2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

bauc wrote:
11 Jun 2024, 09:58
NiyolHuayra wrote:
11 Jun 2024, 09:20
Are there any updates for Spain/Austria planned/known?
If memory serves me well, next batch of upgrades will come at Silverstone.
Are you sure this came from the team and hasn't just grown legs by the number of times it was suggested?

I'd be keen to get a source if there is one, all I can see is that Ferrari are bringing a second package to Silverstone but if Ferrari are bringing a package to Silverstone then I'd expect Mclaren to be bringing something plus or minus a couple of races.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

Stella on cue again. The big packages are dispensed with and now we bring the parts as they become available.

Full quote from the linked article:

McLaren: More small updates instead of one big one
Let's come back to McLaren. Andrea Stella revealed that his team will not make such a big leap in performance again as was seen around a year ago, for example.

Back then, McLaren brought a large update package to the races in the summer. That will not be the case this year. "We will bring some upgrades for the upcoming races," the team boss announced.

"But it will not be a single big upgrade like we have seen in the past twelve months," he also clarified, stressing: "It will be more about a few individual components."

These should logically also bring "some performance". But the new parts will be introduced bit by bit - and not all at once.

-Bandit

Emag
Emag

Understandable. It's getting hard squeezing more laptime now.

CjC
CjC

mwillems wrote:
11 Jun 2024, 13:12
Stella on cue again. The big packages are dispensed with and now we bring the parts as they become available.

Let's come back to McLaren. Andrea Stella revealed that his team will not make such a big leap in performance again as was seen around a year ago, for example.

Back then, McLaren brought a large update package to the races in the summer. That will not be the case this year. "We will bring some upgrades for the upcoming races," the team boss announced.

"But it will not be a single big upgrade like we have seen in the past twelve months," he also clarified, stressing: "It will be more about a few individual components."

These should logically also bring "some performance". But the new parts will be introduced bit by bit - and not all at once.
Grand! Least we have heard SOMETHING!

Yea I agree with Emag, Mclaren have overhauled their car twice within 12 months- to expect that a third time would be too far fetched.

You have to imagine Red Bull, McLaren, Ferrari and probably not too soon Mercedes will be reaching their performance ceiling.
I just hope Stella is right when he said earlier in the year that he still sees a good development curve to the end of the year for McLaren or perhaps the unexpected performance increase with the Miami update has flattened the line for them?
Just a fan's point of view

mclaren111

mwillems wrote:
11 Jun 2024, 13:12

Exciting Days Ahead... :D :D

Darth-Piekus

Exciting days ahead indeed cause we havent yet found out why the updates are bringing even more time than the simulators.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

With Andrea stating updates will arrive in smaller individual components, it's possible they'll bring something to Barcelona, hopefully.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

mwillems

Brave words before the Red Bull upgrade

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

When did he say that though? And no mention of Mercedes. I’d imagine it was in the build up to Canada rather than post Canada.
You can bet your boots there has been a in-depth de-brief and analysis of the pace Mercedes showed in Canada at all off the teams bases over the last few days.
Just a fan's point of view

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:
11 Jun 2024, 20:39
I thought Red Bull was bringing updates, just not a major one at any single race? There was talk of their updates earlier and it didn't seem to help them that much.

When is their "major" update coming?

organic

FittingMechanics wrote:
12 Jun 2024, 08:13
mwillems wrote:
I thought Red Bull was bringing updates, just not a major one at any single race? There was talk of their updates earlier and it didn't seem to help them that much.

Apparently Barcelona

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

organic wrote:
12 Jun 2024, 08:15
FittingMechanics wrote:
mwillems wrote:

Apparently Barcelona
I guess we will see. I think there was talk their big upgrade is in Imola and then they had just the floor (which is probably a big update but not McLaren spec B update).

organic

FittingMechanics wrote:
12 Jun 2024, 08:17
organic wrote:
FittingMechanics wrote:

Apparently Barcelona
I guess we will see. I think there was talk their big upgrade is in Imola and then they had just the floor (which is probably a big update but not McLaren spec B update).
Rb haven't upgraded their fences, tunnel, or diffuser geometries nor the engine cover or sidepod undercut/inlet so there is some scope for Barcelona to deliver good gains.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

organic wrote:
12 Jun 2024, 08:31
FittingMechanics wrote:
organic wrote:

Apparently Barcelona
Rb haven't upgraded their fences, tunnel, or diffuser geometries nor the engine cover or sidepod undercut/inlet so there is some scope for Barcelona to deliver good gains.
Yes, I am aware. My point was that they seem to be continuously upgrading the car with a part here and there, not one big upgrade. Seems that McLaren will do that as well in the remaining of the year.

organic

FittingMechanics wrote:
12 Jun 2024, 08:40
organic wrote:
12 Jun 2024, 08:31
FittingMechanics wrote:

Yes, I am aware. My point was that they seem to be continuously upgrading the car with a part here and there, not one big upgrade. Seems that McLaren will do that as well in the remaining of the year.
Yup. If there's no big upgrade at Barcelona for RB then they're most likely just doing the same as McLaren. It seems because it's so close between everyone, it has really become worth it to bolt on components when they are ready