2023 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, Sep 15 -17

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
organic

Re: 2023 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, Sep 15 -17

Juzh wrote:
15 Sep 2023, 10:07
TFSA wrote:
14 Sep 2023, 19:15

Well, you are both very optimistic, me not so much. You need to be at less than 2 tenths going into start finish straight to attempt any kind of overtake into T1, and those last 2 corners that remain will still make sure to space out the cars to this distance or more. I agree it will be without a doubt better than before but overall impact will not be significant. If we had DRS there then this would become entirely different track as you could actually pass someone who's not a second or more slower.

We even got a reason why there's no DRS there. Supposedly it's because of the very slight kink in the middle of straight making it unsafe #-o . Spineless FIA showing itself again and again. It looks like they forgot there's a kink on main DRS zone already on this track (and at higher speed), and also forgot about DRS in zandvoort. In worst case they could place DRS zone after the kink as proposed by Bottas, still better than nothing. Personally I think FIA is just lazy about implementing it on a tight street track, zero flexibility on their part.
From autosport
Some drivers were asking questions on why a 4th DRS zone is not applied to the newly modified straight in the Marina Bay Street Circuit

FIA stated they received no clear consensus on this matter from teams after contacting them several weeks ago asking for feedbacks

organic

Teams were not required to declare on the FIA document the changes made to their car bodies (wings and bottom mainly) to meet the new requirements of the updated TD018 and TD039.

Juzh

organic wrote:
15 Sep 2023, 10:20
Juzh wrote:
TFSA wrote:

Well, you are both very optimistic, me not so much. You need to be at less than 2 tenths going into start finish straight to attempt any kind of overtake into T1, and those last 2 corners that remain will still make sure to space out the cars to this distance or more. I agree it will be without a doubt better than before but overall impact will not be significant. If we had DRS there then this would become entirely different track as you could actually pass someone who's not a second or more slower.

We even got a reason why there's no DRS there. Supposedly it's because of the very slight kink in the middle of straight making it unsafe #-o . Spineless FIA showing itself again and again. It looks like they forgot there's a kink on main DRS zone already on this track (and at higher speed), and also forgot about DRS in zandvoort. In worst case they could place DRS zone after the kink as proposed by Bottas, still better than nothing. Personally I think FIA is just lazy about implementing it on a tight street track, zero flexibility on their part.
From autosport
Some drivers were asking questions on why a 4th DRS zone is not applied to the newly modified straight in the Marina Bay Street Circuit

FIA stated they received no clear consensus on this matter from teams after contacting them several weeks ago asking for feedbacks
Teams just look at what's good for them, so they shouldn't be even asked for the opinion. It's inevitable no consensus will be reached. Safety aspect is bogus given the already existing DRS section with the kink taken at much higher speeds than what this one would be. As I said, laziness and indecisiveness on FIA's part, they just used teams as an excuse.

organic wrote:
15 Sep 2023, 10:25
Teams were not required to declare on the FIA document the changes made to their car bodies (wings and bottom mainly) to meet the new requirements of the updated TD018 and TD039.
In one of your posts you suggested updated TD39 was in force from some weeks ago, or was this misunderstood?

basti313
basti313

organic wrote:
15 Sep 2023, 10:20
Juzh wrote:
TFSA wrote:

From autosport

Well...there is still a question about the "why?".
In the last years Singapore was always tire limited, not DRS limited. As mentioned by some posters, the float section, especially the left and right handers going under the float grandstand are just killing the tire as it is cold, moist and slippery there. So one of the worst things is fixed by removing this section.
I do not see any reason at the moment, why one should artificially create overtakes by just filling the track with DRS zones.
Don`t russel the hamster!

search

Leclerc's best sector times put him half a second ahead of everyone else.

marcel171281
marcel171281

search wrote:
15 Sep 2023, 12:36
And it still didn't give him any points.

bluechris

Lol see the discussion in the right :)

search

marcel171281 wrote:
15 Sep 2023, 13:02
search wrote:
no, but it's superiority normally only seen from Verstappen, especially in FP1. So it's of course interesting. Red Bull's longrun pace was slow as well.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

search wrote:
15 Sep 2023, 13:31
marcel171281 wrote:
search wrote:
no, but it's superiority normally only seen from Verstappen, especially in FP1. So it's of course interesting. Red Bull's longrun pace was slow as well.
They have been turning their engines down to a Gp2 level in FP1 since Zandvoort.

basti313
basti313

search wrote:
15 Sep 2023, 13:31
marcel171281 wrote:
search wrote:
Well...this is just the driver. When in Monaco Sainz was far in front of everyone, no one gave a $hit as it was clear that he will not win anything. Now with Lec, it is of course very likely that he wins... :roll:
Don`t russel the hamster!

search

I have no idea what you're talking about, tbh. I would have made the same post if it was Sargeant in 1st.

Sevach
Sevach

Somebody forgot to tell Ferrari that this is max downforce track lol.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Verstappen is steering to the opposite direction in the middle of the corners. Is that a new technique? :lol:

kediown

AR3-GP wrote:
15 Sep 2023, 15:33
Verstappen is steering to the opposite direction in the middle of the corners. Is that a new technique? :lol:
You need to turn left to turn right technique :lol:

vorticism

Everyone running vortex shedding endplates this weekend. What FIA do?
AR3-GP wrote:
15 Sep 2023, 15:33
Netherlandian flick.
𓄀