Flexible wings controversy 2010

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
myurr
myurr

Re: Red Bull RB6

phezzy wrote:That cable assembly looks a bit too 'agricultural' to be used for measuring purposes...maybe it was meant to prevent the wing from flexing so that other teams would not pick up on the amount of flex...?
Definitely for preventing flex - perhaps to measure the difference between different amounts of flex by adjusting the play in the cables.

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

This whole thing of the front wing flexing like these photos show has to be a new phenomena otherwise I cannot imagine we wouldn't have picked it up on that much movement much earlier than now. I'm thinking it was probably introduced in Germany.

Given that RB was a bit off the pace there I wonder if this even turned out to be a GOOD idea. We may never see it again. So go ahead McLaren, follow this dead end as well.

Of course the big issue here is whether it meets with the rules and it's already been determined that it does so that's been cleared up too.

The wing study in testing shows a lot of interesting things .. there is side to side flex as well as flex under g forces. Of course last year teams were ballasting the the front wings as heavy as they could get them .. this year not so much.

marcush.
marcush.

BreezyRacer wrote:This whole thing of the front wing flexing like these photos show has to be a new phenomena otherwise I cannot imagine we wouldn't have picked it up on that much movement much earlier than now. I'm thinking it was probably introduced in Germany.

Given that RB was a bit off the pace there I wonder if this even turned out to be a GOOD idea. We may never see it again. So go ahead McLaren, follow this dead end as well.

Of course the big issue here is whether it meets with the rules and it's already been determined that it does so that's been cleared up too.

The wing study in testing shows a lot of interesting things .. there is side to side flex as well as flex under g forces. Of course last year teams were ballasting the the front wings as heavy as they could get them .. this year not so much.
breezy ...NO it was apparent earlier this year already...we discussed this already before Canada....this thread in may..pages 63...65 etc..

boydy19
boydy19

Just to throw something into the mix, do you remember Vettels wing actually breaking under load a couple of races ago. Nobody really took note of that at the time but i remember at the time thinking that was quite weird.

marcush.
marcush.

boydy19 wrote:Just to throw something into the mix, do you remember Vettels wing actually breaking under load a couple of races ago. Nobody really took note of that at the time but i remember at the time thinking that was quite weird.
in silverstone but then it was the nosecone which did work loose...

EL_XR6
EL_XR6

boydy19 wrote:Just to throw something into the mix, do you remember Vettels wing actually breaking under load a couple of races ago. Nobody really took note of that at the time but i remember at the time thinking that was quite weird.
I wouldnt say it broke off, it more so dislodged at the connection point.

boydy19
boydy19

marcush. wrote:
in silverstone but then it was the nosecone which did work loose...
Could the nosecone be part of the flex?

aral
aral

It was actually the nose cone fixings that broke!

The comparison photos shown, to try and show deflection, are taken in differing light conditions. The sunny ones are with a higher angle of light. Look how the nose itself gets wider and narrower!

Whateer is happening, the wings comply with the rules, and have been tested by FIA, so surely it is better to be praising Newey, for finding a new way to extract more speed from his cars. We all want innovation, but when it arrives, there are many who criticise it.

Watch slo-mos of cars riding the kerbs, and you will see considerable deflection in all front wings. The more pressure you put on the deflectors, the more likely it is that there will be some movement. Put a lot of vanes on a wing, and the downforce on the end plates will be increased.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: Flexible wings controversy

Indeed so. The rules say "X deflection when Y load is placed at Z on the wing". If it passes that then it's legal.

It's against the much talked about 'spirit of the rules' but then the 'spirit of the rules' isn't what the cars are judged against.

No different to McLaren's f-duct concept. It meets the letter of the rules if not the 'spirit of the rules'. It too is legal. Just like the double diffuser etc. etc.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

gibells
gibells

Question to you guys out there, because at the time I had exiled myself from the sport due to the same old same old.

Are these flexible floors not in the same precident as the flexi floor used by Ferrari a few years back? I mean to say that the floor IIRC was not unlawful, but against the spirit of safety? It this not the same thing?

jason.parker.86
jason.parker.86

Weird going on with this Red Bull car. Start of the season it appears to be able to adjust its ride height between qualifying and the race... then their is the EBD... then this Q3 "special map" and now the flexi wings. I think the other teams are clutching at straws and its just overall a fantastic package.

Small economical engine (which I am sure we will hear Horner moan about in the coming races when the other teams begin to catch up) with fantastic cooling properties coupled with a rear end which is tighter than JLO's!

Their only mistake was putting two idiots in the driving seats.

However... I do remember hearing Horner saying in post race interviews at Silverstone that Newey was "very keen" to run the new wing (which Vettel stole). I am thinking that it has not bent as much as it is doing in recent races because the others teams would have surely picked up on it by now.

boydy19
boydy19

gilgen wrote:
It was actually the nose cone fixings that broke!

The comparison photos shown, to try and show deflection, are taken in differing light conditions. The sunny ones are with a higher angle of light. Look how the nose itself gets wider and narrower!

Whateer is happening, the wings comply with the rules, and have been tested by FIA, so surely it is better to be praising Newey, for finding a new way to extract more speed from his cars. We all want innovation, but when it arrives, there are many who criticise it.

Watch slo-mos of cars riding the kerbs, and you will see considerable deflection in all front wings. The more pressure you put on the deflectors, the more likely it is that there will be some movement. Put a lot of vanes on a wing, and the downforce on the end plates will be increased.
I wouldn't call this particular area 'innovation', i'd rather put it down to interpretation and 'flexing' the rules. After watching onboard of redbull and mclaren i can clearly see the ends of the wing on the red bull moving up and down considerabely while the Mclaren doesn't move at all.

They are obviously flexing beyond the limit but under the FIA test they have found a way to be in the limit. 500N load is not a lot, didn't someone mention there is 8000N of load during a race?

vall
vall

gibells wrote:Question to you guys out there, because at the time I had exiled myself from the sport due to the same old same old.

Are these flexible floors not in the same precident as the flexi floor used by Ferrari a few years back? I mean to say that the floor IIRC was not unlawful, but against the spirit of safety? It this not the same thing?
to say so, one should prove that they are flexible. FIA tests so far show that they are not. You cannot judge from couple of pictures. If FIA tests with realistic DF levels then it would be a different story. But again, they should re-write the regulations.

WhiteBlue

vall wrote:there is no controversy at all!!! The rules say how the flexibility should be tested and what are the allowed margins. If the measurements are within the allowed limits, this it.
The tests are not set in stone. They are just a momentary way of verification. If sufficient evidence is presented by competitors that aero devices are movable the tests can be unilaterally changed from one event to the next by the FiA. No consent of the teams is needed. There is sufficient precedent in the last rear wing debate to show that the FiA will indeed react by tightening the tolerances in the tests or changing the testing arrangements all together.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

snowy
snowy

Mark Webber's onboard footage from Barcelona clearly shows the wing flexing. So they have been using this clever wing thing for at least that long...