Williams FW35 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Huntresa
Huntresa

Re: Williams FW35 Renault

krisfx wrote:
Huntresa wrote:
How do you know this RW isnt good or effective? THe RW is hardly the deciding factor when it comes to overall package, its like the easiest bit to design.

They tried it last year a few times and didn't have much luck with it. Tbh the design philosophy of Williams seems to be way off from their relative pace.

Also the rear wing is far from the easiest thing on an F1 car to design I would imagine.
By easy i meant you cant do much, you can do high mid low df, long mid short flap, spoon up or down, add vanes remove vanes

Forza

Canada GP - Saturday - 8/6/13
via Dickie Stanford ‏

gridwalker
gridwalker

Which combination of parts was Bottas running during qualifying? I completely forgot to check ...
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

Huntresa
Huntresa

gridwalker wrote:Which combination of parts was Bottas running during qualifying? I completely forgot to check ...
From what I could see I think bottas ran the newest fw, cause I couldn't see it being curved twice on the bottom plane.

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Engine report (from yesterday):

Q&A WITH DAVE LAMB

What challenges does this circuit present for the engine?
Montreal is a track that is hard on engines as the power sensitivity is high when compared to other circuits. There are two long straights, so a high percentage of the lap is spent at wide open throttle. Equally there are some slow corners and hairpin turns which require heavy braking, meaning it is important to keep the rear of the car stable with a low downforce setup. To achieve this we tend to use a high amount of engine braking support, which can help the driver. Gear ratio selection is also a challenge to get right as the wind can change direction down the long straight. If you get this wrong, you will have an end of straight speed deficit.

The weather was very wet today, but is predicted to improve later in the weekend – is this an issue for you?
It does not change greatly the actual way you use the engine. Fortunately we still got an accurate gauge on fuel consumption during P2, and we will correct these figures for the race conditions.

What was the programme for today?
It was very wet in FP1 so we changed the programme accordingly and carried out all our tests in FP2. Pastor had a big accident in FP1 when he went into the wall at turns 3 and 4, but fortunately he was fine. Engine wise we did not try anything particularly new; we instead concentrated on keeping the engine performance stable so the team could look at the overall car performance. Valtteri tried some new engine overrun settings in FP2 that he seemed happy with and we will carry this forward into tomorrow. The pick up out of the hairpin was also good, so from our perspective it was a positive day.

Will you be running new engines tomorrow?
Yes, on both cars. Montreal has one of the highest power factors of the year so having some extra horsepower will be useful. This is on target with our engine plan established at the beginning of the season.

Sevach
Sevach

Huntresa wrote:
gridwalker wrote:Which combination of parts was Bottas running during qualifying? I completely forgot to check ...
From what I could see I think bottas ran the newest fw, cause I couldn't see it being curved twice on the bottom plane.
I believe i saw him with old, and still with the launch version rear end.

tomazy
tomazy

Both cars ran last years FW.

Interesting nose movement (FP1), seems familiar...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIZnvkJysBc

Sevach
Sevach

Rubber :mrgreen:

Huntresa
Huntresa

tomazy wrote:Both cars ran last years FW.

Interesting nose movement (FP1), seems familiar...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIZnvkJysBc
Thats not last years FW, its this years FW with the 3 plane cascade and 2nd cascade that is alone and not attached to main cascade.

Sevach
Sevach

That's from friday, today Bottas qualified on the 2012 wing.
And this new nose cone looks to be moving like last years Red Bull.

Francesc
Francesc

Maldonado ran with the old rear end during qualifying

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Williams low drag RW analysis from Gary Anderson.

via AutoSport

flyboy2160
flyboy2160

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Williams low drag RW analysis from Gary Anderson....
Rant start: Ok, I'm going to be the aero-nitpicky-Nazi here because I'm getting tired of non-aero people guessing about aero stuff to the tune of violating the laws of physics and other people using the wrong terms, thus confusing things even more..

Yes, technically the middle section of that rear wing does have a slightly shorter chord, but the main reason it produces less downforce is because its Angle of Attack (AOA) is much less than the outer sections.

Rant Over.

Huntresa
Huntresa

Even with explanation of what the wing does its strange that we have seen both the upwards RW and downwards RW from Williams on low downforce tracks, i think they used the downwards wing in Spa once, same year they used upwards for the first time at Canada.

How can the exact opposite of something be true for tracks that demand low downforce ?

flyboy2160
flyboy2160

Huntresa wrote:Even with explanation of what the wing does its strange that we have seen both the upwards RW and downwards RW from Williams on low downforce tracks, i think they used the downwards wing in Spa once, same year they used upwards for the first time at Canada.

How can the exact opposite of something be true for tracks that demand low downforce ?
The wing humped the other way has the AOA of the outer panels lowered in relation to the AOA of the center section - that is, the opposite of this latest Williams wing. It accomplishes the same thing - lowering of the down force. But I still don't know why these are better than just changing the overall AOA (and chord) of a straight wing section, like most other teams do.

edit: I can see how the latest version of the spoon wing might be easier to implement since it could leave the outboard attachments to the supports the same, thus you wouldn't have to fabricate/change the outboard supports just to change the wing. I guess/suspect/hypothesize that even though F1 used to be 'cost is no object', some of these teams are starting to consider manufacturing cost/time/schedule in the designs.