2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Rikhart
Rikhart

Re: 2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

AR3-GP wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 20:58
This might be why Red Bull struggled at the end:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GXcl0_sagAA ... name=small

Track temp in Q2 was perfect for the car.
I hope they are paying attention to this kind of detail, on their detective work to fix the car.

Btw, if that temp is indeed the factor on their form, if during the race Q2 temp is replicated they will dominate.

napoleon1981
napoleon1981

AR3-GP wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 17:23
The bouncing on the rear. Why does it happen? It will not be good for tire degradation in the race.
This seems to be the big issue. I wonder if fuel weight will calm it down

Juzh

Verstappen isnt prediction a good race now with the changed setup, but what did they expect with the high DF? to just cruise up front 21-22-23 style???? What's the point in going down on DF to just make the car worse then?? Why run 3/4 of the weekend with the wrong setup that was obvious to everyone will not work?? wtf is going on? but tbh i expected something like this. these chokes are getting tiresome. Outqualified by perez - unacceptable imo.

Paa

Juzh wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 23:21
Verstappen isnt prediction a good race now with the changed setup, but what did they expect with the high DF? to just cruise up front 21-22-23 style???? What's the point in going down on DF to just make the car worse then?? Why run 3/4 of the weekend with the wrong setup that was obvious to everyone will not work?? wtf is going on? but tbh i expected something like this. these chokes are getting tiresome. Outqualified by perez - unacceptable imo.
I really don't get, as he went seemingly with the same setup for all FP1-FP2-FP3, then suddenly change it for Q.
You could see on whole Friday that he was slow in the straights and Perez comfortable, so would have made perfect sense to try that setup for FP3, before going to Qualy. I really don't get their thinking process.

Wouter

Verstappen disappointed with P6 in Baku

“I knew after the first run in Q1 that it was going to be difficult. A few things had changed on the car and that made it very difficult.
A lot of bouncing at the back, so every time when entering and exiting the corner the car bounced a lot,” Verstappen explains to Viaplay [Dutch F1 broadcast].

“That just made it very difficult. Q2 went reasonably well, but for me in the car it just didn’t feel right. I couldn’t optimize in the middle of the corner. I also had a bit too much understeer, you don’t want that on a street circuit,” the Dutchman adds.

“Q3 had to be better of course, but in that first run I made that mistake at the last corner. The car broke out there. In the run after that I had a lot of trouble with the bouncing again. And if you’re not completely comfortable with that, you can’t attack,” Verstappen continues, who does have an idea of ​​what caused the problem.

“We changed a few things and then you know where it comes from. It sucks. You always try to make the best of it. It’s not that I’m dejected in the car or anything, but I knew it was going to be difficult,” said Verstappen, who also has little confidence in Red Bull’s race pace. “With the current car it doesn’t feel good of course, but we’ll see.”
The Power of Dreams!

Sieper

Juzh wrote:
It was a change made between q2 and q3. Not some major set-up change. This happens, they brought new floor and diffusor. Are looking for the right set-up and overdid it chasing that ultimate time.

The higher DF, might not even be a choice but a necessity. For one they don’t have the super bendy frontwing.

I can remember from a few years ago higher DF was not great in the race. Max had to ask more of the tires to get the lap time back he lost on the straight. But one year is not the other and we also have budget cap now. You can’t just make any wing you would perhaps like to have.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Sieper wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 01:03
Juzh wrote:
It was a change made between q2 and q3. Not some major set-up change. This happens, they brought new floor and diffusor. Are looking for the right set-up and overdid it chasing that ultimate time.

The higher DF, might not even be a choice but a necessity. For one they don’t have the super bendy frontwing.

I can remember from a few years ago higher DF was not great in thebrace. Max had tomasi more of the tires to get the lap time back he lost on the straight. But one year is not the other and we also have budget cap now. You can’t just make any wing you would perhaps like to have.
I think that was something different. Verstappen said they made a last minute change after FP3 and they know that it caused the problems. IT's similar to what they did in Singapore last year.

