2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
dren

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Del Boy wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 21:43
dren wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 13:42
I know what happened. I've followed the team ever since Button joined them.
Unless your 12 that's not an endorsement! I'm 51 and been a supporter since 1975. I was 9 when Mr Hunt won the WDC.
Just saying!!!
I'm not much a fan of the team. I liked Button from his BAR days, so I naturally followed him and Honda. Looks like I'll be rooting for the two Bull squads.
Honda!

OviJohn
OviJohn

Mad wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 17:17
OviJohn wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 16:35
Save this quote please:

More from Honda's motorsport boss: "Next year our goal is to fight for the top three of the grid." #SkyF1 #F1

Just so some folks here remind themselves on who sets "wild or beyond expectation" targets.
Maybe he meant the top 3 in terms of engine?
Nahhh, "Top three of the grid" (Reading the whole statements)

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/09/15/h ... osso-2018/

You really have to admire the man for being this confident. All I can say is: good luck Toro Rosso!

adrianjordan

Redragon wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 21:32
To my eyes this is Williams II, Mclaren from greatness to be another costumer team that if lucky will win a contractors Wordchampionship that haven't done since1998 and probably will not win again until 2022? or beyond. Hopefully I will eat my words but that's how I see it.
Mclaren and Williams have one major difference as I see it. The financial clout of their owners. Williams' owners are nowhere near as wealthy as Mclaren's, even with Mr Stroll pumping some money in.

Of course on the other hand, Williams aren't running an automotive company that is direct competition for some of the manufacturers that might be looking to join the sport.

But I don't see Mclaren becoming Williams Mk2, they have very different attitudes to racing - the fact that Mclaren are even considering building their own PU from 2021 tells you that much!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Del Boy wrote:
dren wrote:
Unless your 12 that's not an endorsement! I'm 51 and been a supporter since 1975. I was 9 when Mr Hunt won the WDC.
Just saying!!!
oh dear god is this really becoming a slap 'em on the table measurement contest? for real?
who cares, really.

there are people following F1 and all in it since the early 90's, early 2000s, early 2010s, since the 80's, etcetcetc.
stop acting like somebody has more 'street cred' or is more 'whoa' than the other just because they were born earlier.
come on, for real.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

DFX
DFX

Manoah2u wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 23:26
Del Boy wrote:
dren wrote:
Just saying!!!
oh dear god is this really becoming a slap 'em on the table measurement contest? for real?
who cares, really.

there are people following F1 and all in it since the early 90's, early 2000s, early 2010s, since the 80's, etcetcetc.
stop acting like somebody has more 'street cred' or is more 'whoa' than the other just because they were born earlier.
come on, for real.
He is right though, Dren used the argument that he "knew what was going on on Mclaren" because he follow the team since 2010. By his own logic anyone who follows the team earlier than that should have a more insightful view and we all know that this is a flawed argument.

I think Del Boy just exposed that, rather than using his 'street cred' as you said.

GoranF1
GoranF1

Mclaren will not have enough space for all the sponsors next year on the car.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

ClarkBT11

TAG Heuer maybe...

NathanOlder

Manoah2u wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 12:36

1996: Beaten by hill by a single point. .
As Roy Walker once said, "Its good, buts its not right"

96 Hill spent his days battling that rookie Canadian from Oval racing.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Jacinto
Jacinto

zeph wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 20:25
Jacinto wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 19:33
And that´s the reason I say Mclaren´s declined after 2007: they were no longer Mercedes "works team", they lost qualified personnel, mostly (but not only) to Mercedes, lost money from Vodafone...
I understood you the first time, but it is incorrect. They stopped being a Mercedes works team at the end of 2009, when Mercedes bought BrawnGP. Not in 2007, not because of Spygate.

If you want to know more:
http://www.f1technical.net/news/13785
https://www.google.com/search?q=McLaren ... F2010&tbm=
Zeph,

You if you pay attention to my post, I wrote "Mclaren´s declined after 2007". Key word here is "after", which means, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016. That´s why I included the Vodafone sponsorship (2013), the loss of qualified personnel, including Hamilton (2012). It was a process started in 2007 and spilling to the folowwing years, at least asI see it.

But, on the other hand, I do believe that Mercedes bought Brawn GP because of spygate. Not only because of spygate, surely, but as I see, spygate was that last drop that makes the cup overflow.

But I´m happy to agree to desagree.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

And we come full circle with that Alonso was asked to drive for BrawnGP but declined the offer.
It's amazing how Alonso keeps ending up at the worst places possible for him.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Redragon

adrianjordan wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 22:35
Redragon wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 21:32
To my eyes this is Williams II, Mclaren from greatness to be another costumer team that if lucky will win a contractors Wordchampionship that haven't done since1998 and probably will not win again until 2022? or beyond. Hopefully I will eat my words but that's how I see it.
Mclaren and Williams have one major difference as I see it. The financial clout of their owners. Williams' owners are nowhere near as wealthy as Mclaren's, even with Mr Stroll pumping some money in.

Of course on the other hand, Williams aren't running an automotive company that is direct competition for some of the manufacturers that might be looking to join the sport.

But I don't see Mclaren becoming Williams Mk2, they have very different attitudes to racing - the fact that Mclaren are even considering building their own PU from 2021 tells you that much!!
This thing of building their PU by 2021 it is what it buggers me most, Mclaren had a deal that brought money, partnership and exclusivity. If they have the capability of doing their own engine why they didn't help with the development of Honda engine?

If that's true it means Mclaten never had intention to fulfill Honda contract and do from 2021 their own stuff.

And yep Mclaren might be richier and more resourceful than Williams (which make his situation even more catastrophic than Williams) and still haven't win a condtactors championship since 1998 and a drivers since 2008, wich was a car evolved from documents stolen by Ferrari.

As i said to my eyes to brake an exclusive lucrative with 4th engine on the grid right now (starting to show some potential) to become a costumer team with 3rd engine on the grid and with more time in development that Honda. Just to do a quick fix for sponsors!? On those terms don't think will win in near future at least 2022 or beyond as I say. if that the case that's make them Williams Mk2

zeph
zeph

Manoah2u wrote:
16 Sep 2017, 03:00
And we come full circle with that Alonso was asked to drive for BrawnGP but declined the offer.
It's amazing how Alonso keeps ending up at the worst places possible for him.
McLaren in '07 was a perfect career move, but it tainted him, for sure.

Even Ferrari in '10 wasn't the worst possible place at the time. It seemed like the only viable option after he burned his bridges at McLaren, because nobody knew that RBR would build a bunch of rocket ships. In '07/'08 a team like BMW looked like a better option than RBR. Also, I think I read somewhere that Christian Horner approached Alonso sometime in 2008 for the seat that eventually went to Vettel in 2009. Alonso and Webber would have made an excellent team, no doubt.

If anything, I think Alonso has been too conservative in his career choices. He wanted to go to McLaren and then to Ferrari. Known quantities with a pedigree. Not outliers like Brawn or RBR. By comparison, Hamilton took a (small) leap of faith, going to Mercedes, and boy did that pay off. A small leap, because with Ross Brawn in charge and the corporate might of Daimler Benz AG, there was always a better than even chance they'd make good, eventually. But still, it wasn't guaranteed.

Squid
Squid

zeph wrote:
16 Sep 2017, 04:31
Also, I think I read somewhere that Christian Horner approached Alonso sometime in 2008 for the seat that eventually went to Vettel in 2009.
After his relationship with Ferrari soured to the point where he wanted out, he realized he had no other options (Mercedes had Hamilton and didn't want him, McLaren wanted a 3 year contract, Alonso only wanted 1 year) and tried to mend his bridge with Ferrari, but by that point they were already in the process of signing Vettel and showed him the door. Without options, Alonso signed the 3 year contract with McLaren which brings us to exactly where we are today.

Vettel apparently follows Alonso around, but gets there at the right time. If this is any indication, the moment Alonso quits McLaren, Vettel will sign for them and win another WDC :lol:

Jokes aside, one of Alonso's biggest mistake was not following Newey or Brawn. At the time they were risky bets, but they are like the King Midas of F1. You're very right to say Alonso was too conservative. Some risk taking and he might have equalled Schumacher in WDCs.

Oh well, hindsight is 20/20.

geogate
geogate

If Mclaren were a Williams MkII, then they would be sticking with Honda

Far
Far

Now McLaren will have Renault engines I dont have follow these engine and the updates or what to expect from then this year.
Btw the Renault engine treat is almost dead here.