2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mendis
mendis

Re: 2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

organic wrote:
25 Nov 2023, 17:26
Lewis has always set up the car for the race more than quali, not just compared to Russell? I thought I remember Bottas and others that have observed Lewis' procedures closely saying similarly: he will compromise his setup more than others in quali

I think where his real strength is in racecraft and tyre management. He tends to run much lower rear downforce than teammates and still keeps the tyres alive even while fighting other drivers
Based on what I have read over the years, he prefers an oversteery car, than a lower downforce car. I always believed he can extract better performance from degrading tyres than some other drivers, rather than saying, he kept his tyres alive. A driver that likes a bit of slip on the rear, would be destroying the tyres more than the one that keeps it from slipping with a bit of understeer.

Luscion
Luscion

Russell thinks its more down to the car

Ant believes something was wrong with Lewis' car (might be geo blocked for some)

organic

I agree with ant. The final sector was like this a lot this weekend for him

CHT
CHT

ThijsMuis wrote:
25 Nov 2023, 16:23
CHT wrote:
24 Nov 2023, 22:38
With Mclaren extending partnership with merc engine till 2030 I have a feeling that Merc may be looking to exit F1 as works team since their automotive segmeent are moving toward EV instead of ICE
AMG will do V8 to 2030

https://uk.motor1.com/news/609707/merce ... fter-2030/
The supercar hypercar segment will move fully electric when newer lightweight battery technology becomes available. Lambo just announced a new fully electric SUV for 2028, and I think days of V8 and V10 will have very little real-world application other than for the super lux segment.

Daimler AG has had a very good run in the past 10 years for their involvement in F1, but going forward it is a little unclear if Daimler will continue to be heavily invested since F1 PU technology will have very little relevance to real-world application.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

CHT wrote:
26 Nov 2023, 01:44
ThijsMuis wrote:
CHT wrote:
24 Nov 2023, 22:38
With Mclaren extending partnership with merc engine till 2030 I have a feeling that Merc may be looking to exit F1 as works team since their automotive segmeent are moving toward EV instead of ICE
AMG will do V8 to 2030

The supercar hypercar segment will move fully electric when newer lightweight battery technology becomes available. Lambo just announced a new fully electric SUV for 2028, and I think days of V8 and V10 will have very little real-world application other than for the super lux segment.

Daimler AG has had a very good run in the past 10 years for their involvement in F1, but going forward it is a little unclear if Daimler will continue to be heavily invested since F1 PU technology will have very little relevance to real-world application.
It has never had a direct relevance. It's a marketing exercise.

CHT
CHT

AR3-GP wrote:
26 Nov 2023, 02:02
CHT wrote:
ThijsMuis wrote:

AMG will do V8 to 2030

The last 10 years have been incredible in terms of branding for Merc due to their dominance in the sports and LH factor. Considering the eventual LH retirement and now Merc no longer has the advantage, the value proposition may no longer be as attractive, or may even be negative.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

CHT wrote:
26 Nov 2023, 02:08
AR3-GP wrote:
CHT wrote:

The last 10 years have been incredible in terms of branding for Merc due to their dominance in the sports and LH factor. Considering the eventual LH retirement and now Merc no longer has the advantage, the value proposition may no longer be as attractive, or may even be negative.
The team makes money. It was reported double digit millions of profit last year.

denyall

Give it up already...

CHT
CHT

AR3-GP wrote:
26 Nov 2023, 02:17
CHT wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

The team makes money. It was reported double digit millions of profit last year.
I don't believe Mercedes-Benz AG is making money directly from F1 or in this for income. I read that AMG HPP F1 invested around 1 billion for the new V6 hybrid engine development program and selling F1 engines can't possibly be profitable.

For Toto and Sir Jim Ratcliffe, profit will be more important since they are opportunistic billionaire investors who have invested their own money and will eventually will be looking at selling the team for profit.

AMG HPP securing a long-term supply contract with McLaren till 2030 will give Merc Benz AG the option to review their long-term F1 branding strategy such as switching to being an engine supplier and riding on their partner's success
What Merc F1 will become is very uncertain, and the next 2 years will be crucial.

Can Toto lead the team out of the doldrum?
Will LH switch teams before retirement?
Can GR fill the void left behind by LH?
Can Merc F1 find another star driver to replace LH?

