Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Sierra117

Re: Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

Just_a_fan wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 09:38
Sierra117 wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 06:52
Assuming the simplified FW is producing less downforce and the rear wing being larger producing more potential downforce, is it possible they are trying to find a balance between the benefits of high AOA/large wing while at the same time shaving off excess downforce by way of intentional separation? #noobSessions
Would it not be easier to just run a smaller rear wing (less downforce) and thus benefit from less drag?
Maybe, sure, but just a noob thought as I'm sure you'd get some sort of downforce advantage of the new wing to benefit from on twisty bits. I mean, they have 2018 regulation wings to compare with.
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

Morteza

Via @AlbertFabrega
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

atanatizante

If I'm not wrong they have two versions of the new FW. Could someone give some thoughts about the one in which the cape join the elongated nose pillars?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

javspace
javspace

atanatizante wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 10:37
If I'm not wrong they have two versions of the new FW. Could someone give some thoughts about the one in which the cape join the elongated nose pillars?
It's already been discussed on previous pages :roll:

Leon
Leon

Morteza wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 10:34
Via @AlbertFabrega
"Clouds now and again
give a soul some respite from
moon-gazing-behold."

Matsuo Basho

turbof1

DiogoBrand wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 07:20
About the rear wing:
There seems to be clear indication of flow separation, but to me that either means they're getting it to stall down the straight to decrease drag, or it's what NoDivergence said, when you can actually get more downforce with a given AoA, even though you're getting flow separation.

There are two things that don't let me believe it's unintentional:
1 - A team with as much expertise in aerodynamics as Mercedes, or any F1 team for that matter, really wouldn't get that ridiculous amount of separation if they didn't want to.
2 - If they were losing so much downforce from that as some people here seem to think, the car wouldn't survive the first high speed corner without the rear of the car overtaking the front.
I think you got the wrong impression. Nobody, literally nobody, accused Mercedes of being naïve and bringing unknowingly a rear wing where they are suddenly confronted with a huge amount of separation. The statement simply was that it was too much separation. I'll try to be a bit more gentle in my opinion today and leave it in the middle if it effectively is too much.

My opinion is rather that they trying stuff out and try to see just with how much they can get away with. We shouldn't forget that this is an extremely hard working wing, irrespective if they got it spot on or not, and the limited cfd resources might not get it predicted precise enough with just how much separation they can get away with. That's what they are doing now: testing. Coating the wing in flow viz and get indications in which direction they have to head to. If you compare the flow with last year, you will see there is much more separation going on, with in the middle a vortex bubble and near the trailing edge turbulent flow separation, with inbetween a turbulent boundary layer. Like Vanja said, from every flow viz pictures we have seen from Mercedes throughout the years, this is the most separation we have ever seen on their wings (I'm not saying they never ran wings before with so much separation, only that this is the most by far they have ever shown).

Again, that's not critizism towards Mercedes. For me it's just an indication they are looking to push the wing to its absolute peak downforce and that simply requires experimentation on track. Because someone says "hey look at this picture. in my opinion this shows too much separation" does not mean said person claims Mercedes got it wrong. Do note there are further complications with a wing being that much on the edge, as it will be much more sensitive to yaw, head and tail winds and even following a car in the turbulent wake. We did see the wing have very asymmetrical patterns on the 2 halfs of the rear wing, indicating yaw is having a rather big impact.

I'm sure Mercedes will further adjust the wing and finetune it. Let's grasp this as an opportunity to talk aerodynamics instead of being at eachothers troats who is right or wrong, or bringing doubt. Rather let's keep it simple: we all look at that wing and bring constructive arguments and counter arguments, like NoDivergence did.
#AeroFrodo

MuseF1
MuseF1

Leon wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 11:02
Morteza wrote:
Via @AlbertFabrega
https://i.ibb.co/tJJ5wz4/inlet.jpg
Maybe it's the angle of the image, or maybe i'm out of the loop, but on the sidepod, the top of the inlet looks like it might be curved now? Rather than straight as in the top image.

MuseF1
MuseF1

MuseF1 wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 15:31
Leon wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 11:02
Morteza wrote:
Via @AlbertFabrega
Maybe it's the angle of the image, or maybe i'm out of the loop, but on the sidepod, the top of the inlet looks like it might be curved now? Rather than straight as in the top image.
Edit: Oh nevermind, I think what I'm seeing is the mirror mount. Bernie says "think before posting!"

Unc1eM0nty

The vertical strake on the floor (dead centre of the lower image) is almost 90 degrees from the air flow, super aggressive flow management.

[/quote]
[/quote]

GPR-A

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14180 ... est-window

Excerpts from Bottas.
Bottas said Mercedes has suffered "quite a bit with graining" in the cooler conditions in the morning and late afternoon in testing.

While he believes other teams are encountering the same problem, he said it is "quite difficult to learn anything on the car" when that occurs.

"There's a very small window to get the tyres to work," Bottas added.

"The early morning runs, or even two hours before lunch, versus after that, when it's cooler - it can make a massive difference.

"In the very warm temperature you could do a two-stop race. If you run too early in the morning or too late in the afternoon you'd have to do four or five stops.

"That makes it difficult to read compared to others."

"I really feel there are areas the car has made good steps forward, in slow-speed corners the car feels better than last year, but in other areas there is still work to do."

zibby43
zibby43

Shrieker

Morteza wrote:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D0eqU4UXcAEwnXn.jpg
Via @AlbertFabrega
Holy sh... ! How many tiers are in there...
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Shakeman

zibby43 wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 20:04
This is interesting.

https://twitter.com/wbuxtonofficial/sta ... 5049022465
I wrote this earlier in the week,
If you have near unlimited resources how would you make sure your car was optimised for high downforce and high speed circuits giving you the best possible chance on all circuits? Build two!

It may not be High Downforce vs High Speed it may be due to working the tyres differently from track to track such as race track vs street circuit.

Two cars would be the logical next step to improve those tracks where Merc have been historically poor while not compromising their performance on tracks they're historically good at.

Last week's car look too developed to be a test mule.
Of course the idea was roundly pooh-poohed so it's nice to see someone in a team is thinking the same way.

dren

Might as well develop a car for every track of the season...
Honda!

Mr.G

Shakeman wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 20:43
zibby43 wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 20:04
This is interesting.

https://twitter.com/wbuxtonofficial/sta ... 5049022465
I wrote this earlier in the week,
If you have near unlimited resources how would you make sure your car was optimised for high downforce and high speed circuits giving you the best possible chance on all circuits? Build two!

It may not be High Downforce vs High Speed it may be due to working the tyres differently from track to track such as race track vs street circuit.

Two cars would be the logical next step to improve those tracks where Merc have been historically poor while not compromising their performance on tracks they're historically good at.

Last week's car look too developed to be a test mule.
Of course the idea was roundly pooh-poohed so it's nice to see someone in a team is thinking the same way.
If this is really true, FIA should stop this as soon as possible, otherwise this will escalate pretty quick and all team that can allow that will start doing that too. So even more money instead of cutting of prices... And small teams will be lost...
Last edited by Mr.G on 28 Feb 2019, 20:50, edited 1 time in total.
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts