Red Bull RB18

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Andi76
Andi76

Re: Red Bull RB18

Just heard that one of the Red Bull wishbone goes "through the chassis"... does anyone have a picture of it?
Last edited by Andi76 on 12 Mar 2022, 12:25, edited 1 time in total.

Giando

Andi76 wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 11:01
Just heard that one of the Red Bull wishbones goes "through the chassis"... does anyone have a picture of it?
i guess it's this picture you're talking about...

Andi76
Andi76

Thank you! Reminds me of 2001...Rory Byrne introduced the one-piece-wishbone on the Ferrari F2001. But it was the lower wishbone. Renault and Minardi copied it in 2002, and if my memory does not trick me Ferrari and Renault used this untill 2006. Maybe Newey remembered this idea and made use of it and adapting it.
Last edited by Andi76 on 12 Mar 2022, 11:16, edited 2 times in total.

gandharva

To me it looks like they still use the same floor. The new sidepods are just bolted on the old mounting points. Saves a lot of money.

AeroDynamic

gandharva

"Some little bits" will follow in the afternoon according to Horner.

AeroDynamic

FlowViz on the beam wing
Motorsport.com

#AMuS

PlatinumZealot

They are doing a very tidy job so far.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... YuPnF.html

ANALYSIS: Exploring the updated Red Bull RB18 that broke cover on the final day of testing in Bahrain

Special contributor

Mark Hughes

AeroDynamic

Sevach
Sevach

While Ferrari tries to keep air in the middle, Red Bull pushes it to the side.

Also this could easily be reworked into high shoulders if they want to, won't need to move many things internally.

Powy
Powy

The new RB sidepods with that step remind me of the 2015 Spain Ferrari sidepods.

vorticism

𓄀

Wouter

https://nl.motorsport.com/f1/news/max-v ... w22dVLPfnQ

Verstappen has good news about RB18: "Little affected by porpoising"
Max Verstappen states that Red Bull Racing no longer suffers from bouncing due to the ground effect, also known as porpoising. Mercedes certainly experienced a lot of inconvenience on Friday afternoon with Lewis Hamilton behind the wheel, but according to Verstappen it is not that bad in the RB18. It should therefore not be a problem for the first race in Bahrain.

"The regulations have of course changed quite a bit", Max Verstappen kicked off the conversation with the Dutch press in the paddock.
"A lot of downforce is generated by the floor and the faster you go, the more the car is sucked towards the tarmac," he explains the basic principle of ground effect.
"Then the car comes down and at some point there comes so much pressure that the floor goes into a stall. The faster you go, the more the floor will do that. That's the whole problem." It causes headaches, although in theory the solution is quite simple. "You can solve it in different ways. First of all by looking at the floor and finding out why exactly that stalling happens. The second option is to raise the ride height. Then you are less bothered by it, but you lose a lot of money. a lot of down force."

It will force some teams to make compromises in ride height between qualifying and the race, although that is not an issue at Red Bull. "No, not for us. We are not really bothered by it. I have to say: we have already tried a few things in Barcelona and since we arrived here in Bahrain, we are not really bothered by it anymore," Verstappen said to a question from Motorsport.com.
Asked whether Red Bull Racing has already adjusted the ride height slightly as a precaution, the world champion responds:
"Well, it's more a matter of learning how to adjust such a car and what else you can do. That's looking pretty good now."
The Power of Dreams!

AeroDynamic