Mercedes W14

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Blackout

Re: Mercedes W14

I think the first part of those cannon tubes is not very involved in cooling indeed, so it's 95% aero. I Dont see how the rad hot air could reach them early, since the high fuel tanks almost wrap the rads completely.
So there is little or no airflow at 'Teamviewer' IMO, and air transits from sidepods to cannons around 'Petronas' IMO

Unless, Mercedes places some new coolers there, which could explain the sidepod top gills...

Last edited by Blackout on 21 Feb 2023, 11:32, edited 1 time in total.

stan_french
stan_french

If this is true, this does not bode well for this car. Seems like the chassis weight saving isnt panning out the way they want, and same with their rear suspension.

https://formula1news.co.uk/mercedes-suf ... g-testing/

TLDR: Mercedes suffer a rear suspension failure at the shakedown, and the chassis is apparently flexing more than anticipated.

f1jcw
f1jcw

stan_french wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 11:22
If this is true, this does not bode well for this car. Seems like the chassis weight saving isnt panning out the way they want, and same with their rear suspension.

https://formula1news.co.uk/mercedes-suf ... g-testing/

TLDR: Mercedes suffer a rear suspension failure at the shakedown, and the chassis is apparently flexing more than anticipated.
They are just repeating the "Judge 13"
Just bin it as garbage.

"However, not everything is reportedly going Mercedes’ way, with thejudge13.com having revealed that their sources have told them that the Germans discovered faults with their suspension."

Stu

Blackout wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 09:11
I think the first part of those cannon tubes is not very involved in cooling indeed, so it's 95% aero. I Dont see how the rad hot air could reach them early, since the high fuel tanks almost wrap the rads completely.
So there is little or no airflow at 'Teamviewer' IMO, and air transits from sidepods to cannons around 'Petronas' IMO

Unless, Mercedes places some new coolers there, which could explain the sidepod top gills...

https://i.imgur.com/wqU8Cs1.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/EcK2wdO.jpg
Or….
Have they ‘flipped’ the fuel tank, putting the larger volume section lower down (on the floor)?
Using the fuel tank skin as a part of the ducting seems to be a sensible thing to do, particularly if you want to put the car on a diet.
Space forward of the tank could be used for electrical items & cooling.
This way the ‘cannons’ could be used as exits for both the centreline and side-mounted cooling.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

organic

Spoutnik wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 13:29
He also says specifically that the plan B is already "in production" implying to me they'll be removing away from the zerpods.

Pippin89
Pippin89

Hi all, new here... I have seen some suggestion that Merc are using the "cannon" exit to stall the rear wing at high speed. If true, it could be pretty powerful. Any ideas if there is any weight to the suggestion?

wuzak
wuzak

Stu wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 12:04
Have they ‘flipped’ the fuel tank, putting the larger volume section lower down (on the floor)?
Isn't that where the energy store fits?

mantikos
mantikos

Spoutnik wrote:
So this definitively puts to rest any theories and those who were busy patting their backs for proposing said theories that this car isn't a zeropod.

What I gathered from the interview is that if the car doesn't perform well by the European leg, they'll introduce a b spec (like they've done at silverstone/barca in the past). They have a pipeline of upgrades coming for this spec to give it a chance to compete.

dren

Stu wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 12:04
Blackout wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 09:11

https://i.imgur.com/wqU8Cs1.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/EcK2wdO.jpg
Or….
Using the fuel tank skin as a part of the ducting seems to be a sensible thing to do, particularly if you want to put the car on a diet.
Space forward of the tank could be used for electrical items & cooling.
This way the ‘cannons’ could be used as exits for both the centreline and side-mounted cooling.
They would have to have flipped them, especially if they are already looking at abandoning the slimpod concept. It'd be an issue with the "T" style fuel tank trying to adopt any of the other concepts on the grid. I wager you are right based on cooling exits.
Honda!

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Vanja #66

F1T is the place to be :)

And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

f1316
f1316

mantikos wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 14:29
Spoutnik wrote:
So this definitively puts to rest any theories and those who were busy patting their backs for proposing said theories that this car isn't a zeropod.

What I gathered from the interview is that if the car doesn't perform well by the European leg, they'll introduce a b spec (like they've done at silverstone/barca in the past). They have a pipeline of upgrades coming for this spec to give it a chance to compete.
It doesn’t seem logical to commit to building a b spec (ie it’s already in the ‘pipeline’ - which I understand to mean they’re beginning the manufacturing process, even if not actually producing the parts yet) in a budget can era and until you know for sure how your launch car is working.

f1jcw
f1jcw

f1316 wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 19:28
mantikos wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 14:29
Spoutnik wrote:

It doesn’t seem logical to commit to building a b spec (ie it’s already in the ‘pipeline’ - which I understand to mean they’re beginning the manufacturing process, even if not actually producing the parts yet) in a budget can era and until you know for sure how your launch car is working.
I believe all this upgrade, spec B stuff when I see it, until then I'll take it with a grain of salt

w1Y
w1Y

If they really are not satisfied then what have they been doing for a year and how much cap have they wasted chasing it.

I mean I'm not confident but I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm fascinated by the cannons and what their purpose is