2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

I don't think those have a good track record.

Sergej
Sergej

So Perez's floor made the car more predictable, was he running the Frenkenstein floor ? or was Max ?

organic

Sergej wrote:
13 Sep 2024, 20:31
So Perez's floor made the car more predictable, was he running the Frenkenstein floor ? or was Max ?
Both were running different experiments. Clearly the one they tried with Perez was better

Sergej
Sergej

ok, let's hope it's better overall and not only for Perez, he and Max have pretty different driving styles, hopefully Perez's floor will be good also for Max.

Wouter

organic wrote:
13 Sep 2024, 17:02
Suggestions that only Perez is running the new diffuser?
What new diffuser?
The FIA document didn't mention a new diffuser.
The Power of Dreams!

organic

Wouter wrote:
13 Sep 2024, 21:11
organic wrote:
13 Sep 2024, 17:02
Suggestions that only Perez is running the new diffuser?
What new diffuser?
The FIA document didn't mention a new diffuser.
There are new floors on Perez and Verstappen that are more experiments than anything else. They're modified versions of old floors

Specifically with regards to the diffuser, here is a good visualization showing one of the modified floors

Last edited by organic on 13 Sep 2024, 22:09, edited 2 times in total.

Vettel165

At Red Bull, the underbody comparison showed that Sergio Perez's version significantly calmed down the handling of the RB20. The Mexican was half a second faster than Max Verstappen, but was also running with more power.

ispano6

Perez's engineer over the radio sounds much more amicable. I always found Hugh Byrd's voice, a bit, uh CIA authoritative, not like "Victor" interview bad but just not that compassionate.

ispano6

venkyhere wrote:
13 Sep 2024, 19:30
for the first time in months, saw a friday where the Redbull's body language (both, despite the diff floors) looked 'normal, uneventful' (with a tiny hint of understeer I think).

Not reading too much into the times, the only time slice number which looked 'relevant' to me, was the sector2 times - nothing much can be hidden/sandbagged with engine modes or battery level, when in Q run mode in this sector. The car seems to have 're-discovered' it's front end, it was looking "nailed" in those quick direction change corners in the castle section.
There were quite a few moments that Max couldn't make the corner, locked up or had to take the escape road, so I don't think it was as nailed as the times suggest. He also complained of the sun messing up his braking and turn-in point and that could have also contributed too.

ispano6

This was the track that RedBull was scrutinized for their rear wing flex. Merc should have been here as well. let's see what monitoring is being reviewed this weekend. Red Bull likely working on their version as well but won't be ready or useful until another track with long straights

venkyhere
venkyhere

chrisc90 wrote:
13 Sep 2024, 20:23
Whats the overall conclusion so far then? Much better balance now? Were the long runs good?
Yes, balance looks good. Can't conclude anything from laptimes, since it was a typical friday with uncertain engine modes and fuel loads. VER and NOR were 'detuning' themselves to lose 0.5-0.6 just in the sector3 final straight alone. Plus, we haven't seen anywhere close to the real pace of McLaren, even in quali sim runs. Overall, from watching the 'body language' of the cars, Ferrari seems best, Redbull looks good, Mercedes/McLaren looked 'fine' , to my eyes.

Sergej wrote:
13 Sep 2024, 20:31
Frankenstein 1 v/s Frankenstein 2.
Both looked well in control (though Max's version was sliding a bit closer to the walls before he could apply throttle on exit) and the 'key portion' of this track - sector2, esp the castle section, with it's quick direction changes, looked "good". Good = It was not wildly understeering like a pig (unlike the past 3-4 races). Not sure whether it would start the same behaviour with full tank fuel in race trim.

ispano6 wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 00:00
venkyhere wrote:
13 Sep 2024, 19:30
for the first time in months, saw a friday where the Redbull's body language (both, despite the diff floors) looked 'normal, uneventful' (with a tiny hint of understeer I think).

Not reading too much into the times, the only time slice number which looked 'relevant' to me, was the sector2 times - nothing much can be hidden/sandbagged with engine modes or battery level, when in Q run mode in this sector. The car seems to have 're-discovered' it's front end, it was looking "nailed" in those quick direction change corners in the castle section.
There were quite a few moments that Max couldn't make the corner, locked up or had to take the escape road, so I don't think it was as nailed as the times suggest. He also complained of the sun messing up his braking and turn-in point and that could have also contributed too.
Yes, yes. I was referring to the castle section specifically, not all those 90 degree turns where Perez's car looked better than Max's

organic

ispano6 wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 05:15
This was the track that RedBull was scrutinized for their rear wing flex. Merc should have been here as well. let's see what monitoring is being reviewed this weekend. Red Bull likely working on their version as well but won't be ready or useful until another track with long straights
Reducing the front flexi wing advantage to straights is very reductive and actually ignoring their largest advantage. Their largest benefit comes at tracks with lots of corner variety (Silverstone, Barcelona, Spa) and lowest benefit at tracks with less corner variety (Baku, Singapore). It provides an extra tool to balance the front end across all corner types at once

chrisc90

Watch how quick the FIA will jump on the flexi wings when Red Bull bring one. Guarantee it

n_anirudh
n_anirudh

organic wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 07:48
ispano6 wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 05:15
Reducing the front flexi wing advantage to straights is very reductive and actually ignoring their largest advantage. Their largest benefit comes at tracks with lots of corner variety (Silverstone, Barcelona, Spa) and lowest benefit at tracks with less corner variety (Baku, Singapore). It provides an extra tool to balance the front end across all corner types at once
I might argue the opposite. Its a good chance to observe the wings at high speeds where the flex occurs and correlate it to the speed of the car. Almost a good chance to "calibrate" if you may say so. lots of 90 deg bends and a twisty middle section - Baku offers teams a setup challenge.

Sergej
Sergej

Max is still quite off on the straight, even compared to Perez; very quick in S2 though.