Renault R30

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Timstr
Timstr

Re: Renault R30

newbie wrote:those 'louvres' are exactly what Ferrari want to introduce with their diffuser upgrade. the MP4-25 also has these
Ah. I knew it was McLaren and Renault who had this diffuser concept that other teams are in the process of copying.

Here's a hight res version of the pic:
http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/3349/d10aus1806.jpg

PlatinumZealot

[quote="manchild"]Flat floor below bodywork rule stands only for area between wheels (wheels, not axles). For that same reason nose has no flat floor below itself.

Can you quote it please? I'm feeling a little lazy.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

manchild
manchild

n smikle wrote:Can you quote it please? I'm feeling a little lazy.
I went to sleep at 3:30 AM, woke up feeling like shyt, still am. I have no idea in which part of technical regs. it is mentioned, but it is the same rule dating since 1983 when curved floor for ground effect was banned

Take a look at any raised nose car and you'll see flat floor beginning just after the front wheels. That's just to meet the regs.

ringo

3.12.5 All parts lying on the reference and step planes, in addition to the transition between the two planes, must produce uniform, solid, hard, continuous, rigid (no degree of freedom in relation to the body/chassis unit), impervious surfaces under all circumstances.

Fully enclosed holes are permitted in the surfaces lying on the reference and step planes provided no part of the car is visible through them when viewed from directly below. This does not apply to any parts of rear view mirrors which are visible, provided each of these areas does not exceed 12000mm² when projected to a horizontal plane above the car, or to any parts of the panels referred to in Article 15.4.7.
For Sure!!

bobohob
bobohob

newbie wrote:those 'louvres' are exactly what Ferrari want to introduce with their diffuser upgrade. the MP4-25 also has these
Which part is the louvre? Sorry if it's a silly question.

dren

bobohob wrote:
Which part is the louvre? Sorry if it's a silly question.
The DD has two holes on each side of the car. The piece of floor inbetween the two holes is the louvre. It allows for a large opening while still showing all black when looking straight at the floor from the bottom of the car.
Honda!

PlatinumZealot

The rules say you are only suppose to see either the floor of the car or the sky when looking from directly below. (orthographic view)

what i understand is that the only way this is possible is:

1. Make sure that there is nothing above the hole.

2. Make the hole on a vertical plane.

Number 1 is difficult. So teams use option 2. (up until now i guess)

The holes on this car however do not seem to lie in a vertical plane...
So the only way this can be legal is if Renault has holes on the roof of the diffuser that match the extra holes in the floor.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

madly
madly

@n_smikle - don't you think FIA did full DD check after last upgrade?

Look at the manchild answer:
manchild wrote:Flat floor below bodywork rule stands only for area between wheels (wheels, not axles). For that same reason nose has no flat floor below itself.

Last edited by madly on 01 Apr 2010, 10:35, edited 1 time in total.

madly
madly

R300 will have new aerodynamic upgrades for Sepang GP.

One of them will be new sidepods.
Inserting article from Enstone factory http://my.renaultf1.com/profiles/blogs/ ... -enstone-1

threep
threep

thestig84 wrote:
forty-two wrote:
threep wrote:It just makes potential sponsors uneasy if they see a car like the Sauber almost blank, doesn't enhance confidence about the future of the team.
What about the BrawnGP car last year? That spent a lot of the season with very little of it's surface area covered, but they seemed able to attract some pretty lucrative sponsors.
I think winning 6 out of the 7 first races may have helped!!!!!!! Sauber need to make the finish line first!

Brawn didn't get any lucrative sponsors. Virgin didn't pay much and the others didn't come close to an operating budget for the team. Most of the money they had was the pot of gold Honda left them after selling the team.

http://www.sports-city.org/news_details ... Category=1

They had enough funding for 2009 without any sponsorship from elsewhere once they'd reduced their cost based by getting rid of 270 staff.

I'm guessing its a similar situation with Sauber, BMW gave them a pot of money to help run the team for a year until they can get some big sponsors, but unless they can perform better then they will struggle to get any big ticket sponsors.

madly
madly

From RF1 site: http://my.renaultf1.com/profiles/blogs/ ... -in-sepang
There’s still some work to be done to get them finished with both cars benefitting from some new aero parts this weekend to add a bit more downforce.
The team also had another reason to smile today as the FIA announced that outboard mirrors located on side pods would be banned from the Chinese Grand Prix onwards. Teams must now locate mirrors in their more conventional location – just as they are on the R30. While other teams will have to work on adapting their cars in time for China, we’ll be able to focus solely on improving performance.

madly
madly

And the R30 aero update is rather giant :D

Both R30s on the track at Sepang! Thursday practice?

zgred

Italiano
Italiano

F1 technology at it's best!
#Forza Michael #Forza Jules

mith

I guess, they're changing shape of air inlet or maybe that small hole beneath is something new? Any pictures for comparison?