If Mclaren turns up next year with the quicker car running the same Merc engine, it will be bad for Toto and his team.

mendis
mendis

CHT wrote:
26 Nov 2023, 04:08
AR3-GP wrote:
CHT wrote:

I don't believe Mercedes-Benz AG is making money directly from F1 or in this for income. I read that AMG HPP F1 invested around 1 billion for the new V6 hybrid engine development program and selling F1 engines can't possibly be profitable.

For Toto and Sir Jim Ratcliffe, profit will be more important since they are opportunistic billionaire investors who have invested their own money and will eventually will be looking at selling the team for profit.

AMG HPP securing a long-term supply contract with McLaren till 2030 will give Merc Benz AG the option to review their long-term F1 branding strategy such as switching to being an engine supplier and riding on their partner's success
What Merc F1 will become is very uncertain, and the next 2 years will be crucial.

If Mclaren turns up next year with the quicker car running the same Merc engine, it will be bad for Toto and his team.
How long George is going to wait for a championship capable car from Mercedes? Another 2 or 3 years? If an opportunity opens up at Red Bull, wouldn't he apply for it?

Next year is going to be critical and if they don't get it right, then I don't think they have enough engineering strength to build a championship contender car, not even for 2026 as the aero regulations will still be based on the current ground effects concept.

CHT
CHT

mendis wrote:
26 Nov 2023, 07:16
CHT wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

How long George is going to wait for a championship capable car from Mercedes? Another 2 or 3 years? If an opportunity opens up at Red Bull, wouldn't he apply for it?

Next year is going to be critical and if they don't get it right, then I don't think they have enough engineering strength to build a championship contender car, not even for 2026 as the aero regulations will still be based on the current ground effects concept.
I am sure there are plenty of drivers considering the RB seat as well however driving alongside Max may not necessarily be a good thing for promising driver because at 26, Max still has at least 10 good years ahead of him. Any driver who keeps being beaten by their teammate will be unlikely to become a champion so GR is best to remain at Brackley I think.
Last edited by CHT on 26 Nov 2023, 09:59, edited 1 time in total.

mendis
mendis

CHT wrote:
26 Nov 2023, 09:35
mendis wrote:
CHT wrote:

I am sure there are plenty of drivers considering the RB seat as well however driving alongside Max may not necessarily be a good thing for you promising driver because at 26, Max still has at least 10 good years ahead of him. Any driver who keeps being beaten by their teammate will be unlikely to become a champion so GR is best to remain at Brackley I think.
That's not how the genetics of F1 drivers work. Every driver wants the best car available and would be confident to partner with anyone that is sitting on the other side of the garage. Until a driver has gotten beaten, he would never think he is inferior to the other. Given an option, GR, CL, LN would all jump in to that other RB seat without thinking about being beaten by Max. No talented driver would want to sit tight in a team that doesn't have a winning car, only because he feels confident of not getting beaten in that team.

CHT
CHT

mendis wrote:
26 Nov 2023, 09:57
CHT wrote:
26 Nov 2023, 09:35
mendis wrote:

I am sure there are plenty of drivers considering the RB seat as well however driving alongside Max may not necessarily be a good thing for you promising driver because at 26, Max still has at least 10 good years ahead of him. Any driver who keeps being beaten by their teammate will be unlikely to become a champion so GR is best to remain at Brackley I think.
That's not how the genetics of F1 drivers work. Every driver wants the best car available and would be confident to partner with anyone that is sitting on the other side of the garage. Until a driver has gotten beaten, he would never think he is inferior to the other. Given an option, GR, CL, LN would all jump in to that other RB seat without thinking about being beaten by Max. No talented driver would want to sit tight in a team that doesn't have a winning car, only because he feels confident of not getting beaten in that team.
GR, CL, and LN are all driving for champion pedigree teams that have the resources and potential to design and build winning cars. There is no reason to believe that driving alongside Max to increase their chance of winning a world championship. The future of RBR post-AN may also be a question mark. Drivers like GR, CL and LN, may be better off remaining at Merc, Ferrari and McLaren as the "no 1" drivers till 2026/7 to see where the future lies.

If you look at the driver market now, once Alonso and LH retire, Max will be the only active F1 WDC left, unless driver like Vettel return to F1 ofcourse.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

j_ste wrote:
25 Nov 2023, 16:46
He'll have some fun tomorrow
He'll probably finish ahead of Russell still, P4-P5

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

CHT wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:
CHT wrote:

It's difficult when you look at his season compared to Lewis this year... It might cost Merc P2 in the WCC this afternoon.