2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
cooken
cooken

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

It is certainly plausible they prioritised practicing PU component replacement over pit stops. Whether such things are mutually exclusive (along all the other tasks) though is something we don't really know, but it is possible.

Demetrius
Demetrius

I'm really exciting with this new partnership, i think McLaren has the "Know-How" to build a car able to match Red Bull. If this really happen, it will be a great year for the team, althought the championiship its unreachable right now.

Alonso will have to wait another two or three years...

Demetrius
Demetrius

And i think that Boullier has been very honest with the relationship between McLaren and Honda, if your car is unable to finish a race, then why practice pit-stops?

NathanOlder

After having a quick look, they were classified 25 times out of 40 so they finished more than they retired.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

techman
techman

And i think that Boullier has been very honest with the relationship between McLaren and Honda, if your car is unable to finish a race, then why practice pit-stops?
there were occassions when mclaren could have got points but missed out due to bad pitstops. anyway rather than practicing your pitstops at your factory, just blame it honda. thats real honesty . amazing :D i call it unprofessional. cant wait till the season starts. with renault however, that blame game will not work as they will hit back just like they did with redbull.

TAG

I have a niggling feeling that McLaren letting Alonso run so much in other series may be due to the fact they know they won't be in the running for anything this year.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

alexx_88
alexx_88

Teams don't have dedicated pitstop guys, they are selected from amongst the mechanics and other garage crew. Following that, they can't practice pitstops if they're all busy changing parts on the cars

BosF1
BosF1

techman wrote:
04 Feb 2018, 04:53
there were occassions when mclaren could have got points but missed out due to bad pitstops.
Can you back up your claim with examples of races in 2017 where a better pitstop would have made the difference between scoring points and getting naught?

proteus

techman wrote:
there were occassions when mclaren could have got points but missed out due to bad pitstops. anyway rather than practicing your pitstops at your factory, just blame it honda. thats real honesty . amazing :D i call it unprofessional. cant wait till the season starts. with renault however, that blame game will not work as they will hit back just like they did with redbull.
Well, there are atleast 10 - 20 points they lost when the engine decided to stop working. So the amount of lost points due to an engine is far greater than those they lost due to the bad pitstops.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

techman
techman

Can you back up your claim with examples of races in 2017 where a better pitstop would have made the difference between scoring points and getting naught?
one example is the british gp 2017. massa finishing in 10th and vandorne 11th. vandorne was ahead of massa in race but a bad pitstop by mclaren made massa overtake vandorne.

techman
techman

Well, there are atleast 10 - 20 points they lost when the engine decided to stop working. So the amount of lost points due to an engine is far greater than those they lost due to the bad pitstops.
honda is also to be blamed but that does not mean mclaren can get away with their bad pitstops and totally blame it on honda. because like one forum member said pistops can be practiced in their factories without the need of a working engine. its called professionalism. and if mclaren can put that blame on honda, what can i say. just shame on them for hiding like a rat behind honda. regardless of what honda was , if there is a duty to be done and practice pitstops is one that can be done in their factories, they should do it and not blame and hide behind honda.

restless
restless

BosF1 wrote:
04 Feb 2018, 10:06
techman wrote:
there were occassions when mclaren could have got points but missed out due to bad pitstops.
There were such occasions(actually @autosport in similar thread 2 were mentioned). But lets not start this fight again.
We all agree Honda engine was not good enough and pitstops were subpar.
Hopefully we'll see changes for good this year

ivanlesk
ivanlesk

Did he stated when didn't they practice pits?

Do you think that mechanics, instead of practicing were just sitting around, not having anything better to do? And deliberately sabotage their pit performance?

NathanOlder

alexx_88 wrote:
04 Feb 2018, 08:28
Teams don't have dedicated pitstop guys, they are selected from amongst the mechanics and other garage crew. Following that, they can't practice pitstops if they're all busy changing parts on the cars
Very true, on the flip side, if both cars retire early on a race day, they coukd have practiced pit stops while the others were racing.
On a saturday after they only did a few laps and were eliminated in Q1 there must have been time to do a bit of practice.
Im sure it was more of a case of "why bother, were not anyway near where we should be. We will worry about it next year"
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

mclaren111

Autosport.com:
McLaren is determined to avoid having a "peaky" 2018 Formula 1 design and is focusing on making its new car's handling user-friendly for Fernando Alonso and Stoffel Vandoorne.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13421 ... y-2018-car

Is it my imagination or is this their approach since Peter Prod's arrival ??

Glad to see he is making his mark at McLaren !!