2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mendis
mendis

Re: 2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

organic wrote:
26 Nov 2023, 10:55
mendis wrote:
26 Nov 2023, 09:57
CHT wrote:
26 Nov 2023, 09:35

I am sure there are plenty of drivers considering the RB seat as well however driving alongside Max may not necessarily be a good thing for you promising driver because at 26, Max still has at least 10 good years ahead of him. Any driver who keeps being beaten by their teammate will be unlikely to become a champion so GR is best to remain at Brackley I think.
That's not how the genetics of F1 drivers work. Every driver wants the best car available and would be confident to partner with anyone that is sitting on the other side of the garage. Until a driver has gotten beaten, he would never think he is inferior to the other. Given an option, GR, CL, LN would all jump in to that other RB seat without thinking about being beaten by Max. No talented driver would want to sit tight in a team that doesn't have a winning car, only because he feels confident of not getting beaten in that team.
I would normally agree that all drivers would completely back themselves to go up against any other and would always seek the best car, but in recent history the best formula for success seems to be to be good enough at an established team that they then buy into your ability completely, and build the team around you.

There is also a very relevant example that goes counter to your opinion: Lando has already turned down the opportunity to drive for RB multiple times in recent years even when the car was not competitive like last year. He'd rather build the McLaren team than attempt to walk into a team that would entirely support Max if it came down to it. George I would imagine expects that Lewis won't be driving for Merc forever and when that happens he will become their main guy. That's almost a necessary position to be in if you're going to fight for a championship - how many have been won by drivers who were not the 'main' guy of a team recently? Maybe only Rosberg.

Plus these young drivers are not blind to what happened to Albon: they raced with Albon in junior categories and karting and know how good he was, and yet could not do anything in RB - it's not just Max but the entire environment. It hamstringed Albon's career and I would say he was fortunate to get it back on track
I want to reestablish my original debate. This not about Max, his team or his ability. This is about, how long George would wait in Mercedes if they don't build a winning car for another 2 or 3 years? Using Red Bull was an illustration. If Red Bull continues to build winning cars and there is an opportunity opens at Red Bull in 2026 or 2027, would George let it go thinking he is inferior to Max? Or if it's McLaren or Aston Martin that has winning car, would he let go for one or the other reason and keep waiting for Mercedes to click?

chrisc90

I think it depends how much confidence you have in the team your driving for and how you think its going to take before you either get a race winning car or a good shot at a WDC, Max was at RB a long time before their car become a good contender for race wins often. It took nearly a whole era of regulations to get to where the RB was in 2021 and earlier.

CHT
CHT

Spoutnik wrote:
26 Nov 2023, 11:38
CHT wrote:
26 Nov 2023, 04:08
AR3-GP wrote:
26 Nov 2023, 02:17

The team makes money. It was reported double digit millions of profit last year.
I don't believe Mercedes-Benz AG is making money directly from F1 or in this for income. I read that AMG HPP F1 invested around 1 billion for the new V6 hybrid engine development program and selling F1 engines can't possibly be profitable.

For Toto and Sir Jim Ratcliffe, profit will be more important since they are opportunistic billionaire investors who have invested their own money and will eventually will be looking at selling the team for profit.

AMG HPP securing a long-term supply contract with McLaren till 2030 will give Merc Benz AG the option to review their long-term F1 branding strategy such as switching to being an engine supplier and riding on their partner's success
What Merc F1 will become is very uncertain, and the next 2 years will be crucial.

Can Toto lead the team out of the doldrum?
Will LH switch teams before retirement?
Can GR fill the void left behind by LH?
Can Merc F1 find another star driver to replace LH?

If Mclaren turns up next year with the quicker car running the same Merc engine, it will be bad for Toto and his team.
It's difficult when you look at his season compared to Lewis this year... It might cost Merc P2 in the WCC this afternoon.
GR greatest challenge may be Toto as he is determined to help LH win at all costs. Remember the team order by Toto recently? Was it at Suzuka?

atanatizante

HAM used 2 cool down laps in FP3 when he did his qualy sim laps which were set in hotter conditions than in qualy ... but then in the qualy due to cooler conditions he needn`t do that which led to setting slower S3 times compared to RUS every qualy session ... this was down to overheating tyres in the last sector or didn`t have properly warm up the fronts?

