2011 Endurance news

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
sticky667
sticky667

Re: Le Mans 2011 regulations

Does anyone think it's possible we could see the RB X1 car in LMS soon?

It's very close to the current generation LMP1 cars minus the fan at the rear.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

I like the look of it, once painted and liveried up, also a few sponsors added it will look massivly better.

I do not know he LMS regs well enough for this idea, but the R18 clearly looks as if its ready (if its even allowed) for fluidic aerodynamics that we saw in F1 this year. The way the Goose Neck connector is shaped and the Shark Fin is shaped, but the thing is how to make it work in a ALMS car.

Also on a F1 side note, thats the size of wheels and the tyres that are seemingly to be used in F1 from 2013 when seemingly more tyre manufacturers will also be involved.

creedbratton
creedbratton

Looks like there is alot of development left in the design, can't wait to see what it look likes come Le Mans.

Whats the rule regarding the wing supports being attached to the gear box?

Trippy exhaust they're using, can't see it lasting long.

timbo
timbo

I like it.
Looks somewhat like streamliners from the Golder Era.

djos

The new Audi is FUGLY!!! the shark fin completely ruins what would otherwise be a good looking car! #-o
"In downforce we trust"

Holm86

I like i too .....

At first i thought it had an f-duct :D but the fin seems to thin :)

creedbratton
creedbratton

Mulsannes corner picked up on some good details in the photo's: http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newsnov10.html

I'm amazed by what was written about the top speeds, I know that is not Le Mans configuration, but surely even on the LMS tracks a top speed of 165mph is really slow.

wesley123
wesley123

Indeed, and its balance is weird either, 53% on the front wheels, that isnt quite an regular distribution.

Overall I rather think this car is built for the ALMS, where top speed is much less important and front turn in(thus front balance) is.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

fenix4life
fenix4life

Holm86 wrote:I like i too .....

At first i thought it had an f-duct :D but the fin seems to thin :)
I wouldn't just say it hasn't an f-duct
when looking at the 3/4 image and this from the back we can see that the fin isn't that small. You can also see some kind of channel coming from below and turning in the fin.

wesley123
wesley123

It doesnt got an f duct, the fin has an regulated thickness and i believe the wings need to have an 'Clean, continuous, unbroken surface' so that makes an f-duct impossible

creedbratton
creedbratton

wesley123 wrote:Indeed, and its balance is weird either, 53% on the front wheels, that isnt quite an regular distribution.

Overall I rather think this car is built for the ALMS, where top speed is much less important and front turn in(thus front balance) is.
Given the height of the rear body work, if the bias is wrong rear down force looks like it can easily be added. I imagine that the will use a 2-3cm gurney flap on the rear body work.

wesley123
wesley123

creedbratton wrote:
wesley123 wrote:Indeed, and its balance is weird either, 53% on the front wheels, that isnt quite an regular distribution.

Given the height of the rear body work, if the bias is wrong rear down force looks like it can easily be added. I imagine that the will use a 2-3cm gurney flap on the rear body work.
Sure, but with the huge amount of d/f it seems to be generating such an gurney doesnt chasnge the balance from 53-47 to 47-53. Gurneys are only used to max the downforce and balance the whole package out perfectly.

I am just so sure that this car isnt going to be an Le Mans winner, certainly not given the much lower drag peugeot who got way better traction.

Formula None
Formula None

Formula None wrote:Clever integration of the swan's neck RW center support on the R18.
It should be noted that the Riley Technologies LMP2 concept sported this integrated legality fin/center support detail months ago. http://www.rileytech.com/Newsarticles/News.asp?Itm=24

Closed top version:

The front suspension is supposed to be pretty unique according to the press release and Mulsanne Mike's analysis. As you can see, its almost non-existent. To me, this implies the control arms are tucked away inside the upper bodywork crossover and the splitter interior. No pushrods, so the arms could be reinforced as a rocker setup and acting on the suspension directly (see below). Taller uprights could pick up the extra high and extra low locations of those arms. A secondary pivot for steering could be incorporated in the upright to correct the upset of having such odd locations for the control arm/upright connection.

The drag reduction offered by eliminating a pushrod or pullrod seems like it would be pretty valuable and I'd expect to see this as energy efficiency becomes more of an issue in various motorsports.

Any thoughts on how they've eliminated the front pushrod? Or did they just leave it out of the rendering... :?

wesley123
wesley123

Thank you for that explaination as i just could not seem to understand how the Riley was legal.

The drag reduction that is generated with this is immense, just think of the Audi with this suspension, it wouldnt need all those panels anymore.

747heavy

wesley123 wrote: I am just so sure that this car isnt going to be an Le Mans winner, certainly not given the much lower drag peugeot who got way better traction.
Seeing this:
LeMans Regs wrote: Hybrid vehicle drivetrain systems will be extensively allowed with the new regulations, which include kinetic-energy recovery systems (KERS; no push-to-pass systems - KERS in LMP cars must be activated with the accelerator pedal), as well as four-wheel drive (non-hybrid vehicles will remain two-wheel drive, specifically rear-wheel drive).
and seeing that it is Audi,
It would not surprise me, if the car was AWD with a electric driven front axle.
Think Porsche 911 RS Hybrid style.

Maybe not right now, but I´m sure it will be part of the future developments.
This may goes a way to explain the weight & downforce distribution and the room for large front wheels/tires to be used.

I´m reasonable sure this downforce and drag figures, are just to take people for a ride. Audi would not make such a mistake in a press release/press photos.
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci