Haas - American team in F1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Gettingonabit
Gettingonabit

Re: Haas - American team in F1

langwadt wrote:
marcush. wrote:
BanMeToo wrote:Why is any team in F1 right now?
http://static.twoday.net/formel1/images ... 1Chick.jpg

any more questions?
you don't need a several 100 million F1 team for that ;)
No! but it would help. :wink:

langwadt
langwadt

Gettingonabit wrote:
langwadt wrote:
I think 100M in your pocket will help more than 100M wasted on a failed F1 team ;)

marcush.
marcush.

xpensive wrote:
I think the established teams, at least Ferrari, RBR, and McLaren, are doing good, but establishing a new one is a gargantuan task.

The last one to manage that on his own was Eddie Jordan, but that was a quarter of a century ago.
and that was : not paying Cosworth bills ,employing pay drivers (schumacher),forced to switch to useless yamaha engines for the second year.. etc etc...

marcush.
marcush.

langwadt wrote:
Gettingonabit wrote:
langwadt wrote:
I think 100M in your pocket will help more than 100M wasted on a failed F1 team ;)
Not that I would oppose to your views ..but racing creates that aura for a lot of females to completely go bananas -I prefer not to elaborate any deeper into this topic as it is a fair bit too far on the slippery side for this forum.
I sometimes have the impression people engaged in motorsport have a very serious personality problem :shock:

GitanesBlondes

marcush. wrote:
xpensive wrote:
I think the established teams, at least Ferrari, RBR, and McLaren, are doing good, but establishing a new one is a gargantuan task.

The last one to manage that on his own was Eddie Jordan, but that was a quarter of a century ago.
and that was : not paying Cosworth bills ,employing pay drivers (schumacher),forced to switch to useless yamaha engines for the second year.. etc etc...
Eddie Jordan had a good thing in 1991 and managed to piss that all away for 1992. Too bad he didn't pay the Cosworth bill. Those Yamaha engines were an absolute joke.

But being in F1 is about prestige these days. Winning doesn't factor into it as with the money being spent, there are cheaper options to be had if that's what you really care about.

Gene Haas has no plan for F1 no matter how much he tries to imply that he does. He could field the 2015 Marussia cars along with the Ferrari support he claims to have. It would just be a benchmark season, and he could figure out really quickly if he is cut out for this stuff.
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

marcush.
marcush.

right.
In your first year in F1 you cannot hope for anything remotely similar to what Jordan pulled off in 1991..In fact a lot of teams did fairly well in their debut season but when it came to campaigning a car PLUS designing next years challenger most newcomers ground to a sudden halt...
Remember Onyx?,Dallara ,Rial, they all did not too shabby when joining but could not sustain .
Sauber was a lot better prepared (thanks to Mercedes bucks) - BAR was quick but too fragile ,Toyota was too conservative -slow

acosmichippo
acosmichippo

GitanesBlondes wrote:Gene Haas has no plan for F1 no matter how much he tries to imply that he does.
What do you mean by that? Sounds like the overall plan is pretty clear to me - get on the grid with as many second-hand Ferrari parts as possible.

xpensive
xpensive

marcush. wrote: ...
Don't forget ignoring his deal with Stefan Johansson, all in order to take on pay-drivers Gachot and de Cesaris.
acosmichippo wrote:
GitanesBlondes wrote:Gene Haas has no plan for F1 no matter how much he tries to imply that he does.
What do you mean by that? Sounds like the overall plan is pretty clear to me - get on the grid with as many second-hand Ferrari parts as possible.
I think GB agrees with me that Gene Has is a little too smart to piss away his money on F1, but a cool marketing ploy it is.
Last edited by xpensive on 29 Dec 2014, 19:05, edited 1 time in total.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

acosmichippo wrote:
He has no plan for F1 regarding being in F1 to sportively achieve something.

If you'd take RedBull for example; their goal was (and is) to be Champions, regardless of the money they raise through the advertising/brand exposure. Red Bull has been a sponsor in F1 for ages, but when they decided to run a full team, they had sportive ambitions. When Mercedes took over Brawn, they took it over with the goal of becoming champions. Sporting ambitions. They failed in their first 'recipe', then restructured and used the new F1 style for their benefit.
Ferrari has ambitions. Mclaren has ambitions. Williams has ambitions.

