Red Bull RB18

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
chrisc90

Re: Red Bull RB18

Lovely lap from Max there.

Martin just said the RB can run the car with the floor touching the floor and not porpoising. Compared to the Merc which is clearly the worst at the moment.

Seems like Newey and the team have done a VERY good job from what we've seen

chrisc90

That grin from Marko and the rest of the team. This is looking to be a VERY GOOD car and todays upgrades have got it working simply lovely.

InsaneX_Badger

Definitely is exciting to be an RBR fan right now. Max and RBR 2022 champ is on the cards for sure.

ringo

Yep i knew this car was going to be a very refined one! Good job by the team.
It's very stable but lets see how much pace it has. It does not seem to have any weakness in the path that rhey havr chosen.
For Sure!!

Sieper

chrisc90 wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 17:44

Martin just said the RB can run the car with the floor touching the floor and not porpoising. Compared to the Merc which is clearly the worst at the moment.

I read that a lot. And yes, porpoising was better controlled, but I have been watching live and to me the Merc still seemed closer to the ground. The closest off all.

skwdenyer
skwdenyer

Andi76 wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 11:12
Thank you! Reminds me of 2001...Rory Byrne introduced the one-piece-wishbone on the Ferrari F2001. But it was the lower wishbone. Renault and Minardi copied it in 2002, and if my memory does not trick me Ferrari and Renault used this untill 2006. Maybe Newey remembered this idea and made use of it and adapting it.
IIRC those one-piece wishbones just used a single flexure, but were functionally independent.

This RBR design looks like it will act as a spring.

ringo

Could that top arm also act a steering arm or camber arm?

It looks to me like it can transfer load from one side to the other causing camber changes in high speed corners. :-k
For Sure!!

JesperA
JesperA

ringo wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 21:08

It looks to me like it can transfer load from one side to the other causing camber changes in high speed corners. :-k
So for instance, the rear/bottom arm is fixed & the top arm is floating in it's fixture inside the nose? Maybe with bumpstops to control how much change is allowed? Is that what you mean?

Andi76
Andi76

skwdenyer wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 20:59
Andi76 wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 11:12
Thank you! Reminds me of 2001...Rory Byrne introduced the one-piece-wishbone on the Ferrari F2001. But it was the lower wishbone. Renault and Minardi copied it in 2002, and if my memory does not trick me Ferrari and Renault used this untill 2006. Maybe Newey remembered this idea and made use of it and adapting it.
IIRC those one-piece wishbones just used a single flexure, but were functionally independent.

This RBR design looks like it will act as a spring.
Thats not 100% correct. I talked to a Ferrari engineer of this time. Their one piece lower wishbone had a single flexure, but was built in a way such that it actually had dampening characteristics.

ringo

JesperA wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 21:38
ringo wrote:

So for instance, the rear/bottom arm is fixed & the top arm is floating in it's fixture inside the nose? Maybe with bumpstops to control how much change is allowed? Is that what you mean?
Yes along those lines where it takes a lot of load to get displacement but it does displace even minutely.
For Sure!!

Andi76
Andi76

Sieper wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 19:12
chrisc90 wrote:

I read that a lot. And yes, porpoising was better controlled, but I have been watching live and to me the Merc still seemed closer to the ground. The closest off all.
Then you watched another pre-season test than me. Mercedes was not closer to the ground than Ferrari or Red Bull. And definetely not the closest of all.

vorticism

JesperA wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 21:38
ringo wrote:

It's bolted through to each corner of the bulkhead. So you'd need either compliant gaskets somewhere or a mechanism to allow the anchor points to pivot. I'd guess free movement laterally of the arm would not be advantageous and only add instability. Image of anchoring point:

viewtopic.php?p=1039446&hilit=cover#p1039446
𓄀

chrisc90

Andi76 wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 21:59
Sieper wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:

Then you watched another pre-season test than me. Mercedes was not closer to the ground than Ferrari or Red Bull. And definetely not the closest of all.
could say the RB was on the floor, the typical sparks out the back from the floor pan like we seen last year.

On a daft note, maybe could use that as a artificial bump stop to stop the porpoising on some other cars.

Sieper

Andi76 wrote:
Sieper wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:

We were watching different things then. Merc is so close to the ground that when porpoising the whole side of the floor literally is on the ground.

Redbull was much more stable but always a few centimeters of the ground:

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Sieper wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 00:04
Andi76 wrote:
Sieper wrote:

We were watching different things then. Merc is so close to the ground that when porpoising the whole side of the floor literally is on the ground.
I'm afraid this is not a very rigorous analysis. You can't just pick one video where the Merc is in a high speed right hander rolling and dragging on the ground, and then find another video of the RB going in a straight line. All cars are skirting the floor depending on the corner, roll angle, bumps etc. The RB floor also is seen to be skating along the ground in many corners as the body rolls.