2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Norris' 1:40 ish laps were comparable to the start of last years grand prix where cars ran similar times.

I look forward to seeing the complete set of laps and times from this morning to get an idea of the pace of the car. About the only thing we can tell is the minimum of how much faster we can be compared to the race average last year.

What would be interesting is the average difference between last years Testing Race simulations and the average race pace to see if that ratio can be applied to this years numbers, particularly when running tyres less than 5 laps old.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 12:32
Norris' 1:40 ish laps were comparable to the start of last years grand prix where cars ran similar times.

I look forward to seeing the complete set of laps and times from this morning to get an idea of the pace of the car. About the only thing we can tell is the minimum of how much faster we can be compared to the race average last year.

What would be interesting is the average difference between last years Testing Race simulations and the average race pace to see if that ratio can be applied to this years numbers, particularly when running tyres less than 5 laps old.
I would wait for Piastri’s racing simulations… The track is fairly hot, therefore times from Norris may not be representative, if we want to compare to the race pace of last year’s GP, we may get a better understanding later today.

Lucky
Lucky

SmallSoldier wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 12:37
mwillems wrote:

I would wait for Piastri’s racing simulations… The track is fairly hot, therefore times from Norris may not be representative, if we want to compare to the race pace of last year’s GP, we may get a better understanding later today.
for comparison, RB :(

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Lucky wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 12:44
SmallSoldier wrote:
mwillems wrote:

That’s why we have to take them with a grain of salt… At that point and with the same tires, lap times were the same as Sainz (although with what appeared as higher degradation towards the end of the stint)… Hard to make comparisons unluckily

mclaren111

F1.com:
13:35
Forty minutes to go, and what have we learned so far today? Red Bull's reliability still looks very, very solid, in contrast to McLaren who seem to be finding a few more teething issues. AlphaTauri are still gathering data and piling on the laps, so they too seem more interested in quantity rather than fine-tuning the quality so far.

What is this about ?

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 12:47
Lucky wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

That’s why we have to take them with a grain of salt… At that point and with the same tires, lap times were the same as Sainz (although with what appeared as higher degradation towards the end of the stint)… Hard to make comparisons unluckily
This is why I'm wondering if that Testing to Race pace ratio from last year might remove some of the noise, of course we may have a different approach to how much we want to push the car this year vs last, but it would make interesting reading none the less and I think that the difference between this and last years approach may not be that great.

But as I think about it, if it were that simple I'm sure the teams would mix it up to hide their pace :D
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mclaren111 wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 12:55
F1.com:
Forty minutes to go, and what have we learned so far today? Red Bull's reliability still looks very, very solid, in contrast to McLaren who seem to be finding a few more teething issues. AlphaTauri are still gathering data and piling on the laps, so they too seem more interested in quantity rather than fine-tuning the quality so far.

What is this about ?
No idea… Norris is on track with more than 60 laps already run this morning

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

mclaren111 wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 12:55
F1.com:

What is this about ?
Running out of things to say. Love to stir the pot slightly. Can’t see the team be in the slightest bothered about yesterday as they’ve run 60+ laps already today. Just head down and collect data

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

It gets better... From The Race testing live blog

McLaren in trouble?

I’ve sought refuge from the sun (the press conferences are coming up soon, that’s my excuse).

I’d caution my observations even more than last night’s because I was there for a little less time, but I continue to be concerned by the McLaren.

It just looks really difficult there. If Norris was running a very high fuel load it would mitigate it to a degree but even so, the MCL60 does not look like the leader of the midfield pack by a long shot - I’d put the Aston Martin in front there.
Last edited by Ground Effect on 24 Feb 2023, 13:40, edited 1 time in total.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

haza
haza

Lucky wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
mwillems wrote:

Same times as Norris yesterday on the hards low 1:37s

Emag
Emag

Ground Effect wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 13:39

McLaren in trouble?

I’ve sought refuge from the sun (the press conferences are coming up soon, that’s my excuse).

I’d caution my observations even more than last night’s because I was there for a little less time, but I continue to be concerned by the McLaren.

It just looks really difficult there. If Norris was running a very high fuel load it would mitigate it to a degree but even so, the MCL60 does not look like the leader of the midfield pack by a long shot - I’d put the Aston Martin in front there.
Is that from Gary Anderson, or from Edd Straw?

Not like it makes a difference, but I want to measure by how much I should ignore their comments.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Last year car had major brake issues. Comparing those times to this year will heavily skew the numbers in favor of a major upgrade this year.

Not sure what are they going on about McLaren finding few more teething issues. Lando ran plenty of laps.

Yeah nothing new from the pundits. McLaren 9th best!

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Emag wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 13:53
Ground Effect wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 13:39

McLaren in trouble?

Is that from Gary Anderson, or from Edd Straw?

Not like it makes a difference, but I want to measure by how much I should ignore their comments.
Scott Mitchell-Malm.... like I said yesterday, these guys just go by "vibes and feelings", just vague reasoning, quite shocking really. They could end up being right, things may not be well at McLaren, but it's so obvious these guys are just guessing and hedging bets, all based on Stella's misconstrued comments at the launch.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

DGP123
DGP123

The general feeling, is that this is going to be a tough year for McLaren

Ben1980
Ben1980

DGP123 wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 14:01
The general feeling, is that this is going to be a tough year for McLaren
It may well be. But the its not really based on anything.

It's the team who more often than not was quickest 4th team, especially in Qualifying. What is there to indicate its all suddenly gone so badly wrong. Especially as cars aren't dramatically changing.