Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
sprint car76
sprint car76

Re: Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

TRICKLE69

YES,YES, and yes. Don't care whose right and whose wrong. Next.

dans79

Mr.G wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 18:33
Actually, I would like to see it. I'm no expert in airo and learning lot of from the discussion...

Their are much better threads than this to learn about aero from, for example.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=27920

All you are going to learn from this thread, is how to bloviate, and how well people can disguise their own personal biases.
201 105 104 9 9 7

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

sprint car76 wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 18:42
TRICKLE69

YES,YES, and yes. Don't care whose right and whose wrong. Next.
If you don't care who is right or wrong, why are you on a technical forum? :?: :shock:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

TRICKLE69
TRICKLE69

Because I want to see and learn about the technical parts of the car. If there are true experts on here that have facts to back up what they are saying and explain that's fine. I just see a lot of back and forth between people who have no real idea what they are talking about and just argue their points with little to no facts to back them.
IT IS WHAT IT IS

LM10
LM10

TRICKLE69 wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 19:21
Because I want to see and learn about the technical parts of the car. If there are true experts on here that have facts to back up what they are saying and explain that's fine. I just see a lot of back and forth between people who have no real idea what they are talking about and just argue their points with little to no facts to back them.
What are true experts in your opinion and what kind of facts do you expect? Official data from Mercedes on how the RW behaves on their car? :)

Don't worry, there are many knowledgeable people on this forum and it's nice to read discussions. Of course, not always can both sides be right, but that's what dicsussions and a forum are all about.

dans79

LM10 wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 19:33
What are true experts in your opinion and what kind of facts do you expect? Official data from Mercedes on how the RW behaves on their car? :)
For me to personally take anything posted in the forum as an unquestionable fact, and not merely the opinion (educated or otherwise) of a fan I would require the following.
  • A way of validating who a personal actually is, by that I mean a real name.
  • Proof that the person in question actually has verifiable expertise in the area of debate.
201 105 104 9 9 7

Vanja #66

TRICKLE69 wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 19:21
If there are true experts on here that have facts to back up what they are saying and explain that's fine. I just see a lot of back and forth between people who have no real idea what they are talking about and just argue their points with little to no facts to back them.
https://www.f1technical.net/articles/

First two pages of these technical articles (during last 12 months more or less) were written by active forum members, who regularly contribute to these discussions. And that's just Features.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Morteza

Via AMuS
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

aral
aral

Just a friendly warning ! This thread appears to have descended into a disagreement between a couple of posters who have differing viewpoints. Please calm down and try to discuss the actual car amicably.
In other words....agree to disagree and move on.

humble sabot

This isn't the first thread I've seen heated arguments about flow separation on rear wings on the grounds of a single shot of flow vis after an undisclosed number of laps. Nobody here knows without confirmation from the team, on the day, how much DRS was open, and at what point in the flow vis drying cycle.

I think the new package is quite interesting. It isn't all that much in and of itself, but it does look much closer to what I had expected from this team as an evolution from the W09 into 2019 regs. I definitely agree with the prevailing sentiment that what we saw was a validation package, which they were clearly using to check up on an alternative to their initial plan.

Much ado has been made about pace, but i've yet to see a comparison to previous years at the same track.
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

Sierra117

Assuming the simplified FW is producing less downforce and the rear wing being larger producing more potential downforce, is it possible they are trying to find a balance between the benefits of high AOA/large wing while at the same time shaving off excess downforce by way of intentional separation? #noobSessions
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

DiogoBrand

What I find interesting is how they took a lot of volume off the top of the sidepods, and it doesn't seem to have reappeared anywhere else. They must have improved their package a lot to shave so much volume there.

DiogoBrand

About the rear wing:
There seems to be clear indication of flow separation, but to me that either means they're getting it to stall down the straight to decrease drag, or it's what NoDivergence said, when you can actually get more downforce with a given AoA, even though you're getting flow separation.

There are two things that don't let me believe it's unintentional:
1 - A team with as much expertise in aerodynamics as Mercedes, or any F1 team for that matter, really wouldn't get that ridiculous amount of separation if they didn't want to.
2 - If they were losing so much downforce from that as some people here seem to think, the car wouldn't survive the first high speed corner without the rear of the car overtaking the front.

GPR-A

DiogoBrand wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 07:20
About the rear wing:
There seems to be clear indication of flow separation, but to me that either means they're getting it to stall down the straight to decrease drag, or it's what NoDivergence said, when you can actually get more downforce with a given AoA, even though you're getting flow separation.

There are two things that don't let me believe it's unintentional:
1 - A team with as much expertise in aerodynamics as Mercedes, or any F1 team for that matter, really wouldn't get that ridiculous amount of separation if they didn't want to.
2 - If they were losing so much downforce from that as some people here seem to think, the car wouldn't survive the first high speed corner without the rear of the car overtaking the front.
Well summarized.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Sierra117 wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 06:52
Assuming the simplified FW is producing less downforce and the rear wing being larger producing more potential downforce, is it possible they are trying to find a balance between the benefits of high AOA/large wing while at the same time shaving off excess downforce by way of intentional separation? #noobSessions
Would it not be easier to just run a smaller rear wing (less downforce) and thus benefit from less drag?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.