2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
PhillipM
PhillipM

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

She didn't hear it from the mclaren engineers that's for certain, they've been doing aero, checks and correlation work, nothing on balance at all today.

Godius

The car looks like a real handful in Sainz his hot lap. But it could also have something to do with Sainz his driving style. He always drives on the edge relying too much on his reflexes. If done right it can get him nice qualifying results but a mistake is easily made, ultimately it is not that suitable for in race conditions.

RonDennis
RonDennis

Godius wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 02:05
The car looks like a real handful in Sainz his hot lap. But it could also have something to do with Sainz his driving style. He always drives on the edge relying too much on his reflexes. If done right it can get him nice qualifying results but a mistake is easily made, ultimately it is not that suitable for in race conditions.
It wasn't his hot lap. Just a long run.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

makecry wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 01:45
PhillipM wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 01:10
So basically, word from someone stood at one corner, on day one of testing, and went - that car is twitchy there, back of the grid! :D
It's too early to say yes but it looks like she "heard" it from the engineers. FWIW, Alberta Fabrega has been saying the car is sluggish but I have a inkling feeling he is purposely not giving McLaren much attention because of his public spat with Zak Brown last year.
Fabrega had a public spat with Zak, over what? Wasn't aware of that.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

PhillipM wrote:
So basically, word from someone stood at one corner, on day one of testing, and went - that car is twitchy there, back of the grid! :D
Maybe it was Gary Anderson :D
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

PhillipM
PhillipM

If it was we may as well give Mclaren the trophy now ;)

makecry
makecry

Ground Effect wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 07:26
makecry wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 01:45
PhillipM wrote:
It's too early to say yes but it looks like she "heard" it from the engineers. FWIW, Alberta Fabrega has been saying the car is sluggish but I have a inkling feeling he is purposely not giving McLaren much attention because of his public spat with Zak Brown last year.
Fabrega had a public spat with Zak, over what? Wasn't aware of that.
IIRC Fabrega tweeted something like what are the guys at Mclaren doing, why cant they give Alonso a good car or something like that and Zak Brown didnt like it.

E8404424
E8404424

It's day one, don't know about anyone else but this is pretty much what I hoped for, some solid runs. Sainz said they are aware of the balance issues and no one should start getting worried about that as there were bound to be some. This is a new direction in the MCL 34 and it will need some serious fine tuning, as a McLaren fan I am pretty happy with today .. The car ran well, they have identified the direction they need to go to get more pace and there are seven days left.

Pretty positive.

_cerber1

I suppose that the time on the composition of C2, was set as a guide, in order to compare it with the time on C2 on the 8th day of the tests and determine the progress.

M840TR
M840TR

_cerber1 wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 07:49
I suppose that the time on the composition of C2, was set as a guide, in order to compare it with the time on C2 on the 8th day of the tests and determine the progress.
They ran C2 because it's a durable compound and they could do longer stints without having significant drop-offs in performance so that the aero tests go uninterrupted.

Chicane
Chicane

Every miniscule setting has a significant influence on the way the car responds to driver inputs. Mclaren would have tons of data from running nearly 120 laps. Lando has driven the earlier car in tests and free practice sessions. More importantly he has driven the MCL33 at Barcelona. I think today the team will build on the basic understanding of the car from yesterday. Consistency will be the name of the game today.

The car has a different suspension geometry, a different rake concept and a different aero philosophy. They will systematically try to hone in on the handling balance and i am confident by the end of the first preseason test they would have a good base setup.
Quickshifter

NiyolHuayra
NiyolHuayra

Let's hope for even more laps today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV9TMBlAdm0 - live timing and lap count

Thunder

AMuS Live Ticker reports James Key will start at McLaren on March 25th.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

bauc

Thunder wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 11:50
Well that is great news! =D>
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

bauc wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 11:57
Thunder wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 11:50
Well that is great news! =D>

Really good news. Sky are reporting that some are claiming McLaren aren't as happy with the car as they would have expected.