2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ValeVida46

Re: 2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Big Tea wrote:
01 Nov 2023, 23:09

We are told this, but Toto's statement said -“Mike has been one of the pillars of the team’s achievements over the past decade, and it’s with truly mixed feelings that we say goodbye to him today.

Not how sorry we are to see him go, or words to that effect?
It helps to put the whole quote out.
But on the other side, it’s clear that he’s ready for new adventures beyond Mercedes, so I know this is the right step for him to take, too.

ValeVida46 wrote:
02 Nov 2023, 09:18
Big Tea wrote:

We are told this, but Toto's statement said -“Mike has been one of the pillars of the team’s achievements over the past decade, and it’s with truly mixed feelings that we say goodbye to him today.

But on the other side, it’s clear that he’s ready for new adventures beyond Mercedes, so I know this is the right step for him to take, too.
Sounds like he’ll pop up next at Williams.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Cs98
Cs98

ValeVida46 wrote:
02 Nov 2023, 09:15
Cs98 wrote:
01 Nov 2023, 22:16
ValeVida46 wrote:
01 Nov 2023, 20:00

Then he'd be 50% up the road on Ellis's opportunities. Or does Allison need a 100% hit rate out the box :-k
He kind of does need to hit the mark instantly. By the time 2025 rolls around there will be little scope for a turnaround given how much focus will be dedicated to 2026 at that point. 2024 is a key season, a failure then will likely carry over for 2025 by simple virtue of the reg change.
We've seen progress and a change of direction since he's taken over from Elliott.
Arbitrary goals are secondary to progress.
The results we are seeing currently are no different than what we saw 12 months ago, in fact it's fair to say they are slightly further from RB now than they were then. This supposed progress is more of a speculation that the W15 will be improved, which is yet to be determined.

ValeVida46

214270 wrote:
02 Nov 2023, 10:07
That would be my guess too.

Cs98 wrote:
02 Nov 2023, 10:45
The results we are seeing currently are no different than what we saw 12 months ago, in fact it's fair to say they are slightly further from RB now than they were then.
So is everyone else.

The results we are seeing is Mercedes 2nd, which are different from the 3rd we were seeing 12 months ago.
What criticisms do you have specifically of Mercedes that you do not have for the other 8 teams?
Last edited by ValeVida46 on 02 Nov 2023, 13:08, edited 1 time in total.

Big Tea

ValeVida46 wrote:
02 Nov 2023, 09:18
Big Tea wrote:

Not sure how to interpret that either. It could sound as if he was 'assisted in his decision' or they really are behind him.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

ValeVida46

Big Tea wrote:
02 Nov 2023, 12:59

Not sure how to interpret that either. It could sound as if he was 'assisted in his decision' or they really are behind him.

You can interpret it how you wish.
I see it as very clearly and succinctly, Toto is sad he's leaving but happy he's got a new challenge. Mixed feelings.

Cs98
Cs98

ValeVida46 wrote:
02 Nov 2023, 12:46
214270 wrote:
02 Nov 2023, 10:07
That would be my guess too.

Cs98 wrote:
02 Nov 2023, 10:45
The results we are seeing currently are no different than what we saw 12 months ago, in fact it's fair to say they are slightly further from RB now than they were then.
So is everyone else.

The results we are seeing is Mercedes 2nd, which are different from the 3rd we were seeing 12 months ago.
What criticisms do you have specifically of Mercedes that you do not have for the other 8 teams?
You were the one claiming they had progressed, but if they are further away from RB they haven't progressed much have they? If your goal is to win you can't consider 3rd to 2nd a success when you are further away from the winning team than you were. But maybe you are content with not winning, idk, everyone has different ambitions for the teams they cheer. The noises coming from the team seem to suggest winning ambitions certainly, and this season would not qualify as a success.

El_KaPpa
El_KaPpa

A. Sholvin : “If we look at the performance in Austin, we look at the performance here [in Mexico], being able to race cars like McLaren and Ferrari effectively, we’d say that the track data is definitely suggesting that we’ve made a forward step.

The other thing is we collect a lot of data off the car, so pressures off the floor, pressures off the wings, loads on the car, and all that data is correlating really well with what we’re seeing in the wind tunnel.

