2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
venkyhere
venkyhere

Re: 2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Sergej wrote:
20 Sep 2024, 16:31
venkyhere wrote:
20 Sep 2024, 16:17
Sergej wrote:
20 Sep 2024, 15:42
still convinced it won't be "as bad as expected" ? :twisted:
I just looked at FP2 timesheet (didn't watch) and the laptime on S (I guess it would be on S as they have to do quali sims in FP2) look totally bad. 1.2 seconds from P1. Even if half of it is engine mode sandbag it's still a mega gap. What were the two drivers' complaints like ? understeer or kerbs ? or both ?
Max didn't complain about balance, he said he simply lacked grip; I didn't pay much attention to his "fast" lap but I guess he did some mistake/had some trouble, Perez is "only" 8 tenths off; he tried a second attempt and was improving S1 and S2 but then aborted

the positive is that Mercedes seems nowhere so maybe a P5 is doable for Max, then we have to hope Leclerc can block Lando from winning.
Hmm.. no complaint could also mean he went to the 'can't be bothered' mindspace. :D
Anyway, the only way to 'damage-limit' is to qualify as high as possible, and hope that the Ferraris can pull a hat out of the bag and get 1-2 in quali.

Juzh wrote:
20 Sep 2024, 16:43
Car's just too slow. At no point in fp2 did it look remotely competitive. Complaints from both drivers about many things. Even P5 will be a struggle. Lec and Nor are clearly 2 steps above everyone else, then Sai and Pia.
I watched the highlights (or portions of it) - Mclaren (Norris) and Ferrari (leClerc) look to be on rails, except that the S3 kerb riding looks poorer on the Ferrari. Yes, the Redbull looks 'fantastically slow' on the S run, some of the onboard I saw had Max and Perez flailing at the steering like crazy, to make it turn 90 degrees. I think having to increase ride height and the 'now reduced' rear diffuser opening , are resulting in very poor DF levels.

organic

Well maybe Singapore isn't going to be providing the confirmation that they understand their issues..

Paa

venkyhere wrote:
20 Sep 2024, 16:59
I watched the highlights (or portions of it) - Mclaren (Norris) and Ferrari (leClerc) look to be on rails, except that the S3 kerb riding looks poorer on the Ferrari. Yes, the Redbull looks 'fantastically slow' on the S run, some of the onboard I saw had Max and Perez flailing at the steering like crazy, to make it turn 90 degrees. I think having to increase ride height and the 'now reduced' rear diffuser opening , are resulting in very poor DF levels.
Maybe the ditched diffuser would be better here as it has higher ultimate downforce and car is raised anyway.
But I guess even if old diffuser would be better, it is more important for them to collect data with the Frankenstein unit to make the Austin package click.

Looking at the long runs it seems ~0.5s off from Charles and ~0.4s from Norris, but Red Bull ran the hard tyre, while Ferrari was on medium and Norris on soft, so who knows really.

Sergej
Sergej

Max on main concern is the grip
"Less of a problem [handling the car] to be honest, I wasn't really struggling with the bumps and kerbs, just general grip."

not sure they will be able to fix this with setup tweak, maybe risking to worsen the car lol
you would guess that the track will rubber in and improve grip, but with daily rain it's not a given...

Sergej
Sergej

Marko is catastrophic :lol:

Helmut Marko is surprised things went this bad after FP sessions: "We have the same pace as Colapinto"

"Nothing works with Max's car. He has no grip on either the soft or the hard tyre and has no balance at all.

At the moment, I would say that the situation is very worrying. In any case, we have to try something drastic now. Let's see what we can try."

we have to try something drastic brace yourselves

search

at least the Williams is quick, though. Colapinto was somewhere around 5th in the long run averages.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

search wrote:
20 Sep 2024, 17:48
at least the Williams is quick, though. Colapinto was somewhere around 5th in the long run averages.
Fitting. :lol: :lol:

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

The VCARB uses the RB19 suspension this weekend. This proves that the issues of the RB19 last year were aerodynamic.

K1Plus
K1Plus

AR3-GP wrote:
20 Sep 2024, 18:33
The VCARB uses the RB19 suspension this weekend. This proves that the issues of the RB19 last year were aerodynamic.
My bet is the Red Bull would be equal to McL if they used the RB19 suspension, maybe even ahead like early season.

Sergej
Sergej

what should scary us is that they came in Singapore claiming "we understood what's wrong, path is right, we've something to try in Singapore" and then they are again lost; not that I was expecting to be ahead of McLaren/Ferrari here, but the comments from Marko and Max today are really worrying, and not for the Singapore GP, but for the Austin correction.

chrisc90

Maybe the engine covers are throwing them off?