping that that comes back to ourselves on stage."
https://formu1a.uno/en/hamilton-expecti ... gapore-gp/
Last edited by Luscion on 20 Sep 2024, 17:01, edited 1 time in total.

SKYnRacing24

The worse practice session of the year but not surprised at all. The fact this team can't even turn up with a good base setup and have slip angle issues is just ridiculous tbh. Russell will bring it in qualy (6/7th). Hamilton will be out in Q2. Damage limitation weekend again. Not sure about the weather but thats there saving grace for now. Fp3 won't be representive either.
“And that’s part of the game, is being able to be adaptive, and we’ve got this new car – I don’t know how it’s going to handle, hopefully she’s great.”

DRS
DRS

Jdn1327 wrote:
DRS wrote:
Luscion wrote:
20 Sep 2024, 16:12

its certainly not looking good, while Russell isnt having as much issues as Lewis he's still 8 tenths off p1 (but he did have a PU problem on his prep lap) and their long runs arent that impressive either.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GX7RZZJXsAA ... name=large
Russell had a terrible outlap, Hamilton is just completely lost. At this rate he will put at least 7 tenths on Lewis come qualifying.
To be honest, while I appreciate Russell driving the car hard. Its not something you can sustain over a grand prix distance. Mercedes have done both their drivers a disservice here. This car isn't good at anything really. It's not even average.
Russell won't be far off come qualifying, just wait and see. When the car is at it's worst Russell shines, Hamilton can't live with him. This is a surprise to me because before 22 and put my money on Lewis shining in a poor car, I'm disappointed it turned out to be wrong.

Luscion
Luscion

Both confirmed what i said, theyre struggling to get the car to work

George Russell:
It was a really challenging Friday for us, really off the pace today, we need to understand why that is. I’m sure we’ll find some answers tonight, we made some big changes from FP1 to FP2 but the car is just not feeling that well connected as it was this time twelve months ago and in recent races so we need to try and get to the bottom of it.
Lewis Hamilton:
“This car… it feels, eish… Very difficult, very challenging day. We tried everything set-up-wise, and nothing seems to work with the set-up. It’s definitely very challenging, we’re really giving it everything, and then you find out you're a second off. I think ultimately just a little bit lost at the moment, not really sure where to put the car.”

“No [changes between FP1 and FP2 didn’t do much]. We tried a lot and achieved the same thing. At the moment we won’t be going into Q3.
Last edited by Luscion on 20 Sep 2024, 17:18, edited 2 times in total.

SKYnRacing24

Luscion wrote:
20 Sep 2024, 16:59
Jdn1327 wrote:
DRS wrote:

somewhat related but if what Lewis is saying here is true Merc are still having issues with correlation

Hamilton made some interesting observations about how hard it is to drive the W15 on the limit

"I’ve been thinking about it a lot, and honestly I don’t think it’s necessarily that I’m not being able to access it. It’s just the envelope that we have is much more on a knife-edge. You’ll be in the braking zone, and the rear is out of the window, and then all of a sudden mid-corner, or before the apex, it’s in the window, and then it’s out of the window again."

"And I think it’s the aero characteristics are shifting every week. So from having a bigger wing to smaller beam wing to having the bigger beam wing to having the front wings that are flexing, rear wings that are flexing – it’s such a competitive and really challenging time I think for the aerodynamicists and for simulations, to have them make sure they correlate each weekend."

"I think it’s been probably one of the most challenging times at least for I know for my engineers. It’s been a very, very challenging time to try and get this car in the perfect window."

