BrawnGP

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
kilcoo316
kilcoo316

Re: BrawnGP

vasia wrote:I say this based on what Rubens described about the car's pace. Rubens said despite the damaged diffuser and rear end the car still had strong pace, so logically in this specific case it had only a small effect.
Strong is a very relative term.

Strong compared to the competition?

Button was cruising from lap 4ish - his pace cannot be used as a barometer for Barrichello. Barrichello would never have got 2nd if it weren't for the two ahead crashing - and he wasn't exactly homing in on them.

blobslosak
blobslosak

"Strong pace" is referring to his pace relative to the competition, not to the cars potential.

pipex
pipex

blobslosak wrote:Rubens has had a gearbox change so -5 places for him.
BrawnGP is having problems with the gearbox lubrication system :(
The Mercedes engine doesn't have the gearbox lubrication system integrated in the engine as the Honda engine had.
Hope that they get that fixed soon in the next races...
Or maybe they need some "snake oil" :lol:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb84vcpIvOU[/youtube]

Edit: liqui-moly products are too good to say they are only "snake oils"
"We will have to wait and see".

zgred

This is due to the angle of the photo or it is really asymmetry in exhausts?

wesley123
wesley123

yep, the exhaust are assymetrical. The left one is fully covered and the right one is longer and less covered
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

roost89
roost89

wesley123 wrote:yep, the exhaust are assymetrical. The left one is fully covered and the right one is longer and less covered
What advantage would this bring? If any
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

Tim.Wright

roost89 wrote: What advantage would this bring? If any
I'm guessing that its a packaging thing - possibly a box of sparks (KERS unit) which is in on side pod and not the other, therefore the exhausts are not the same.

Its not much of a difference to worry about
Not the engineer at Force India

xpensive
xpensive

Worry or not, still an intreresting observation. Could it be it's the bodywork, not the exhaust, that is assymetrical?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Giblet
Giblet

Anyone understand why a car with a destroyed crash structure was allowed to continue?

Thats the only crumple zone the driver gets from behind. After that the gear box is connected to the, engine, the engines conencted to the, monocoque, and the monocoque's connected to the, driver's seat, the drivers seat is connected to the, drivers spine......

I wonder if Ralph Schumaker (sorry for bringing up that name) would still be walking after his Indy shunt(s)?
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

epitaf
epitaf

xpensive wrote:Worry or not, still an intreresting observation. Could it be it's the bodywork, not the exhaust, that is assymetrical?
It's a mercedes engine under there, and the mcclaren also has assymetrical exhausts, so it's likely to do with the engine?

BorisTheBlade

Giblet wrote:Anyone understand why a car with a destroyed crash structure was allowed to continue?

Thats the only crumple zone the driver gets from behind. After that the gear box is connected to the, engine, the engines conencted to the, monocoque, and the monocoque's connected to the, driver's seat, the drivers seat is connected to the, drivers spine......

I wonder if Ralph Schumaker (sorry for bringing up that name) would still be walking after his Indy shunt(s)?
I'd say that if the car isn't significantly damaged, the driver may continue, even if the car is not fully within the rules. So in Barrichello's case, there was only the broken lamp (i don't think that the crash structure was destroyed).

P.S.
Not that it's really important, but his name is "Ralf".

DM0407
DM0407

And 'Ralf Schumacher' hit the wall on the side of the car, during practice. A smashed up rear would not have made a difference. I also don't think the crumple zone was completely used up, the diffuser was still mostly intact.

I would imagine the broken light could have been viewed as a safety hazard, I mean, they are mandatory for a reason.

PS. I'm an awful speller too, google makes me look smarter than I really am. : )

zgred

Doe's it mean anything?
formula1.com wrote: Image
A puff of smoke from the back of Button's car didn't stop him being the first man to go below 1:37.00 in final practice

A similar plume of smoke from Barrichello, who has also had a gearbox change and receives a five-place grid penalty
Quite strange :]

DM0407
DM0407

This may not be true, but I seem to remember that the Toyota's used to smoke on the parade lap before races last year. I think they said that they overloaded oil and that some would burn on the exhaust pipe on the beginning of the run.

freedom_honda

zgred wrote:Doe's it mean anything?
formula1.com wrote: A puff of smoke from the back of Button's car didn't stop him being the first man to go below 1:37.00 in final practice

A similar plume of smoke from Barrichello, who has also had a gearbox change and receives a five-place grid penalty
Quite strange :]
They were running maximum level of oil. The team said it was normal.