2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Mansell89
Mansell89

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

_cerber1 wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 20:19
More than 1000 km, for a new Renault engine, a good test.
I agree- this has been overlooked a little today because naturally a lot of the media attention hasn’t been on the Red Bull Honda.

However, Renault have introduced what they’ve been saying is a big change in the PU and thankfully it’s ran very well in both teams.

Here’s hoping that continues.

KingHamilton01

Sainz mentioned that they had a balance issue, so hopefully with some set-up work they can dial the car in and well see car get quicker as week goes on, Hopefully Lando get's plenty of laps 2morrow as you feel he needs them more than Sainz!
McLaren Mercedes

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Speed trap times anyone?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

godlameroso

Based on Sainz comments I think they will have a car that can mix it up in the midfield, probably at the front of the other guys, but likely a second behind the benchmark. If they make inroads on that gap it'll be a good season.
Saishū kōnā

makecry
makecry

So some Brazilian journo On Twitter is saying mclaren is not as good as expected and she won’t be surprised if it’s at back of the grid in Australia. 🤦🏻‍♂️

ivanlesk
ivanlesk

makecry wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 23:17
So some Brazilian journo On Twitter is saying mclaren is not as good as expected and she won’t be surprised if it’s at back of the grid in Australia. 🤦🏻‍♂️
After day one of first test?.
Uh, she must be an expert then

makecry
makecry

ivanlesk wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 23:24
makecry wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 23:17
After day one of first test?.
Uh, she must be an expert then

https://twitter.com/jucerasoli/status/1 ... 0386739202

She got it from the engineers. Might be bullshit but after last year, I don’t know.

godlameroso

"Engineers who went to the edge of the track spying on rivals speak in an uneven balance. But I also heard that McLaren is worse than expected and, of course, we did not see Williams. It would not be surprising to see these two teams at the back of the grid in Melbourne"

Sainz: "I think there is a lot to improve on the car still. Today we managed to learn a lot of things, we managed to see the underlying balance issues with the car, what we need to improve, “ he said.
“Now we have the directions. Once we have identified the balance issues and where we want to go, we will start working.”

To me it doesn't seem that bad, obviously the car needs fine tuning, since it's such a radical departure from what they had last year. It'll take them a while to get enough data to get a clear plan of how to develop and set up the car. I think they can gain a fair bit of time once they understand the car and can set it up properly.
Saishū kōnā

willmesquita

I do prefer a fast car with an erratic behaviour (like we saw in Sainz best lap today) than a slow and docile car without speed at any speed trap at all.

Too soon to know, but til now I am satisfied.
To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone. ― Bruce McLaren

papayaorange.com.br

godlameroso

I think there's a fair bit of potential, but it will take developing the car, fine tuning it. The performance is there, it's just rough around the edges, if they improve the balance they can attack with more confidence which will let the natural speed of the car show.
Saishū kōnā

RonDennis
RonDennis

willmesquita wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 00:38
I do prefer a fast car with an erratic behaviour (like we saw in Sainz best lap today) than a slow and docile car without speed at any speed trap at all.

Too soon to know, but til now I am satisfied.
That was actually a long run, so it could be unstable because of the full tank. In my opinion it's most important that they have fixed the fundamental flaw and according to Sainz that has been the case, which means they should be able to develop this car quickly, like McLaren has been doing before 2018.

PhillipM
PhillipM

So basically, word from someone stood at one corner, on day one of testing, and went - that car is twitchy there, back of the grid! :D

adrianjordan

I might be wrong and I know it's testing, but you don't set the second fastest lap time by having a slow car that's hard to drive.

Unless they're doing whatever the opposite of sandbagging is, which I very much doubt.

I think there's a very real chance of 4th in WCC and the odd podium this season.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

makecry
makecry

PhillipM wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 01:10
So basically, word from someone stood at one corner, on day one of testing, and went - that car is twitchy there, back of the grid! :D
It's too early to say yes but it looks like she "heard" it from the engineers. FWIW, Alberta Fabrega has been saying the car is sluggish but I have a inkling feeling he is purposely not giving McLaren much attention because of his public spat with Zak Brown last year.

godlameroso

Let's be realistic, a heavily fueled car(which would make sense seeing lap times in the 23's) is by definition harder to drive, especially seeing as this is essentially a shakedown. McLaren have only driven this car virtually, furthermore this is day one, obviously the car is lacking pace at the moment, and I'm sure it'll improve as they get the balance right.
Saishū kōnā