"When we were in Spa, we had no understanding, but all of a sudden we were quickest. We’re hoping that that comes back to ourselves on stage."
Really appreciate these posts Luscion instead of the usual baiting nonsense from the last page. This is F1Technical for a reason and seing this insight from the champ is exactly why im here. The bolded part is absolutely grim. I know these are meant to be the best drivers in the world but gosh its no wonder Lewis has no confidence with this car.
“And that’s part of the game, is being able to be adaptive, and we’ve got this new car – I don’t know how it’s going to handle, hopefully she’s great.”

erudite450
erudite450

SKYnRacing24 wrote:
20 Sep 2024, 17:06
Luscion wrote:
Jdn1327 wrote:

Really appreciate these posts Luscion instead of the usual baiting nonsense from the last page. This is F1Technical for a reason and seing this insight from the champ is exactly why im here. The bolded part is absolutely grim. I know these are meant to be the best drivers in the world but gosh its no wonder Lewis has no confidence with this car.
I'm not sure why the mods let a lot of nonsense fly. This is a technical forum for goodness sake.

Anyway, let's hope the guys at the sim come up with something overnight otherwise it's going to be grim.

EDIT: Grammar

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

erudite450 wrote:
20 Sep 2024, 17:13
SKYnRacing24 wrote:
Luscion wrote:

I'm not sure why the mods let a lot of nonsense fly. This is a technical forum for goodness sake.

Anyway, let's hope the guys at the sim come up with something overnight otherwise it's going to be grim.

EDIT: Grammar
It is one guy that is basically making new accounts just to come here and crap on Hamilton. But yeah I’m sure the mods know it and they let it happen. This has been going on for years honestly. Next year he will be in the Ferrari thread. Pathetic but so obvious.

Luscion
Luscion

SKYnRacing24 wrote:
Luscion wrote:
Jdn1327 wrote:

The bolded part is absolutely grim. I know these are meant to be the best drivers in the world but gosh its no wonder Lewis has no confidence with this car.
Yea plus those comments about Spa and now what they're saying in Singapore with both saying they made big changes, the car is still bad, they dont understand and Russell's comments on the car not feeling like it was here 12 months ago.

Vanja #66

Luscion wrote:

As far as I can tell, we had 3 very different track configurations since Spa when Mercedes hit the nail on the head with balance. They've combined the old floor with new flappy wing in Baku and the race looked pretty much the same as Zandvoort and Monza. Maybe the Spa floor is causing some trouble too, but the biggest issue from my perspective is flappy front wing. It keeps flapping without control and causes all kinds of balance issues over a lap, both on its own variable load levels through a corner and as a consequence making the floor perfrom equally unstable. This can be compensated over a single lap with brave driving and leaning on the tires to the limit everywhere, but this kind of driving is a severe penalty in the race.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Jdn1327
Jdn1327

Vanja #66 wrote:
20 Sep 2024, 17:54
Luscion wrote:

As far as I can tell, we had 3 very different track configurations since Spa when Mercedes hit the nail on the head with balance. They've combined the old floor with new flappy wing in Baku and the race looked pretty much the same as Zandvoort and Monza. Maybe the Spa floor is causing some trouble too, but the biggest issue from my perspective is flappy front wing. It keeps flapping without control and causes all kinds of balance issues over a lap, both on its own variable load levels through a corner and as a consequence making the floor perfrom equally unstable. This can be compensated over a single lap with brave driving and leaning on the tires to the limit everywhere, but this kind of driving is a severe penalty in the race.
What does Lewis mean when he says the 'rear is in the window'? Is he talking balance or heat in the tyres? Or is it bite from the front end?

Mosin123
Mosin123

Jdn1327 wrote:
20 Sep 2024, 18:19
Vanja #66 wrote:
Luscion wrote:
What does Lewis mean when he says the 'rear is in the window'? Is he talking balance or heat in the tyres? Or is it bite from the front end?
I think he means tyre temps

dialtone
dialtone

Jdn1327 wrote:
Vanja #66 wrote:
Luscion wrote:
Simplifying, All the drivers react to is how hard the steering is, he basically has a rear that gets loose under breaking on entry and steering is too soft, then mid corner suddenly becomes hard as the rears grip while sliding so his steering has to be reined in because it would be too much, and then starts sliding again because there isn’t enough downforce after the apex to finish the corner and the steering crosses the boundary where it gets soft again, and might even need counter steering if slides too much.

Every time the car slides or grips or jumps, the steering input, acceleration and so on has to be adjusted.