Williams FW35 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Kiril Varbanov

Re: Williams FW35 Renault

The rear wing is the same as the one used here last year:
http://www.f1technical.net/development/363

Forza

Canadian GP - Friday 7/6/13 - via D. Stanford

stefan_
stefan_

Canada 2013 - Friday (07.06.2013)

3 versions for the FW pillars
via Tobias Grüner
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Forza

Canadian GP - Friday FP - 7/6/13
Last edited by Forza on 07 Jun 2013, 20:30, edited 3 times in total.

Sevach
Sevach

Why Bottas continues to have an non-updated rear end?

Francesc
Francesc

Because they have no clue about which one is better.

Artur Craft

I think the team is really lost atm

This kind of wing already showed to not be efficient last year.....

If you look at Red Bull, Ferrari, Sauber..... they are all going for roughly same kind of RW designs here, which is the traditional solution for a track as Montreal: very low AoA and linearity over the entire span

Williams aero guys might be seeing some good numbers on CFD and wind tunnel but that must be quite restricted to small windows of operations. Very different shape over different parts of the span of an airfoil might bring some very inconsistent performance over different conditions such as those faced on an entire lap

Or to put it in another words, the effect of the central section of this wing might vary a lot given different track circunstances(wind, yaw.... and maybe even speed) while the traditional one might put the car under more constant and predictable forces

Maybe somebody here will do some CFD tests later to further investigate this kind of wing design and it's numbers...

Huntresa
Huntresa

Artur Craft wrote:I think the team is really lost atm

This kind of wing already showed to not be efficient last year.....

If you look at Red Bull, Ferrari, Sauber..... they are all going for roughly same kind of RW designs here, which is the traditional solution for a track as Montreal: very low AoA and linearity over the entire span

Williams aero guys might be seeing some good numbers on CFD and wind tunnel but that must be quite restricted to small windows of operations. Very different shape over different parts of the span of an airfoil might bring some very inconsistent performance over different conditions such as those faced on an entire lap

Or to put it in another words, the effect of the central section of this wing might vary a lot given different track circunstances(wind, yaw.... and maybe even speed) while the traditional one might put the car under more constant and predictable forces

Maybe somebody here will do some CFD tests later to further investigate this kind of wing design and it's numbers...

How do you know this RW isnt good or effective? THe RW is hardly the deciding factor when it comes to overall package, its like the easiest bit to design.

Sevach
Sevach

As far as i've seen they only tested with the lower nose today, both last year and 2013 FWs but with the lower nose.
RW there is the spoon design and a low downforce flat one (i think it was from Spa last year).
Other than that, Bottas and Maldonado continue to have completely different rear ends.

To sum up, just a big mess.

Artur Craft

Huntresa wrote: How do you know this RW isnt good or effective? THe RW is hardly the deciding factor when it comes to overall package, its like the easiest bit to design.
My concern is that only Williams is opting for such design in this track.

And the RW is really important here, as is almost everywhere, because you need very low drag on the long straights but still some decent amount of df to allow you for better braking

A good RW's L/D relation is crucial here
Sevach wrote:As far as i've seen they only tested with the lower nose today, both last year and 2013 FWs but with the lower nose.
RW there is the spoon design and a low downforce flat one (i think it was from Spa last year).
Other than that, Bottas and Maldonado continue to have completely different rear ends.

To sum up, just a big mess.
yep. They are shooting everywhere trying to accidentally hit something

stefan_
stefan_

Canada 2013 - Friday (07.06.2013)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

techF1LES

Updated floor

wesley123
wesley123

the podvane also is split up near it's floor connection it seems
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

krisfx
krisfx

Huntresa wrote:
How do you know this RW isnt good or effective? THe RW is hardly the deciding factor when it comes to overall package, its like the easiest bit to design.

They tried it last year a few times and didn't have much luck with it. Tbh the design philosophy of Williams seems to be way off from their relative pace.

Also the rear wing is far from the easiest thing on an F1 car to design I would imagine.

Sevach
Sevach

Bottas with 2013 FW and spoon RW.
Maldonado with 2012 FW and straight RW.