2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Paa

Re: 2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

AR3-GP wrote:
16 Sep 2024, 19:20
It makes sense that the car's aero got more peaky as time went on. Remember how the RB18 launched with massively rounded off diffuser corners? It's like they were not even using the full expansion allowed by the rules. Details like this must have given the RB18 it's nice and progressive ride height insensitive aero characteristics. As the need to increase performance continued, they started using more and more diffuser volume, and more aggressive expansion details. This comes with the downside of peakiness and ride height sensitivity.

The floor and diffuser height regulation changes that were introduced in 2023 are probably also related to this. This is when Red Bull had to go away from running higher ground clearances in order to compensate for losing so much ground clearance due to the floor and diffuser throat being raised the 10-15 mm.
This is how I see it as well.
Interestingly, Merc started with a very aggressive concept with excellent WT values in theory and then faced the same practical problems 2-3 years ago.
Even more interestingly, Red Bull(and some other teams as well, like Aston) did not learn from their example, but probably thought they will be smarter than them and will do it better.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

pantherxxx wrote:
16 Sep 2024, 23:10
Why people are so scared of Singapore? It's full of 90 degree corners which means it's easier to setup the car there. Just because Red Bull was weak there last year, it doesn't mean anything. Interestingly, Checo won in 2022.
I don't think Singapore will be too bad. I actually think the reason they were bad in Singapore last year is connected to the problems that they have now. It was essentially exposing the sensitivity of the floor to ground clearance and how peaky it had become on a bumpy track where ground clearance was changing a lot. Last year in singapore, the drivers were saying the rear was unpredictable entering the corners. This is the same problem they faced more and more this year and came to a head in Monza.

The frankenstein floor changes were brought to reduce the floor sensitivity. This should in theory help make the aero more consistent in Singapore.

Singapore is also a track where Red Bull can really use Perez to disrupt and slow the Mclarens. It's not easy to overtake so if he can get ahead on a different strategy, he can return the favor from Baku.

Sergej
Sergej

Problem with Singapore is that even if Red Bull manage to recover some pace (which is debatable), that track will see Ferrari and Mclaren shine anyway, there's no way Red Bull can be faster than them, so depending on the relative order it can be a big point swing with Lando, or a decent damage limitation if Ferrari can win or do a 1-2.

Watto
Watto

Bill wrote:
16 Sep 2024, 18:06
Watto wrote:
16 Sep 2024, 17:59
Macklaren wrote:
16 Sep 2024, 17:33
i think its legal but probably push the grey areas more than others .

I am perhaps a little suspect of them saying it would take too long to redesign front wings to better comply if they updated the rules re like AM with their front wing a few years ago and RBR with their flexing rear wing given a few weeks to comply to new test ms a few years ago they were legal in they passed all tests - as per McLaren here, but maybe not the intent of them so fair play to anyone taking advantage.All teams look for loopholes sometimes the FIA clamps down others they don’t. Until/if they change rules though it’s all above board.

just curious -- how do you distinguish between "outdeveloped innovation" and "illegal device". Esp. if the FIA has looked at it and signed off as legal, as they did last week?
i use common sense
Common sense I tend to think they are flouting the rules. But I think almost ever successful team does it. Red Bull back in the days were the masters of flexing wings and making it comply with any test, even if peak loads were well above it.

The changing of blown diffuser rules.Exhaust locations. Then the hold and cold blown diffusers, Merc with DAS. Various teams with variations of holes in the front wing running through the cockpit where the driver was required at times to cover the hold iirc was about stalling the rear wing? There were iirc rules about mechanical methods to make that work they got around it saying it was for driver cooling.

I do think the FIA perhaps picks and chooses when it wants to clamp down on such things.Where they pass every test but maybe not the intent of the test. I am very skeptical of the excuse it would take too long to have teams comply. I think if teams had to they could do it very very quickly - lose the advantage it provided but still pass every test etc.

Bill
Bill

Watto wrote:
17 Sep 2024, 02:30
Bill wrote:
Watto wrote:
16 Sep 2024, 17:59
i use common sense
Common sense I tend to think they are flouting the rules. But I think almost ever successful team does it. Red Bull back in the days were the masters of flexing wings and making it comply with any test, even if peak loads were well above it.

