2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
LM10
LM10

Re: 2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Motorsport Italy reports that the first Ferrari upgrade for the F1-75 will come in Imola. The upgrade package (modifications) is set to be split between the races in Imola and Barcelona, also making sure that there are enough spare parts for both drivers.

In Melbourne, the F1-75 will remain similar to the first two races, with only small adaptations. The Ferrari simulation is showing that even with the changes to the Melbourne track, Ferrari‘s aerodynamic configuration of the first two races should work there too.

#tami.

JPower
JPower

LM10 wrote:
04 Apr 2022, 01:16
Motorsport Italy reports that the first Ferrari upgrade for the F1-75 will come in Imola. The upgrade package (modifications) is set to be split between the races in Imola and Barcelona, also making sure that there are enough spare parts for both drivers.

In Melbourne, the F1-75 will remain similar to the first two races, with only small adaptations. The Ferrari simulation is showing that even with the changes to the Melbourne track, Ferrari‘s aerodynamic configuration of the first two races should work there too.

#tami.
Time to find out if Binotto's infrastructure upgrades have paid off. The development war is where the real action will be at.

Regardless, looking forward to Imola. I think the car should be blazing quick there.

LM10
LM10

JPower wrote:
04 Apr 2022, 01:21
LM10 wrote:

#tami.
Time to find out if Binotto's infrastructure upgrades have paid off. The development war is where the real action will be at.

Regardless, looking forward to Imola. I think the car should be blazing quick there.
I think it’s already apparent that they paid off. Seems like almost every step Binotto has done in the last couple of years was the right one and especially wisely done - with the future in mind.

Airshifter

saviour stivala wrote:
03 Apr 2022, 18:55
Airshifter wrote:
03 Apr 2022, 09:46
saviour stivala wrote:
03 Apr 2022, 06:25
(Insuring efficiency) ‘’2014 formula one power unit regulations – power unit 2014 – the changes are comprehensive, and so via straightforward explanation and with help of insights from FIA head of powertrain Fabrice Lom’’. Is a good start-up point to read all about how MGU-K harvests/harness kinetic energy from the car’s braking system that would have otherwise gone to waste. If as some persist in believing that the MGU-K also harvests/harness energy other than from the car braking system. Such harvesting harnessing of energy will be totally contrary to the aimed spirits of the regulatory body introduction of the ERS part of the power unit.
Being that the MGU-K is part of the cars braking system, I can agree that it would only harvest during braking events. But to me this does not dictate it only occurs when a driver hits the brake pedal.

And I've yet to see any regulation or directive that requires that to be the case. If anyone else has seen such a regulation or directive I like for them to cite it.
''Being that the MGU-K is part of the cars braking system (thanks for recognising that, and agreeing) that it would only harvest during braking events''. Is why I said that the brake pedal is the 'switch' that activates MGU-K harvesting. ''I have yet to see any regulations or directive that requires that to be the case'' You will not see any, simply because there is no need too as the intoducation of the new power unit statement for 2014 states ''ERS-K will harvest/harness braking kinetic energy that would have otherwise gone to waste''. Further to the above. this (MGU-K) part of the ERS system is not for free. But limited by regulations to a maximum of 2mj per lap of harvesting and a maximum of 4mj per lap of deployment. While the (MGU-H) part of the ERS system is for free in both harvesting and deployment. With the (ES) also being restricted by regulations to a maximum of 4mj per lap of deployment. And here another note. Some poeple are also wrong in still believing that because (MGU-H) deployment/harvesting is for free (unlimitted). (MGU-H - to - MGU-K) being unlimitted, (MGU-K) - to- engine crankshaft is also unlimitted. which is not the case. As (MGU-K) to crankshaft is still limitted to a maximum of 4mj per lap.
Well any time a F1 cars is off throttle it is essentially a braking event compared to most cars... even "lift and coast" slows them down quite a bit.

My point was simply that I've never seen any regs that requires them to apply the brake pedal, vs harvesting starting before a driver hits the pedal. As with deployment how aggressive or passive the system is can be varied, and it would seem to me that if harvest is aggressive it wouldn't wait for the driver to hit the brake pedal.

I'm not at all disputing the max allowances to/from any component per lap, or max power levels.

tpe wrote:
03 Apr 2022, 20:39
I haven't see in the regulation this restriction as you say. The path MGU-H --> MGU-K is unlimited.
The path MGU-K --> rear wheels is limited in terms of power (+/- 120KW).
In the Appendix 3 of the regulations (at least of the 2021) it's clear that there is no 4MJ restriction.
https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files ... -12-16.pdf

However, if you find it in another place, please send us the page. I believe it will be useful for everyone.
The max harvest and deployment figures are shown in the diagram, between the MGU K and battery.

