2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

BMMR61 wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 02:48
CjC wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 00:03
mwillems wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 23:49

Maybe, I hadn't seen it. I had seen one saying they were already helping the team but quite how I have no idea. If you see that article again then do me a favour and post it please 👍
After re-reading it, it’s a bit of both of our statements.

There’s no need for a U turn but they have brought a little extra to the table like you suggested which could be what Stella alluded to about not getting absolutely everything on the launch car.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/why-m ... /10569003/
Wow, I read this at the time and now with pre-season testing almost here it is particularly exciting. That fans AND pundits have seemingly lowering their excitement levels about the McLaren MCL38 as "revealed" at the launch, perhaps we shouldn't be surprised. They are like junkies looking for the obvious. It seems there is still plenty of evolutionary headroom, and the direction McLaren are on has received the tick of approval by these two "high calibers" we can (nervously?) wait for validation to occur when the grid is set in two weeks.
Yeah that's kind of the idea of being trying to get across in here this past few days. We've been warned a lot of the change won't be easily visible, but it is there. What don't know just what % of projects are late. We don't know how much has been hidden so far, but we know a decent amount has been hidden. Stella's done everything he can to make sure we know the time is coming and the expectation based on all the data is we will close the gap to RB this year and be a reasonably close second at the start.

The team is excited, the drivers are excited, Stella, a guy we can trust, is telling us what we want to hear...

Don't read too much into a marketing launch and enjoy the ride :mrgreen:
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Venturiation
Venturiation

mwillems wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 13:31
BMMR61 wrote:
CjC wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 00:03

After re-reading it, it’s a bit of both of our statements.

There’s no need for a U turn but they have brought a little extra to the table like you suggested which could be what Stella alluded to about not getting absolutely everything on the launch car.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/why-m ... /10569003/
Wow, I read this at the time and now with pre-season testing almost here it is particularly exciting. That fans AND pundits have seemingly lowering their excitement levels about the McLaren MCL38 as "revealed" at the launch, perhaps we shouldn't be surprised. They are like junkies looking for the obvious. It seems there is still plenty of evolutionary headroom, and the direction McLaren are on has received the tick of approval by these two "high calibers" we can (nervously?) wait for validation to occur when the grid is set in two weeks.
Yeah that's kind of the idea of being trying to get across in here this past few days. We've been warned a lot of the change won't be easily visible, but it is there. What don't know just what % of projects are late. We don't know how much has been hidden so far, but we know a decent amount has been hidden. Stella's done everything he can to make sure we know the time is coming and the expectation based on all the data is we will close the gap to RB this year and be a reasonably close second at the start.

The team is excited, the drivers are excited, Stella, a guy we can trust, is telling us what we want to hear...

If with all this they end up 4th...

CjC
CjC

Venturiation wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 13:47
mwillems wrote:
BMMR61 wrote:

Could well be the case as always.
For example we could see an average of 2ths spread over Mclaren, Ferrari and Mercedes again, maybe a win or 2 for each but still has to finish 4th.
Just a fan's point of view

mwillems

Venturiation wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 13:47
mwillems wrote:
BMMR61 wrote:

Ahaha We may well do, as the team have said we don't know what others have done. But we won't work that out from a marketing soft launch is my point!

To be fair Stella never said they'd be second either, I've been a bit too liberal with that, just that our gap relative to RB will be tough to close straight away. Which I read to assume means we will be in the fight for second, but sometimes that mean we finish fourth or sometimes we might snatch a win, as CJC mentions.

But clearly the target is to be challenging for 1st fastest later in the year.
I don't think Stella would say this without a certain level of confidence in what they are doing, but time will tell. But what we can't possibly know right now is just how developed this car is.

-Bandit

Venturiation
Venturiation

Is the user that had inside info from mclaren leave? He was here last year but can't remember his name

Emag
Emag

Venturiation wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 15:46
Is the user that had inside info from mclaren leave? He was here last year but can't remember his name
His name is PhilipM and yes, it's been a while since he last was active in the forums. I believe early 2023 a lot of comments here were filled with negativity (not gonna lie, myself included) and apparently there were quite a few McLaren people that were browsing around in the forums and weren't happy that the information shared here by him was being perceived a certain way, so they just began tightening the lips.

Not sure if that has anything to do with it though.

mwillems

There was some kind of back and forth with some users having a go at him, IIRC.

-Bandit

MTudor
MTudor

I think something happened to PhillipM,because I wrote him in private but he didn't answered.

Tomsky
Tomsky

MTudor wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 17:39
I think something happened to PhillipM,because I wrote him in private but he didn't answered.
I think he stopped reading the Italian and German press, so the insider ended

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

delete
Last edited by AR3-GP on 17 Feb 2024, 01:54, edited 1 time in total.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Tomsky wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 17:56
MTudor wrote:
I'd love to be proved wrong but that was my feeling as well. It never really amounted to any real inside scoop - at least what I could notice.

I doubt anyone in McLaren cares what a bunch of F1 fans write on a technical forums.

the EDGE
the EDGE

FittingMechanics wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 21:56
Tomsky wrote:
MTudor wrote:
I'd love to be proved wrong but that was my feeling as well. It never really amounted to any real inside scoop - at least what I could notice.

I doubt anyone in McLaren cares what a bunch of F1 fans write on a technical forums.
They certainly do care, there's pictures of the forum open on web browsers on the pitwall computers at previous tests.

We'll never know if Phillip's contacts were real, but I absolutely see no reason to doubt him, there definitely seemed to be a lot of truth in what he predicted. Not always correct, but enough to not make me think he was pulling a fast one

Maybe he still reads from time to time, but still chooses not to join in, and I respect & understand that decision. (although things do seem to have quietened down in the McLaren thread recently). Lets not forget, Craig Scarborough used to be a regular contributor once, and I believe still takes an interest I believe. He certainly references the site from time to time
Last edited by the EDGE on 17 Feb 2024, 00:43, edited 1 time in total.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

FittingMechanics wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 21:56
Tomsky wrote:
MTudor wrote:

Unfortunately, I don't know how to find his old posts, but I distinctly remember him saying on here that the team weren't happy with the MCL60, this was quite a bit before the launch where Stella confirmed it. I think he mentioned that the guys he used to speak with were in production, not designers or aero guys or anything like that. So he only knew about stuff when the went down to production. Most of the stuff he said checked out regarding the type of upgrades and when they were expected to get on the car. I found his info quite decent, he didn't sensationalise anything.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Motörhead
Motörhead

Emag wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 15:49
Venturiation wrote:
His name is PhilipM and yes, it's been a while since he last was active in the forums. I believe early 2023 a lot of comments here were filled with negativity (not gonna lie, myself included) and apparently there were quite a few McLaren people that were browsing around in the forums and weren't happy that the information shared here by him was being perceived a certain way, so they just began tightening the lips.

He got rumbled. Was still an employee.
That’s the end of that.

Motörhead
Motörhead

Code: Select all

[list][/list]
Motörhead wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 00:09
Emag wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 15:49
Venturiation wrote:

[/