2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ben1980
Ben1980

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

selvam_e2002 wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 16:47
why they did not pit the lead driver? Seems PA is clear no 2.
At thr start? Because rmtgey had to cover Lewis off. Otherwise they get 2nd and 4th, or even 3rd and 4th. And, it worked well.

Nothing to do with one and two drivers.

Darth-Piekus

What is Mclaren missing now to match Red Bull as it has closed that gap considerably. Not just Red Bull but Verstappen also as he is the fastest driver from the two Red Bulls.

runningmanz
runningmanz

Another great result for the team. 2nd and 5th. Seems Lando is better at managing the tyres in the heat for McLaren. Oscar will get better in that regard. Still a bit of a weakness for our car with the tyres though in this heat.

willmesquita

Great result, mates. We're on a long fight to be in front of Aston in the WCC. Today we got good points in a track months ago everyone say it would be a nightmare (hot + low speed).

Great strategy execution, and Piastri made a great first stint. Norris is amazing.

PS.: Norris too suffered phisically in his rookie year
To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone. ― Bruce McLaren

papayaorange.com.br

Macklaren
Macklaren

Even 4 days ago, everyone on here would have taken P2/p5 on this track with both hands! Bring in Spa, Suzuka, interlagos etc (except Singapore probably)

PS gap to Ferrari cut to 80 pts with 11 races to go!

Dimond
Dimond

Relatively slow speed corners and heat - probably the worst case scenario for the car, but still P2. Well done McLaren. Budapest welcomed all of us

the EDGE
the EDGE

Darth-Piekus wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 16:52
What is Mclaren missing now to match Red Bull as it has closed that gap considerably. Not just Red Bull but Verstappen also as he is the fastest driver from the two Red Bulls.
We know what’s missing… Lando says the slower the car has to go, the worst their performance is. That’s what has to be solved.

The package has to work through a wider window

McL-H
McL-H

I hate the media trying to blow up Lando been pit first, disregarding that Lando was under pressure. They try to start a fire within the team these unreliable “journalists”. I hope Oscar recognises what they’re doing and keep his head cool.

_cerber1

Lando is a well-deserved podium, Oscar needs time, but already now his shots in qualifying are impressive. All fears were in vain, the chassis worked well here. But, I'm still worried about Belgium, long straights can be dangerous for us. Anyway, I congratulate the team and all the fans on a good weekend.

Darth-Piekus

Today the old record of the MP4-4 of Senna and Prost with 11 continuous victories was surpassed by the 12 continuous victories of Red Bull and there is only one record left from that Mclaren which is the record of losing one race only. I will be honest and say that it kind of bothers me as those records of that Mclaren car with that fantastic Mclaren duo were done on merit without budget cap schennanigans or other illegalities.

On another note Oscar got damage in the underside of the car and that might have compromised his speed.
Last edited by Darth-Piekus on 23 Jul 2023, 17:21, edited 1 time in total.

trinidefender
trinidefender

Zak just said in an interview that Piastri had a bit of damage underneath his car.

Also said that that they pit Lando to cover Lewis.
Last edited by trinidefender on 23 Jul 2023, 17:23, edited 1 time in total.

Darth-Piekus

Yeap I suppose that is why he must have lost a lot of time.

Mansell89
Mansell89

Great result to grab a P2 at a track like Hungary!

Let’s see how we deal with the long straight in Belgium- we should be good in the high speed flowing sections.

Lots of work ahead seeing Verstappen cruise clear but massive step forward on our journey with lots of new tools to come next year and beyond.

Emag
Emag

trinidefender wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 17:21
Zak just said in an interview that Piastri had a bit of damage underneath his car.
Now it makes sense. He had very good pace in the first stint. Something felt off seeing him drop that much laptime to Lando from the 2nd stint onwards. Podium maybe wasn't on for him today regardless, but still a shame not to have the chance to fight for it properly.

trinidefender
trinidefender

Zak also said that they put Lando first to cover off Lewis and left the option later for teamwork later on (maybe suggestions of a switch if they were still 2&3)