Good find on the diagram as well, I had never noticed that one.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

‘’well at any time a f1 car is of throttle it is essentially a braking event’’. Yes it is, even without the brakes being activated. And it is because the brakes are not being activated that the MGU-K harvesting being part of the brakes is not harvesting.
‘’my point was simply that I’ve never seen any regs that requires them to apply the brake pedal’’. Why should there be when the MGU-K harvesting is part of the car braking system?.
‘’good find on the diagram as well, I never noticed one’’. That diagram have been included in the FIA technical regulations since the start of the new hybrid introduction into the championship in 2014. So no wonder why the doubt as to when MGU-K starts harvesting.

dialtone
dialtone

saviour stivala wrote:
04 Apr 2022, 05:30
‘’well at any time a f1 car is of throttle it is essentially a braking event’’. Yes it is, even without the brakes being activated. And it is because the brakes are not being activated that the MGU-K harvesting being part of the brakes is not harvesting.
‘’my point was simply that I’ve never seen any regs that requires them to apply the brake pedal’’. Why should there be when the MGU-K harvesting is part of the car braking system?.
‘’good find on the diagram as well, I never noticed one’’. That diagram have been included in the FIA technical regulations since the start of the new hybrid introduction into the championship in 2014. So no wonder why the doubt as to when MGU-K starts harvesting.
Why are you saying that the MGU-K is part of the braking system? MGU-K is not technically "part of the braking system". There's no physical way in which brakes themselves can generate useful energy except for heat (which is a waste product in braking), MGU-K is more like engine braking and it's connected to the crank shaft (so it can power it back up as well), I wouldn't be surprised if it became active as soon as the throttle is lifted unless the rules state otherwise.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

dialtone wrote:
04 Apr 2022, 08:39
saviour stivala wrote:
Why are you saying that the MGU-K is part of the braking system? MGU-K is not technically "part of the braking system". There's no physical way in which brakes themselves can generate useful energy except for heat (which is a waste product in braking), MGU-K is more like engine braking and it's connected to the crank shaft (so it can power it back up as well), I wouldn't be surprised if it became active as soon as the throttle is lifted unless the rules state otherwise.
I cannoy but repeat ''ERS energy recovery system - Motor generator kinetic (MGU-K) harness kinetic energy from brakes that would otherwise have gone to waste''. This was the official statement of the FIA since the introduction of the new power unit formula since 2014. But before that the same warding was used when introducing the less powerful KERS system.

Senna108
Senna108

“The MGU-K must be solely and permanently mechanically linked to the powertrain before the main clutch. This mechanical link must be of fixed speed ratio to the engine crankshaft.” So not part of the break system then?

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

dialtone wrote:
saviour stivala wrote:
‘’well ....
.... I wouldn't be surprised if it became active as soon as the throttle is lifted unless the rules state otherwise.
Engine Transmission and Controls section
Honda PU thread P844
Hino's post (on extra harvest) that has 37 points
might also be the place we saw hard evidence of people doing what S S says can't be done (if that's what he's saying)
iirc we have seen hard evidence
or in some similar post a bit earlier

BassVirolla

Tommy Cookers wrote:
04 Apr 2022, 09:38
dialtone wrote:
saviour stivala wrote:
‘’well ....
.... I wouldn't be surprised if it became active as soon as the throttle is lifted unless the rules state otherwise.
Engine Transmission and Controls section
Honda PU thread P844
Hino's post that has 37 points

might also be the place we saw hard evidence of people doing what S S says can't be done (if that's what he's saying)
iirc we have seen hard evidence
Right. There's evidence and agreement to the fact that the K harvests not only under "driver braking". But always you harvest, you are braking, unless the ICE counteracts such negative torque.

Also, the 4MJ rules are for the gap between max and min SOC in a session, not for net energy deployment in a lap. You can charge during the lap, and deploy before the start - finish line as many times and MJ as you want / can harvest.

ringo

The engine is permited to send 120kW to the MGUK.

In turn the MGUK has the 4mj limit to the Energy store.

But it can send unlimited energy to the MGUH and from the H unlimited to the energy store.

I suspect ferrari are simply sending from engine to K to ES.

And or they are sending power to the H with an unloaded compressor?
For Sure!!

Big Tea

LM10 wrote:
04 Apr 2022, 01:25
JPower wrote:
LM10 wrote:

#tami.

I think it’s already apparent that they paid off. Seems like almost every step Binotto has done in the last couple of years was the right one and especially wisely done - with the future in mind.
When we first came across Binotto, I stereotyped him and thought he would fail.
I was wrong. He is the guy for the job and I hope the 'higher up's' give him the free hand he needs and stay off his back.

(who said Don't judge a book by its cover?)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

JPower
JPower

Big Tea wrote:
04 Apr 2022, 12:39
LM10 wrote:
JPower wrote:

I was wrong. He is the guy for the job and I hope the 'higher up's' give him the free hand he needs and stay off his back.

I guess we stereotype differently. The cover looked like one of the smartest guys in the paddock to me. :lol:

BassVirolla

JPower wrote:
04 Apr 2022, 12:51
Big Tea wrote:
04 Apr 2022, 12:39
LM10 wrote:

I guess we stereotype differently. The cover looked like one of the smartest guys in the paddock to me. :lol:
And one guided by intelligence and not for self-belief and arrogance.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

The official statement of the FIA since the introduction of the new hybrid power unit introduced in 2014 - say that ‘’The MGU-K will harness kinetic energy from the brakes that would otherwise go to waste’’. If anybody ever harnessed energy by the MGU-K other than from the brakes, it was doing so totally contrary to the intended use as per the above statement of the regulatory body (FIA).