I think Juzh is making it sound worse than it is. The most interesting thing about all of this is that Verstappen has been incredibly pragmatic and calm about the situation since the summer break. They made a bad change, it happens. They move on. Everyone (well, you know who...) thought they were going to get a Verstappen that is raging and burning the team to the ground when the car isn't good but he didn't give them that. He focuses on the team and how they can work and improve. Lots of simulator work, lots of patience, and he doesn't expect the situation to change overnight. Lots of mature comments to the media in recent times. In the bigger picture this is quite good for himself and the team. They learned things about the car, and Verstappen looks to do the best he can do. No amount of spilled milk in a single qualifying session is going to change history. Tomorrow, they try again.

Sieper

Exactly right.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

But according to the Mexican, his team has finally made a breakthrough in this regard: "I've been addressing these issues for ten races, or maybe even halfway through last year. It's about the direction of development we've taken," Perez explains.

"With the driving style, some drivers are more sensitive. And Max didn't feel it so much. But recently it has become so extreme that he has also had comparable problems," says Perez. "But the team now understands what's going on, which is great news for the team. Now it's just a matter of how quickly we can fix it."
https://www.motorsport-total.com/formel ... o-24091420

Curbstone
Curbstone

AR3-GP wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 01:10
Sieper wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 01:03
Juzh wrote:

I can remember from a few years ago higher DF was not great in thebrace. Max had tomasi more of the tires to get the lap time back he lost on the straight. But one year is not the other and we also have budget cap now. You can’t just make any wing you would perhaps like to have.
I think that was something different. Verstappen said they made a last minute change after FP3 and they know that it caused the problems. IT's similar to what they did in Singapore last year.

I think Juzh is making it sound worse than it is. The most interesting thing about all of this is that Verstappen has been incredibly pragmatic and calm about the situation since the summer break. They made a bad change, it happens. They move on. Everyone (well, you know who...) thought they were going to get a Verstappen that is raging and burning the team to the ground when the car isn't good but he didn't give them that. He focuses on the team and how they can work and improve. Lots of simulator work, lots of patience, and he doesn't expect the situation to change overnight. Lots of mature comments to the media in recent times. In the bigger picture this is quite good for himself and the team. They learned things about the car, and Verstappen looks to do the best he can do. No amount of spilled milk in a single qualifying session is going to change history. Tomorrow, they try again.
I think this is also a result of the shift in attitude of the team. A couple of races ago Horner still had his mantra of saying "the others were always going to catch up, we still have a great car", ignorring the complaints (most likely kept internal) by Max en Sergio, and focussing too much on the data instead of driver feedback.
Now the narrative is completely different, and I think they are working much more with the drivers to solve the problems.

MYsee
MYsee

It will be interesting how this race pans out. This is a great chance for Checo to redeem (in part) his season.

venkyhere
venkyhere

IMHO, the reduction in DF on Max's car was with Sunday's race in mind. It was a sitting duck in the 2km straight. All the advantage it had in sector2 wouldn't translate to 'able to pass before T1' , no matter how much the S2 advantage would make him really close behind the car ahead ; OR 'able to defend before T1' no matter how much the S2 advantage would make him build a gap to the car behind before T16. There is only one overtaking spot here, and that is the final straight.
Last edited by venkyhere on 15 Sep 2024, 08:55, edited 1 time in total.

Chuckjr

MYsee wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 08:37
This is a great chance for Checo to redeem (in part) his season.
Not really.

Being a one hit wonder at a preferred track does not overcome a season of failures.
Watching F1 since 1986.

Sergej
Sergej

Today the target is to finish ahead of Lando, and it won't be easy: he will do the reverse strategy and will be very fast towards the end of the race, with a well timed SC he can even jump Max without an overtake. On the other end, in a normal race (M-H) I don't see a very fast Max at the end of the race with those worn hard tyres. Let's see (and hope).

Juzh

With all those penalties and pitlane starts Norris is getting ever closer without turning a wheel in anger.