Renault R30

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
forty-two

Re: Renault R30

xplor wrote:Am i the only one that see's a mclaren like duct on kubica's car? Image
I think ARX_RNLT was actually asking the same question a couple of posts ago:
ARX_RNLT wrote:Kubica's car has a some kind went like McLarren, and Petrov's does not. What's this? I sow it in already in bahrain...
My translation of the above question is:
"It would appear that Robert Kubica's can has been fitted with a vent similar to that employed on the McLaren MP4/25, but Vitaly Petrov's car does not have this feature. Does anybody know what this vent might be for? I noticed it at the last race"

Apologies ARX_RNLT if that is not what you meant.
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

Blackout

Blackout wrote:It's only for cooling purposes.

forty-two

Blackout wrote:
Blackout wrote:It's only for cooling purposes.
Is there an echo in here? :lol:

thestig84
thestig84

Def cooling. Here it is on the 29

ARX_RNLT
ARX_RNLT

Yes, this is what I wanted to say ;)

If it's for cooling - why Petrov's car does not have such???

Anyway - RF1 this weekend looks good, and number of developments - impressive. I didn't expect it will be so this year...

forty-two

thestig84 wrote:Def cooling. Here it is on the 29
OK perhaps the ORIGINAL aim was for cooling, and indeed perhaps that's all it's there for now.

BUT Martin Whitmarsh, when being interviewed about the F-Vent saga said that he thinks that other teams will have some trouble developing a copy mid-season as the tub cannot be changed to add a new vent, but he also said that there is of course a chance that they (other teams) might have an access hole which might be able to be used for this purpose. (sorry, didn't have time to find a direct quote)

This strikes me as an ideal candidate for that. Maybe if they NEED the cooling, they would only run with such an idea in the colder races?

Just thinking out loud really, happy to be put wrong.

forty-two

ARX_RNLT wrote:If it's for cooling - why Petrov's car does not have such???
Good point.

thestig84
thestig84

forty-two wrote:
Good point.
Because it is driver cooling.....he being the driver obviously chose/chooses not to run it. The shark fin does not even connect to the rear wing. If you look at the 2 current F vents they are also larger intakes.

ARX_RNLT
ARX_RNLT

i don't say it has to be connected with Mac's F-vent or something ;)

Why not to choose aditional cooling for driver? Petrov likes sauna?

forty-two

thestig84 wrote:
forty-two wrote:
Good point.
Because it is driver cooling.....he being the driver obviously chose/chooses not to run it. The shark fin does not even connect to the rear wing. If you look at the 2 current F vents they are also larger intakes.
I have to say that I agree with ARX_RNLT a little here.

Agreed, the R30's sharkfin doesn't connect to the rear wing .... YET. Perhaps this is a work in progress for which they're performing some testing on where they've got to so far? I wouldn't rule this out yet.

For example, many people in the paddock (Christian Horner included) have said that they will need to copy the McL design, but I imagine they will only fully commit to this once McL start winning races. In the meantime, they might as well take the opportuniy to do some testing with bits they can easily fabricate (such as a panel which screws into the top of the tub).

Plus, as has been discussed at some length in the forum viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8028 having a vent which blows air into the cockpit would, in itself likely have benefits in terms of reducing turbulance around the driver... Even if it doesn't have anything to do with the sharkfin (which has not yet been categorically confirmed yet anyway).

As per McL during the 2009 season, when one new part is available, it tends to be tested first on the prime driver's car. This COULD be what we're seeing here, or it might be as you say simply a case of driver preference. We don't know, but it is nevertheless interesting to speculate.

thestig84
thestig84

Interesting to speculate but I think your looking for something that isnt there.. No doubt it will be in time but my opinion is this is unrelated.

A small vent in the centre of the nose isnt anything new.

Also Kubica ran it in Bahrain which would have been a bit quick to start copying with question marks hanging over the legality.

raymondu999

Eric Boullier says it won't waste time looking into the Fduct though. It will just steam on ahead with their own aero development program.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

xplor
xplor

the air has to blown ONLY to the rear wing? it could be blowned to any part that creates down force, like one of those little wings directly below the rear wing, couldn't it? if thats the case, they wont need the engine cover to connect to the rear wing.

hollus

The possibly blown air is not creating downforce by itself, just helping a much larger volume of air create extra downforce. That's supposed to be at the back side of the rear wing. Have a look at the aerodynamic threads like this one viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8028 and others centered around the Mclaren MP25.
Rivals, not enemies.

thestig84
thestig84

raymondu999 wrote:Eric Boullier says it won't waste time looking into the Fduct though. It will just steam on ahead with their own aero development program.
Like raymondu999 said Renault are not pursuing the f vent. Autosport report this also. Think you can give up suggesting that vent does anything other than cooling now!!?!