Williams FW35 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
turbof1

Re: Williams FW35 Renault

Sevach wrote:Now in FP2 Maldonado has the new nose (with cameras on the nose, which is new) and last years FW.

Bottas more or less has the Barcelona bodywork.
I was expecting that move. Apperently the front of fw35 chassis is exactly the same as the fw34 one, so they just took last year's nose. Between fp1 and fp2 they desected the wing from it and added it to the fw35's nose. The fact they did that makes me believe the old wing is actually an improvement. Atleast for this circuit.
#AeroFrodo

Blackout

They ran last year's L shaped dolphin fins under the nose too
They already tested this configuration in Barcelona winter tests

Sevach
Sevach

turbof1 wrote:
Sevach wrote:Now in FP2 Maldonado has the new nose (with cameras on the nose, which is new) and last years FW.

Bottas more or less has the Barcelona bodywork.
I was expecting that move. Apperently the front of fw35 chassis is exactly the same as the fw34 one, so they just took last year's nose. Between fp1 and fp2 they desected the wing from it and added it to the fw35's nose. The fact they did that makes me believe the old wing is actually an improvement. Atleast for this circuit.
Maldonado doesn't have blown ducts either.
After all that talk about alterations to the shape of the front tyres screwed Williams, somehow the wing from last year works better... this is such a screw up.

Plus after a competitive showing in FP1 the car didn't get any faster in FP2...

nacho
nacho

Did Maldonado use the hybrid spec car in FP2?

FrukostScones

old 2012 wing not stiff enough and so illegal

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 43251.html
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

zoro_f1

too bad for Williams. they were very promising with Renault engines and now they have aerodynamic problems. :(
Image “The force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded”: [Obi Wan Kenobi]

briant1
briant1

The article posted by FrukostScones confirms that Williams identified the problems to be related to the new nose and front wing not working correctly with the floor. A return to the old floor (already in Barcelona) did not do much but in combination with the old front wing the car looked immediately promising in FP1. It is however unlikely that they will be able to make a stiffer version of the old wing which complies with the new regulations in time for qualifying... what a shame :-(

nacho
nacho

But they are closer to finding out what went wrong. :)

boyracer94
boyracer94

Sevach
Sevach

Notice that even when he has the new FW the brake ducts remain the last year closed ones.

zoro_f1

they need a new floor... simply is that!
they build a car with new nose but they keep the old floor? well... they had time to make 5 new floors till now and still they are running with 2012 floor.

i don't understand why they are loosing so much time? :?
Image “The force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded”: [Obi Wan Kenobi]

Pierce89

zoro_f1 wrote:they need a new floor... simply is that!
they build a car with new nose but they keep the old floor? well... they had time to make 5 new floors till now and still they are running with 2012 floor.

They built a new floor. where did you get the idea they didn't? They tested a 2012 floor in Catalunya.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Cuky

zoro_f1 wrote:they need a new floor... simply is that!

Sorry but I have to say that I am amazed how someone can conclude what is wrong with a car by watching it on TV and looking at pictures while teams spend large amounts of money and time and are still puzzled. Looking through forums it seems that almost every team would be winning if they would employ few of us

Diff-user
Diff-user

Why are there so many vortex generators on the side pods of FW35? I suppose it must be special Monaco spec since the side pod tops were clean in Spain. But not all teams are running these VGs even in their Monaco spec (saw two on each side in the FIs, but they have been having that for some while now). Supposing its for flow attachment over the side pods alone, does Williams have a flow separation problems over its side pods that is more serious than the same for other teams?
money makes the cars go round
engines are there just for the sound
V10.......V8.......V6....... V none
And that's the story of Formula 1

Huntresa
Huntresa

Diff-user wrote:Why are there so many vortex generators on the side pods of FW35? I suppose it must be special Monaco spec since the side pod tops were clean in Spain. But not all teams are running these VGs even in their Monaco spec (saw two on each side in the FIs, but they have been having that for some while now). Supposing its for flow attachment over the side pods alone, does Williams have a flow separation problems over its side pods that is more serious than the same for other teams?
They have had 4 on and off for a long time.