2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

mwillems wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 17:16
SmallSoldier wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 17:05
Marc.W wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 17:02
2nd row lock out, and I'm very excited for Spa now!
Spa is my biggest concern… A good result in Spa would be the defining moment, that should be the track where they could struggle the most.

But let’s celebrate this Qualy first!
I was thinking about point and squirt tracks, why do you think Spa will be a worry? The straights?
It’s one of the hardest tracks to find a compromise between downforce and drag… There is still a deficit in top speed and they will have a tough choice to make, be fast in S2 and take advantage of the cars strengths (and struggle in S1) or go the other way around… T1 could be difficult for the car if the challenges hasn’t been overcome yet, it was one of the biggest challenges for the team last year.

That’s the race that I’m waiting for, a good showing will validate the car and arguably create very high expectations… But I wouldn’t be disappointed if it’s a track where we struggle a little more and we don’t have the results we are experiencing right now.

MrGapes

I think Lando is the only driver with a new medium tomorrow because of his q2 lap (nearest rivals in q3)... the difference between a new and used over a race stint is quite significant, the temps might be higher... but I am more optimistic.

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 17:24
mwillems wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

Spa is my biggest concern… A good result in Spa would be the defining moment, that should be the track where they could struggle the most.

I was thinking about point and squirt tracks, why do you think Spa will be a worry? The straights?
It’s one of the hardest tracks to find a compromise between downforce and drag… There is still a deficit in top speed and they will have a tough choice to make, be fast in S2 and take advantage of the cars strengths (and struggle in S1) or go the other way around… T1 could be difficult for the car if the challenges hasn’t been overcome yet, it was one of the biggest challenges for the team last year.

That’s the race that I’m waiting for, a good showing will validate the car and arguably create very high expectations… But I wouldn’t be disappointed if it’s a track where we struggle a little more and we don’t have the results we are experiencing right now.
Yes I agree now, I pondered it in the post above and came to the same conclusions. It will be very interesting to see how the car pans out and also what upgrades others bring.

I suppose every race is a test now and the pressure will be mounting on the drivers to deliver, I think Lando is going to find it very difficult and deflect and downplay, if this keeps happening then folks are going to expect results.

And on that note, isn't Oscar doing a fantastic job? Quietly working away and keeping within 65 thousandths of a second of one of the best drivers on the grid. However we managed to poach him from Alpine, it was masterful and a wonderful decision. If we think Lando is good, the promise that Oscar shows is immense.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

It's incredible! What a high pace! I am very happy that the car went and went very well! We start from the second row. Lando has a fresh medium, I hope the team will not decide to put software on the race for our pilots, otherwise it will be a loss. We are fast on the track, which should not have been suitable for us. This is the most productive upgrade I've seen, except perhaps for the McLaren blown diffuser in 2011, when they realized in tests earlier that they lacked downforce. Lando and Oscar are doing wonders in recent McLaren history! Oscar also confirms the high speed! McLaren has the youngest squad, but very fast. Go ahead guys! Full speed ahead!

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

SmallSoldier wrote:
mwillems wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

Spa isn't a track that's going to suit any of the Mercedes powered cars. RBR will be utterly dominant there especially in qualifying with their DRS advantage. Ferrari should be a force there as well with their good efficiency. Mclaren would do well to be third at that track imo.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 17:30
SmallSoldier wrote:
mwillems wrote:

Yes I agree now, I pondered it in the post above and came to the same conclusions. It will be very interesting to see how the car pans out and also what upgrades others bring.

I suppose every race is a test now and the pressure will be mounting on the drivers to deliver, I think Lando is going to find it very difficult and deflect and downplay, if this keeps happening then folks are going to expect results.

And on that note, isn't Oscar doing a fantastic job? Quietly working away and keeping within 65 thousandths of a second of one of the best drivers on the grid. However we managed to poach him from Alpine, it was masterful and a wonderful decision. If we think Lando is good, the promise that Oscar shows is immense.
Oscar has to be one of the most mature rookies to enter the sport and yes, he is showing that the hype was right… A fantastic driver, the fact that he was faster than Lando in S2 says a lot about how much confidence he has in himself and the car… McLaren has a bright future in terms of drivers for the following years.

I’m happy for Zak, Oscar is showing that the decisions he made last year in regards to the drivers, even when it had risk and cost, where the right ones.

mwillems

Oscar has a two year contract, Expect discussions to begin this summer for a multi million pound multi year deal, they will not risk anything to let him go.
Also expect to see him buy a property in Monaco shortly 😂

-Bandit

michl420
michl420

For me, Piastri is the best rookie since Lewis Hamilton!

mwillems

Also expect to see an end to the Lando to RB conversations too if the pace doesn't drop.

-Bandit

Kaluh McLaren
Kaluh McLaren

Well said! 100% agree with this.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Hammerfist wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 17:33
SmallSoldier wrote:
mwillems wrote:

Spa isn't a track that's going to suit any of the Mercedes powered cars. RBR will be utterly dominant there especially in qualifying with their DRS advantage. Ferrari should be a force there as well with their good efficiency. Mclaren would do well to be third at that track imo.
I have a similar feeling… It will be the biggest challenge for this new package… But we just need to wait and see, they have been surprising us a lot lately… I would love a big surprise at Spa.

Darth-Piekus

Have in mind that Mclaren might bring more updates that might rectify that. It's not a matter of engine but drag.

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 17:39
Hammerfist wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 17:33
SmallSoldier wrote:

I have a similar feeling… It will be the biggest challenge for this new package… But we just need to wait and see, they have been surprising us a lot lately… I would love a big surprise at Spa.
Second fastest car would still be acceptable and despite crashing out badly in the wet conditions, Lando does have form here at Spa, it is a track he enjoys.

Wait and see is always a good approach, I feel optimistic about Spa but that may turn out to be misplaced!

-Bandit

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

I remember after Bahrain a lot of journalists were saying Oscar would be regretting his decision to switch to McLaren, talk about aging like milk.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

saputra_25
saputra_25

LionsHeart wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 17:32
It's incredible! What a high pace! I am very happy that the car went and went very well! We start from the second row. Lando has a fresh medium, I hope the team will not decide to put software on the race for our pilots, otherwise it will be a loss. We are fast on the track, which should not have been suitable for us. This is the most productive upgrade I've seen, except perhaps for the McLaren blown diffuser in 2011, when they realized in tests earlier that they lacked downforce. Lando and Oscar are doing wonders in recent McLaren history! Oscar also confirms the high speed! McLaren has the youngest squad, but very fast. Go ahead guys! Full speed ahead!
in 2011, it was not a blown diffuser. It was the fan tail (octopus) exhaust. they quickly copy RB exhaust in the first race (australia) and found 1s gain. I remembered Newey was not happy with that copy cat, but it was proven to be the mainstream exhaust design by the season goes by.