And that’s crucial for next year, because this floor is actually a step towards the development direction that we want to take for 2024. So very encouraging signs but still a lot of work ahead of us.”
Of course I struggle. I just don’t quit.

ValeVida46

El_KaPpa wrote:
02 Nov 2023, 17:35
A. Sholvin : “If we look at the performance in Austin, we look at the performance here [in Mexico], being able to race cars like McLaren and Ferrari effectively, we’d say that the track data is definitely suggesting that we’ve made a forward step.

The other thing is we collect a lot of data off the car, so pressures off the floor, pressures off the wings, loads on the car, and all that data is correlating really well with what we’re seeing in the wind tunnel.

And that’s crucial for next year, because this floor is actually a step towards the development direction that we want to take for 2024. So very encouraging signs but still a lot of work ahead of us.”
Sure sounds like, and looks like progress to me.

Just to add, I believe it is Allison quoted as per PlanetF1.
https://www.planetf1.com/news/mercedes- ... 15-arrival

Wolff in the same piece:
Now what the car does on track correlates with what we are measuring in the simulations
And it hasn’t done that for a year and a half.

chrisc90

ValeVida46 wrote:
02 Nov 2023, 17:46
El_KaPpa wrote:

Wolff in the same piece:
Now what the car does on track correlates with what we are measuring in the simulations

Errrr, didnt they come out and say there was no simulation issues way back at the start of the season?

mendis
mendis

There is a lot of information spinning going on at Mercedes and it's not hard to understand why. There are boardrooms to be pleased. Shovlin's statement says with the upgrade, they are fighting with McLaren and Ferrari. Reality is, they started the year ahead of McLaren and on different circuits, they were ahead of McLaren even before the US upgrade. Most recently, it was a disaster in Qatar, otherwise they had better pace than McLarens. I can't wait for March next year to see if words match results.

Cs98
Cs98

chrisc90 wrote:
02 Nov 2023, 20:11
ValeVida46 wrote:
El_KaPpa wrote:

Wolff in the same piece:

Errrr, didnt they come out and say there was no simulation issues way back at the start of the season?
They said the zeropod wasn't the issue and that the sidepod wasn't a performance defining part of the car. They said they had solved porpoising in Spain 2022. They claimed they had solved correlation 5 months ago, now they're saying it again. In the end all that matters is what you put on track, and what they've put on track is more or less the same as 12 months ago. I am hoping there is some truth to these latest proclamations, but so far it's all been for the birds.

Luscion
Luscion

mendis wrote:
02 Nov 2023, 20:30
There is a lot of information spinning going on at Mercedes and it's not hard to understand why. There are boardrooms to be pleased. Shovlin's statement says with the upgrade, they are fighting with McLaren and Ferrari. Reality is, they started the year ahead of McLaren and on different circuits, they were ahead of McLaren even before the US upgrade. Most recently, it was a disaster in Qatar, otherwise they had better pace than McLarens. I can't wait for March next year to see if words match results.
I wouldn't say there were faster than McLaren, McLaren had a clear pace advantage on tracks like Silverstone, Suzuka etc, high speed corner tracks. Since the floor upgrade that's no longer the case. You also have to remember Merc is running a Frankenstein car, a car with odd sidepods that was never designed to have them and the upgrades are a test for a car that will be a completely different concept so I would assume a floor designed as a test for the W15 wouldn't have as much impact on the W14. I'm sure there's tons of performance Merc would find if they had the budget to fix their drag issues and bring in a completely new suspension like they're bringing for the 15

SSScoffee
SSScoffee

Cs98 wrote:
02 Nov 2023, 20:54
chrisc90 wrote:
02 Nov 2023, 20:11
ValeVida46 wrote:

Wolff in the same piece:

They said the zeropod wasn't the issue and that the sidepod wasn't a performance defining part of the car. They said they had solved porpoising in Spain 2022. They claimed they had solved correlation 5 months ago, now they're saying it again. In the end all that matters is what you put on track, and what they've put on track is more or less the same as 12 months ago. I am hoping there is some truth to these latest proclamations, but so far it's all been for the birds.
Didn't Lewis said they couldn't add downforce without the bouncing returning? So no sure that they fixed it

Luscion
Luscion