Now based on the above predictions and tyre available do you think he could do a H-M one-stop race here?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

chrisc90

I think a H-M would be a good shout - and hope you can net yourself a safety car within the window for the mediums.

It all depends how much Merc want that P2. Whether they play is safe with following the most common strategy, or throw Lewis out on a limb and go for the alternate strategy of a 1 stop.

I think Charles will manage to net the 4 points needed between Russel himself. I do think the McLarens will keep Russel at bay.

DGP123
DGP123

CHT wrote:
26 Nov 2023, 12:54
GR greatest challenge may be Toto as he is determined to help LH win at all costs. Remember the team order by Toto recently? Was it at Suzuka?
Absolute nonsense. I’m guessing it was Toto’s fault for binning it in Canada, or binning it Singapore, or the multiple collisions Russell gets involved in?

GR’s biggest challenge is his own limitations. He was labelled the heir, but he just hasn’t been good enough, and, more importantly, isn’t quick enough on a Sunday.

Anyway, let’s hope they can secure this 2nd spot in the constructors. 🤞

chrisc90

DGP123 wrote:
26 Nov 2023, 14:10
CHT wrote:
Absolute nonsense. I’m guessing it was Toto’s fault for binning it in Canada, or binning it Singapore, or the multiple collisions Russell gets involved in?

GR’s biggest challenge is his own limitations. He was labelled the heir, but he just hasn’t been good enough, and, more importantly, isn’t quick enough on a Sunday.

Well Canada was brake trouble, so he didnt 'bin it' there. So I think thats a bit unfair to label him at Canada.

Both drivers have had their up's and downs really.

search

Mercedes looked good to me so far this weekend, especially Russell. He didn't get the softs in the window in Qualifying, but normally it's less of an issue in the race. P2 should be on the cards today, in the race, and easily in the championships

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

chrisc90 wrote:
26 Nov 2023, 14:15
DGP123 wrote:
CHT wrote:

Well Canada was brake trouble, so he didnt 'bin it' there. So I think thats a bit unfair to label him at Canada.

He bined it before the brake problem
Overall he was never on pace against Lewis on Sunday. I think today Lewis will finish ahead of him despite starting 11th

Russell is 72pts behind Lewis... in the midfield it's a colossal deficit
The real challenge for Toto will be : when Lewis retire/go to another team, did he try to bring a better driver than George or a number 2

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

I think you’re all a bit unkind to GR. He’s obviously going to try a little harder. Singapore was a real high profile mistake. The merc has been a real handful at times. Yes he’s got lots to learn but his innate speed is there. Race craft and tyre knowledge will come

atanatizante

chrisc90 wrote:
I think a H-M would be a good shout - and hope you can net yourself a safety car within the window for the mediums.

It all depends how much Merc want that P2. Whether they play is safe with following the most common strategy, or throw Lewis out on a limb and go for the alternate strategy of a 1 stop.

I think Charles will manage to net the 4 points needed between Russel himself. I do think the McLarens will keep Russel at bay.
Don't you think that both Macca drivers will have better race pace than LEC, especially considering the track temp, race layout and last 4 races (except Vegas which was an outlier). Personally I`m looking forward for a VER vs. NOR race and maybe a for the latter bearing in mind the RB19 setup issues here and the compromise they did setting the car more towards the qualy presumably...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

les arcs
les arcs

chrisc90 wrote:
26 Nov 2023, 14:15
DGP123 wrote:
CHT wrote:

No he binned it in Canada all by himself, and later retired due to brake problems from the crash damage.

j_ste
j_ste

Thank the lord Its over...now the real work begins/continues

Elite
Elite

Right it’s finally done. Full focus on 2024 now. What do you guys think this W15 will be like? Glad Allison will be doing it.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Thank you Lewis for this P2 in the WCC despite absolutely no pace today for him