The changing of blown diffuser rules.Exhaust locations. Then the hold and cold blown diffusers, Merc with DAS. Various teams with variations of holes in the front wing running through the cockpit where the driver was required at times to cover the hold iirc was about stalling the rear wing? There were iirc rules about mechanical methods to make that work they got around it saying it was for driver cooling.

I do think the FIA perhaps picks and chooses when it wants to clamp down on such things.Where they pass every test but maybe not the intent of the test. I am very skeptical of the excuse it would take too long to have teams comply. I think if teams had to they could do it very very quickly - lose the advantage it provided but still pass every test etc.
mclaren rear wing drs flap partially open on straight and leave a small letterbox gap. that just straight up illegal. The drs is either open or shut completely, and you can only use it at designated location.

Wouter

Liam Lawson's F1 PASSION Ignited by Lightning McQueen! | Talking Bull

17 sep 2024 Talking Bull
Nicola Hume is joined in the Talking Bull studio by Oracle Red Bull Racing reserve driver Liam Lawson and Head of the Driver Academy, Guillaume “Rocky” Rocquelin, to find out how the team nurtures young drivers.
The Power of Dreams!

McG

No it doesn't.
Bill wrote:
17 Sep 2024, 08:33
Watto wrote:
Bill wrote:

i use common sense

mclaren rear wing drs flap partially open on straight and leave a small letterbox gap. that just straight up illegal. The drs is either open or shut completely, and you can only use it at designated location.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

Wouter

Jetzt sind die Sorgen groß. Der Red Bull von Perez war ein halber Totalschaden. Natürlich ging auch der neu zusammengestellte Unterboden zu Bruch. Die Mannschaft in Milton Keynes arbeitet ohnehin schon am Anschlag, weil laufend neue Unterboden-Spezifikationen aus dem Hut gezaubert werden.

Teamchef Christian Horner gab den Ernst der Lage zu: "Ersatzteile sind knapp. Wir werden daheim in der Fabrik fünf Tage durcharbeiten müssen, um die notwendigen Teile rechtzeitig bis Freitag nach Singapur zu bringen."
Now there are big worries. Perez's Red Bull was a half-total write-off. Of course, the newly assembled underbody was also broken. The team in Milton Keynes is already working at full speed because new underbody specifications are constantly being conjured up.

Team boss Christian Horner admitted the seriousness of the situation: "Spare parts are in short supply. We will have to work five days straight at home in the factory to get the necessary parts to Singapore in time for Friday."

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... rez-crash/
The Power of Dreams!

Bill
Bill

McG wrote:
17 Sep 2024, 12:56
No it doesn't.
Bill wrote:
17 Sep 2024, 08:33
Watto wrote:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/did-m ... /10654905/

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

The fan designed liveries for Singapore and COTA have been cancelled. The explanation given was that liveries weighed too much.

Desperate times...
Last edited by AR3-GP on 17 Sep 2024, 22:04, edited 2 times in total.

organic

AR3-GP wrote:
17 Sep 2024, 22:03
The fan designed liveries for Singapore and COTA have been cancelled. The explanation given was that liveries weighed too much.

Desperate times...
:mrgreen:

Every little helps

Paa

Imagine losing the WDC due to a fan made livery.

Sergej
Sergej

AR3-GP wrote:
17 Sep 2024, 22:03

Desperate times...
nothing to celebrate in Singapore, better not to embarrass themselves with a special livery fighting for points...

Juzh

Was rewatching some onboards from baku. Piastri made it stick from more than 8 tenths back, Leclerc couldnt attempt an overtake from anything more than 6 tenths back, and then we have RB20 who cant put a move on ferrari from 5 tenths back. pathetic.

organic

Juzh wrote:
17 Sep 2024, 23:43
Was rewatching some onboards from baku. Piastri made it stick from more than 8 tenths back, Leclerc couldnt attempt an overtake from anything more than 6 tenths back, and then we have RB20 who cant put a move on ferrari from 5 tenths back. pathetic.
That is the situation we have to accept that. Just got to get the WDC over the line and hope that the rb21 is a whole different package