Haas has no 'plan' in the way he has no real ambitions. He's making it as easy for him as possible; stating the first five years are just intended to 'survive'. In other words; he has defended himself in advance if for the full coming 5 years he doesn't achieve a single thing; he can be a HRT for 5 years and he can just call it a day in the meanwhile.
After those 5 years then would be his 'genuine' goal to start having ambitions. I call BS.

He was going to build his own cars first, now he's just doing a Ferrari wholesale shopping spree, and he buys a marussia tub. lego his way through it and he's got a 'car'. It can be trash for the whole run, he's just there for brand exposure, that's it. He said he wants to use F1 to atleast double his billion dollar enterprise.

He buys the Marussia location to set up his 'european' base. He gets a F1 base for budget prizes. He's built a charlotte homebase, but that building can be used for lots of causes. And the most beautifull thing of it all: tax-deductive, and if the F1 sage flops/tumbles, he can sell or bankrupt his F1 department, yet keep his facility in charlotte scot-free and just take off that logo at the front and use it for other purpose.

Haas has not embraced a single 'sportive ambition', it's all about his CNC exposure. He could call it a day even at the end of 2015 and walk away with his sunglasses on all content about the attention his business has gotten.

Haas should have been on the grid already, but he postponed it because he initially said they wanted to make a good start and weren't where they wanted to be. The truth reveals (by his own words, and i've posted enough about this ex-convict [yes, thats the truth, look it up]) that was immensily wrong about the sheer work involved in F1 and how little they knew and how little they had done right.

I'm still highly doubtfull whether he'll ever put a car on the grid. I can see him becoming a main sponsor instead.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

xpensive wrote:
marcush. wrote: ...
Don't forget ignoring his deal with Stefan Johansson, all in order to take on pay-drivers Gachot and de Cesaris.
acosmichippo wrote:
I think GB agrees with me that Gene Has is a little too smart to piss away his money on F1, but a cool marketing ploy it is.
+2
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

acosmichippo
acosmichippo

Manoah2u wrote:
acosmichippo wrote:
He has no plan for F1 regarding being in F1 to sportively achieve something.

If you'd take RedBull for example; their goal was (and is) to be Champions, regardless of the money they raise through the advertising/brand exposure. Red Bull has been a sponsor in F1 for ages, but when they decided to run a full team, they had sportive ambitions. When Mercedes took over Brawn, they took it over with the goal of becoming champions. Sporting ambitions. They failed in their first 'recipe', then restructured and used the new F1 style for their benefit.
Ferrari has ambitions. Mclaren has ambitions. Williams has ambitions.
Those teams are all in *hugely* different financial and/or technical situations than Haas. Would you say Marussia had "sporting ambitions"? Or Caterham? Or HRT? Of course they did. The ambitions may not have been to win the championship (or even a GP) any time soon, but they were all there to compete. Similarly, Haas may be just setting realistic 5-year goals for their budget. As a new team with WAY less money than Red Bull and Mercedes, simply surviving for 5 years would be a huge accomplishment in the current F1 climate, and if they can finish anywhere other than dead last it'll be even better.

It's true I don't understand the marketing appeal of F1 for Haas, but I can say the same for just about every team/sponsor. Somehow these huge corporations justify it.

xpensive
xpensive

Haas obviously has sporting ambitions, but as he's no romantic dreamer, it applies only where he has a realistic chance to win.

In NASCAR he can have a win every fortnight, but just to pick up a few points in F1 would cost him another digit. He knows this.

acosmichippo
acosmichippo

True, but NASCAR isn't exactly a global stage to promote your brand.

xpensive
xpensive

acosmichippo wrote:True, but NASCAR isn't exactly a global stage to promote your brand.
But NASCAR might be the right forum for Haas' products, not so sure if F1 is relly, either way there are less costly ways.

rscsr

xpensive wrote:
acosmichippo wrote:True, but NASCAR isn't exactly a global stage to promote your brand.
But NASCAR might be the right forum for Haas' products, not so sure if F1 is relly, either way there are less costly ways.
But he said, that he wants exposure in Europe. Which you can't do with NASCAR.