2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Xyz22
Xyz22

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

AR3-GP wrote:
13 Feb 2024, 19:14
Xyz22 wrote:
13 Feb 2024, 19:09
RB will easily dominate this year unless someone pulled off the greatest miracle in F1 history
:lol: The gap is not THAT big.

Considering that Aston, Ferrari, and Mclaren have a few more windtunnel hours, they have the means to catch RB and now they actually need to deliver on that extra time rather than waste it on blind alleys.
No the gap was that big.
The RB 19 had a colossal advantage over the competition when you factor in they brought almost no upgrades and the fact they were fastest everywhere.
Highly likely that Karthikeyan would have qualified within the 107% with the RB19. :D

Luscion
Luscion

CouncilorIrissa
CouncilorIrissa

Wdym the gap wasn’t big? RB won 22 out of 23 races, a feat that was unheard of.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

CouncilorIrissa wrote:
13 Feb 2024, 19:31
The gap was consistently ahead to win all the races, but that in of itself does not indicate the size of the gap. A car 3-4 tenths ahead will win all the races but so will a car that is 1-2 seconds ahead.

In other words you can win every race by 5 seconds, or you can win them by a minute. You'll be counted as winning every race.

Xyz22
Xyz22

CouncilorIrissa wrote:
It's coping. The same happened during testing in Bahrain last year. It was absolutely clear that RB was in another league, but some people didn't agree :D

Expecting other teams to compete with RB is wishful thinking in my opinion. It can happen if either Newey completely --- up or someone else pulled an insane engineering miracle.

outsid3r

KimiRai wrote:
13 Feb 2024, 16:47
Someone who understands Italian please help, I only can understand basic words, but I think Nugnes has said at the end of the video that the expectations are of a performance increase of 5 tenths.
"si parla de una crescita prestazionale di un mezzo secondo"

Yep, more than the expectation its more of a; "rumor has it that there is a half a second performance gain"

dialtone
dialtone

Xyz22 wrote:
13 Feb 2024, 19:44
CouncilorIrissa wrote:
It's coping. The same happened during testing in Bahrain last year. It was absolutely clear that RB was in another league, but some people didn't agree :D

Expecting other teams to compete with RB is wishful thinking in my opinion. It can happen if either Newey completely --- up or someone else pulled an insane engineering miracle.
This was true regardless of this last round of car launches though. Catching up when you start behind can maybe happen the last year of rules and really mostly if the leading team has some FIA arrangement to disrupt their platform, but it's too late now anyway.

Xyz22
Xyz22

dialtone wrote:
13 Feb 2024, 19:47
Xyz22 wrote:
13 Feb 2024, 19:44
CouncilorIrissa wrote:

This was true regardless of this last round of car launches though. Catching up when you start behind can maybe happen the last year of rules and really mostly if the leading team has some FIA arrangement to disrupt their platform, but it's too late now anyway.
Hopefully the RB20 will have some unique characteristic that will make them vulnerable in some tracks so we could have some actual real battles like Vega at least 3-4 times instead of 1.

JPower
JPower

chrstphrln wrote:
13 Feb 2024, 19:18
It's a bit funny how the Ferrari is described here as outdated, basic or not very developed.

He hasn't driven a meter at the limit yet, nobody knows his potential.
According to engineers and drivers, it is a significant improvement on its predecessor, which was the best car in the field after Red Bull towards the end of the season.
Maybe we'd rather analyze track times rather than fashion value?
Exactly.

Here's the thing, Ferrari fans and management like wow and flash even if they don't like to admit it. Every Ferrari TP caved into this which often came with grand proclamations and threw Ferrari down dead end pathways. The F1 media will call it boring, slow, and conservative which will get the tifosi antsy. Time to ignore them for once.

I'm happy for Ferrari to be the conservative one this time and just focus on the basics. I thought the SF21 was a good example of that. Given the SF-24 is born of a much better starting point, we might see some good come out of this approach.

JordanMugen

Darth-Piekus wrote:
13 Feb 2024, 19:20
So Im not the only one who thinks that the car seems very basic compared to what we've seen so far. On the other hand though Im sure theres more than meets the eye
It's not the early 2000's! They are not allowed to have complex surfacing and 50-element cascade winglets even if they want to (noting computational power did not allow it even on the leading cars at that time, despite it being long before the first iteration of the minimum radius rule). So I don't think it's like the unveiling of the 2002 Toyota and fans going "well that doesn't seem very ambitious", compared to the striking new undercut design of the F2002.

So I guess it is hard to say on that sense, most of the 2024 are expected to be evolutions or along the themes of other designs on the grid.

Xyz22
Xyz22

JPower wrote:
13 Feb 2024, 19:52
chrstphrln wrote:
13 Feb 2024, 19:18
It's a bit funny how the Ferrari is described here as outdated, basic or not very developed.

He hasn't driven a meter at the limit yet, nobody knows his potential.
According to engineers and drivers, it is a significant improvement on its predecessor, which was the best car in the field after Red Bull towards the end of the season.
Maybe we'd rather analyze track times rather than fashion value?
Exactly.

Here's the thing, Ferrari fans and management like wow and flash even if they don't like to admit it. Every Ferrari TP caved into this which often came with grand proclamations and threw Ferrari down dead end pathways. The F1 media will call it boring, slow, and conservative which will get the tifosi antsy. Time to ignore them for once.

I'm happy for Ferrari to be the conservative one this time and just focus on the basics. I thought the SF21 was a good example of that. Given the SF-24 is born of a much better starting point, we might see some good come out of this approach.
On this I completely agree.
Just let's remember to remain objective while making analysis on lap times during testing. Last year i was a bit on the pessimistic side and wasn't very fun posting here :D

SoulPancake13
SoulPancake13

Of course, when the SF23 came out with a much more radicalized version of the F1-75, everyone came here talking about how this was the year and somehow everyone's CFD eyes could tell that the car would be the fastest car in the history of F1. Now the SF24 comes out, and the same people come to complain about how the car doesn't look developed at all. Haven't we learned that the real performance boosters of these cars are the floor and suspension, both of which have apparently been completely reworked? Let's save the pessimism for when the car hits the track. Both drivers came out and said that the car feels more predictable and stable and that the simulator gains were great; Cardille said they got even more performance than what they likely expected. End of season SF23 kept up with RB19 on softer tyres in race stint and matched qualy performance, maybe the engineers at Ferrari might know a little more than we do. It's a long season, testing is next week, let's all appreciate the beauty of the car and make judgements when we see real results :)

Luscion
Luscion

CouncilorIrissa
CouncilorIrissa

AR3-GP wrote:
13 Feb 2024, 19:39
CouncilorIrissa wrote:
The gap was consistently ahead to win all the races, but that in of itself does not indicate the size of the gap. A car 3-4 tenths ahead will win all the races but so will a car that is 1-2 seconds ahead.

In other words you can win every race by 5 seconds, or you can win them by a minute. You'll be counted as winning every race.
The fact that they won 22/23 races means that neither drivers nor team operations were pushed hard enough to cause mistakes, which means that they were cruising, i.e. the actual gap is bigger what the stopwatch shows.

And before people start raving about RB being a well-oiled machine -- I heard the same thing about Mercedes 5 years ago. The cracks will start to show once they are pushed to the limit, which they currently are not.
Last edited by CouncilorIrissa on 13 Feb 2024, 20:25, edited 1 time in total.

dialtone
dialtone

Is it possible to wait at least after the first timed lap of pre-season testing before we decide to fire the entire team?