Ferrari F1-75

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
JPower
JPower

Re: Ferrari F1-75

sterumbelow wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 18:19

Haas had an oil leak (other people said a punctured radiator) and then a damaged floor.

Alfa had issues with floor flex and instability.
Makes sense. Thanks for the update.

Vanja #66

Phillyred wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 18:31
Do we think they have a "plan B" as far as fitting a more conventional sidepod "cover" (less extreme sculpting, more generic) if their wind tunnel CFD correlations are "off" by a concerning amount? OR, would it appear the whole car has been designed around these sidepods??
If I managed to get a decent airflow over the sidepods on my generic sidepod model after 3-4 iterations and all I had to do in the end was increase the intake upper lip radius from 10 to 20mm, I think everyone will agree Ferrari will be able to achieve that as well. So upper surfaces is not a problem. Wide sidepods provide a more than decent advantage with rear tyre drag and I think it's big enough to keep them even at some small downforce cost.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

godlameroso

Vanja #66 wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 18:56
Phillyred wrote:
Do we think they have a "plan B" as far as fitting a more conventional sidepod "cover" (less extreme sculpting, more generic) if their wind tunnel CFD correlations are "off" by a concerning amount? OR, would it appear the whole car has been designed around these sidepods??
If I managed to get a decent airflow over the sidepods on my generic sidepod model after 3-4 iterations and all I had to do in the end was increase the intake upper lip radius from 10 to 20mm, I think everyone will agree Ferrari will be able to achieve that as well. So upper surfaces is not a problem. Wide sidepods provide a more than decent advantage with rear tyre drag and I think it's big enough to keep them even at some small downforce cost.
You're the only person I've seen mention it so far, having the wide sidepods means less air is reaching the rear tire. This could be good or bad, you may be hindering the performance of the winglets by the wheels. The Ferrari design avoids impinging on the airflow destined for the wheel winglets unlike the Aston Martin which completely interrupts the flow by creating a recirculation region.
Saishū kōnā

Vanja #66

Not really less air, but more turbulent low-energy air. Vortices and/or eddies hitting a surface/body leads to lowering the drag and orther aerodynamic forces.

#BlessYouLaddie

Henri
Henri

Car looks good.. wanna see it on c5 tyres for a glory run

pierrre
pierrre

those louvers in that test looks to have slots that are a lot thinner

One and Only

Vanja #66 wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 18:56
Phillyred wrote:
So they can add some downforce to the rear wing without worrying too much about drag it adds?
"Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk." Tom Waits

JPower
JPower

pierrre wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 19:45
those louvers in that test looks to have slots that are a lot thinner
Same ones. Because they are inset, from the front they are barely visible and look open when looking from the rear.

Vanja #66

One and Only wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 20:06
So they can add some downforce to the rear wing without worrying too much about drag it adds?
Yes, both the rear wing and beam wings. That directly adds downforce and also works the floor even harder, for a significant additional downforce boost. In my view, current Ferrari configuration is very conservative, they will likely want to confirm the overall concept first and then add more downforce and refine it as usual during the season.

#BlessYouLaddie

One and Only

Vanja #66 wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 20:32
One and Only wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 20:06
Yes, both the rear wing and beam wings. That directly adds downforce and also works the floor even harder, for a significant additional downforce boost. In my view, current Ferrari configuration is very conservative, they will likely want to confirm the overall concept first and then add more downforce and refine it as usual during the season.
That sounds like a win-win situation. You reduce drag on parts of the car that don’t generate downforce and then can use that drag bonus for more downforce if you need it. If not then you still enjoy that drag bonus. Very clever.
"Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk." Tom Waits

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

Ferrari with high top speeds today. Could be due to low drag, could be due to low downforce, could be due to higher engine modes.

Reports coming from the track suggest it looks good on the road, very stable and with minimal porpoising.

I just hope they’re not running on fumes, though one expects they are not as Binotto made a specific point about week 1 of testing not being about lap times (which almost goes without saying).

wowgr8
wowgr8

JPBD1990 wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 23:56
Ferrari with high top speeds today. Could be due to low drag, could be due to low downforce, could be due to higher engine modes.

Reports coming from the track suggest it looks good on the road, very stable and with minimal porpoising.

I just hope they’re not running on fumes, though one expects they are not as Binotto made a specific point about week 1 of testing not being about lap times (which almost goes without saying).
They (and the other two Ferrari teams) are running spoon or spoonish wings which should explain the speed, but is also curious, why is it just the Ferrari teams running the lower drag wing?

JPower
JPower

wowgr8 wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 00:08
JPBD1990 wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 23:56

They (and the other two Ferrari teams) are running spoon or spoonish wings which should explain the speed, but is also curious, why is it just the Ferrari teams running the lower drag wing?
Who knows? All 3 teams also run a relatively tiny airbox compared to the rest of the grid and a unique front wing as well. I don't have CFD eyes to complete the puzzle.

ojir19

WASTEGATE exit ........ EDIT: compare with Alfa

Last edited by ojir19 on 24 Feb 2022, 01:00, edited 1 time in total.
okhörosinc bandhi-bandhi, mœnoghujlu sil ɥmhpleöng, kêmphád chømu kwærthwono

Zynerji

ojir19 wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 00:52
WASTEGATE exit

https://i.postimg.cc/J4YYSpxm/F175-celo ... ua-XXX.jpg
Interesting that the restrict the cross section by putting the whole pipe through instead of a coped fit. Maybe it works like a venturi, with the waste-gate helping the transition from restriction to free flow?🤔 Maybe they found a scavenge boost with wastegate pulsing? And why is the inside pipe so THICK!?!?
Last edited by Zynerji on 24 Feb 2022, 01:21, edited 2 times in total.