2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Juzh

Re: 2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

TwanV wrote:
13 Sep 2024, 12:44
Hamilton had a slipstream I believe, all drivers lost about four tenths in s3 relative to his time. Car looks good
He didn't, I checked.

Paa

Anybody listened to Max/Perez radio? I think there was nothing in the TV feed, but I wonder about their impressions on balance etc.

Juzh

Ver vs Ham best laps. Interestingly not losing anything in from T2 to T3, but massive loss on main straight. Hamilton also gains a tenth in T16, so actual loss on straight is around 0,35s. Towards the end mercedes is derating and honda is not, so they achieve more or less the same speed, Ver is even +2 kmh.

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

I suspect we'll not know true top speeds until P3 at the earliest

lio007

A tiny bit of a relief tbh, but it's early days. Let's see how the weekend unfolds and what Sunday afternoon brings.

Luscion
Luscion

https://formu1a.uno/it/red-bull-primi-c ... ari-f1-75/

Monaghan indicated that the Baku modification is a first step, given the limited time, and that there will be more to come in Singapore next weekend. “The lessons are sort of continuous and the immediate reaction tends to be in subsequent races,” he said. “So it's a testament to everyone that we made it. A lot of hard work, and that hard work will continue. Singapore is only a week away . So it will potentially be another evolution for us. So if we were able to do it for this race, it's certainly not the biggest modification we've ever undertaken in terms of changing geometry. It is a small modification. Could the effect be good? YES. And I think the concrete proof will be on Sunday afternoon.”
The floor used in Baku is a quickly modified version of the last specification introduced while the previous one, which was even used in Holland by Verstappen, has been permanently abandoned. Thus, changes in the volumes of the tunnels below the car were made to this specification. But it is not only this. Along with the new bottom was also seen a voluminous change in the design of the diffuser, which are a consequence of what was done in the less visible parts. The RB20 that took to the track in Baku shows a modification that takes cues from the work Ferrari did with the SF-24, with the Monza update, which in turn takes cues from itself. In Italy on the Rossa appeared a diffuser keel very different from the old specification, and reminiscent of the original design that was present on the F1-75 (2022). A step therefore backward to make one forward. On the RB20, the new keel is clearly evident, which was made to adhere to the old diffuser design, with a modification that therefore did not involve much expense in terms of time, somewhat like Ferrari did in Hungary.

bananapeel23

Wow they are 5 seconds slower than 2023 pole in FP1. The teams are keeping their cards really close to their chests, huh?

I usually don’t pay huge attention to FP1 times, but 5 seconds slower isn’t normal, right?

Paa

bananapeel23 wrote:
13 Sep 2024, 14:09
Wow they are 5 seconds slower than 2023 pole in FP1. The teams are keeping their cards really close to their chests, huh?

I usually don’t pay huge attention to FP1 times, but 5 seconds slower isn’t normal, right?
They were also 3s slower than last year's FP1 time. (although that was a sprint weekend so it was effectively a FP3).
Anyway, the delta indeed seems big either way. I suspect that the track got slower, possibly due to extreme high tyre pressure mandated by Pirelli, or any other reasons?

search

a mixture of all those things, I guess. But in the end, today's FP1 time was the same as in 2022, which is not super unusual.

Cassius
Cassius

bananapeel23 wrote:
13 Sep 2024, 14:09

3s to fp1. Some reasons:
Last year sprint race, so lower fuel simulation for sprint qualifying
Shorter DRS zones
Small track changes (wall turn 12 closer to circuit)
New asphalt with low grip in several corners.

TwanV
TwanV

Juzh wrote:
13 Sep 2024, 13:03
TwanV wrote:
Hamilton had a slipstream I believe, all drivers lost about four tenths in s3 relative to his time. Car looks good
He didn't, I checked.
There was a short replay of the run to the finish line during the second red flag and sainz was there although indeed he seems a little too far away for 4 tenths

Juzh

TwanV wrote:
13 Sep 2024, 14:30
Juzh wrote:
13 Sep 2024, 13:03
TwanV wrote:
He didn't, I checked.
There was a short replay of the run to the finish line during the second red flag and sainz was there although indeed he seems a little too far away for 4 tenths
This wasn't the replay of his fastest lap, but rather just a replay to show the lock up. His best S3 time didnt have any slipstream. Commentators just stupidly assumed it was from a fastest lap.

TwanV
TwanV

Clear, thanks

Juzh

TwanV wrote:
13 Sep 2024, 14:40
Clear, thanks
Honestly, im not sure why they even assumed he had slipstream. There was a heli shot following hamilton down the main straight when he did the lap. It seems they dont even look at their screens.

venkyhere
venkyhere

Paa wrote:
13 Sep 2024, 12:41
Anybody having access to telemetry can check if S3 loss is from power or drag?

BTW, it seemed to me that Merc looks particularly quick there, rather than Red Bull really slow. Most teams lost multiple tenths to Merc in S3.
the keel of the floor is back to a 'big one' => lesser diffuser expansion, lower downforce from the floor (dialing back, aiming to get 'usable downforce' rather than 'lots of it' which was spoiling balance) => more share of downforce has to come from rear wing => more drag.