Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
radosav
radosav

Re: Ferrari F2012

maybe one of those 'interesting solutions' at Spa , that Fry mentioned , will be banned gurney flap on RW from 2011. :lol:

Pierce89

beelsebob wrote:
fynrd1 wrote:Is it allowed by the rules to bypass the hydraulicsystem for the DRS? By adding an extra actuator? I think i got an excellent and very controversial idea..
No, the aero parts may only be moved by the FIA provided actuator and that may only be controlled by the FIA provided McLaren ECU.
Are you sure the actuator is a spec piece. It wasn't last year, as I remember Ferrari switched between electrical acuation and a Moog hydro piece.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

F1.Ru

superdread wrote: What would be truly great are materials that have exotic thermal expansion behaviour (e.g. helix-fibers in a viscous resin => very high thermal expansion of the fibers (I don't know if such technologies exist but am pretty sure they could)). While heating (exhaust or cooling water) they could expand the diffuser, or make the floor bow down in certain areas (when coupled with a layer of non-expanding CFCs) and break bodywork rules only when the car is running hot (i.e. whenever a FIA official can't measure the car).

That would be highly experimental though, and banned within seconds.
if you can use such material then i thought it would be great but alas FIA mandate some material and govern which types of material you can use for your car and also sometimes limit the use of some material at different area of the car. Such as use of Titanium is restricted in some area of the car caz they can give u extra strength without putting a lot of weight, which in turns help weight distribution of the car.

So no use of such exotic thermal expansion material are permitted by the FIA...... :(
Formula One is a game.............. but not any ordinary game for me

superdread
superdread

F1.Ru wrote: if you can use such material then i thought it would be great but alas FIA mandate some material and govern which types of material you can use for your car and also sometimes limit the use of some material at different area of the car. Such as use of Titanium is restricted in some area of the car caz they can give u extra strength without putting a lot of weight, which in turns help weight distribution of the car.

So no use of such exotic thermal expansion material are permitted by the FIA...... :(
Yes they do, but this is the FIA, a worldwide authority in using foresight to make simple and loophole-free rules. They just regulate the ingredients of a material and not its structure, so some sort of micro-structured material would not be regulated (they couldn't enforce such a ban effectively).

Micro-structured materials are still in basic research state and F1 is too cost-efficient and wimpy to promote such novel technology.

PhillipM
PhillipM

superdread wrote: What would be truly great are materials that have exotic thermal expansion behaviour (e.g. helix-fibers in a viscous resin => very high thermal expansion of the fibers (I don't know if such technologies exist but am pretty sure they could)). While heating (exhaust or cooling water) they could expand the diffuser, or make the floor bow down in certain areas (when coupled with a layer of non-expanding CFCs) and break bodywork rules only when the car is running hot (i.e. whenever a FIA official can't measure the car).

I always thought something similar would be ideal to make your intake restrictor out of for Le Mans and WRC....

superdread
superdread

PhillipM wrote:

I always thought something similar would be ideal to make your intake restrictor out of for Le Mans and WRC....
I think they are supplied by the ACO/FIA.

Hail22

Spotted this on Formulatechandart

To me the nose vane update for Hungary could be a pre cursor for a slightly larger upgrade for SPA?

Comparing to Massa' Setup:

I spotted this as well...

Tested in Mugello but never raced....interesting...notice on the beam wing a similar air vent/scoop to what Lotus has been Testing?

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

superdread
superdread

Hail22 wrote:Spotted this on Formulatechandart

To me the nose vane update for Hungary could be a pre cursor for a slightly larger upgrade for SPA?

Tested in Mugello but never raced....interesting...notice on the beam wing a similar air vent/scoop to what Lotus has been Testing?
The text accompanying the vanes does convey, that Massa's is the new one, and the small vanes of Alonso look rather manky.

That middle section has nothing to do with what Lotus is using, the thing beneath it is the rear crash structure not a duct.

Hail22

superdread wrote:
Hail22 wrote:Spotted this on Formulatechandart

The text accompanying the vanes does convey, that Massa's is the new one, and the small vanes of Alonso look rather manky.

That middle section has nothing to do with what Lotus is using, the thing beneath it is the rear crash structure not a duct.
I'm referring to the upper semi oval above the crash structure, you can clearly size a tiny gap...What I'm trying to say is that small slit/cut could be an aiding tool to break up the rear drag?
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

beelsebob
beelsebob

Pierce89 wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
fynrd1 wrote:Is it allowed by the rules to bypass the hydraulicsystem for the DRS? By adding an extra actuator? I think i got an excellent and very controversial idea..
No, the aero parts may only be moved by the FIA provided actuator and that may only be controlled by the FIA provided McLaren ECU.
Are you sure the actuator is a spec piece. It wasn't last year, as I remember Ferrari switched between electrical acuation and a Moog hydro piece.
Ah no, you're right – it's not a spec part, no idea why I thought it was.

superdread
superdread

Hail22 wrote:I'm referring to the upper semi oval above the crash structure, you can clearly size a tiny gap...What I'm trying to say is that small slit/cut could be an aiding tool to break up the rear drag?
What is "breaking up drag"?
Anyway, it looks rather like a replacement for the 15cm wing, in that it uses the 15cm rule to have the middle section of the beam wing produce a little bit more downforce.

Chuckjr

What is the purpose of the different "v" shaped cut outs (sometimes one of them, sometimes two of them, why not three?) on the top edge of the rear wing?

Secondly, do they correspond or have anything to do with what's going on with the front wing? Are there patterns between the two?
Watching F1 since 1986.

bhall
bhall

Chuckjr wrote:What is the purpose of the different "v" shaped cut outs (sometimes one of them, sometimes two of them, why not three?) on the top edge of the rear wing?

Secondly, do they correspond or have anything to do with what's going on with the front wing? Are there patterns between the two?
As luck would have it, I just recently learned about this.

The cutouts on the rear-wing flap reduce induced drag. They do so by "splitting" the upwash from (EDIT: from, as in, produced by) the wing so that its interaction with oncoming flow is minimized, which cuts drag.

Visualize two "gaps" in the air flowing through the Trefftz Plane above, which is a constant theoretical area behind the car and perpendicular to the its wake everywhere there is wake. Like a "stalking wall," it's a representation of the air the car just passed through. The cutouts reduce the amount of wake that has to "break through" this wall.

And although the front wing has an aerodynamic effect on literally every part of the car downstream from it, I don't necessarily think the new front wing and the V-shaped cutouts are significantly linked here.
Last edited by bhall on 14 Aug 2012, 07:30, edited 1 time in total.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

bhallg2k wrote:They do so by "splitting" the upwash from the wing so that its interaction with oncoming flow is minimized....
How do you physically 'split' the upwash from the wing?

Brian

F1.Ru

hardingfv32 wrote:
bhallg2k wrote:They do so by "splitting" the upwash from the wing so that its interaction with oncoming flow is minimized....
How do you physically 'split' the upwash from the wing?

Brian
What i thought that bhallg2k literally means is that the cutout reduces the pressure in that zone and thus counteract with the vortex generated by the trailing edge of the RW and thus split upwash into two different flow 1. high pressured and energized and 2. one is relatively less pressurized and week. by doing so u can reduce the drag induce by trailing edgeof RW and boost ur top speed. but those cutout is also served other purposed like directing and sucking airflow out of certain velocity at different parts of RW.............. hope i made myself clear enough...
Formula One is a game.............. but not any ordinary game for me