Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Ganxxta
Ganxxta

Re: Mercedes GP W02

Ferraripilot wrote:Schu had a interview with BBC where he expressed concern regarding their pace. Was this prior to him running in Jerez?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsp ... um=twitter
Yes it was: "Schumacher, who was talking on Thursday before driving the car in Jerez,..."

I think those cooling openings are just there to see the influence of a possible (more aerodynamic) cooling solution at this place.

Caerdroia
Caerdroia

Ferraripilot wrote:Schu had a interview with BBC where he expressed concern regarding their pace. Was this prior to him running in Jerez?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsp ... um=twitter
That was after today's test.

luca
luca

Ok, now I am starting to worry.
If they are really off the pace, they should introduce every new component they have ASAP (at least at the next test next week). Hiding a new part or sandbagging it won't help. It's not like Red Bull is going to copy them. That way at least they could see their real potential and limits.

Phillyred
Phillyred

luca wrote:Ok, now I am starting to worry.
If they are really off the pace, they should introduce every new component they have ASAP (at least at the next test next week). Hiding a new part or sandbagging it won't help. It's not like Red Bull is going to copy them. That way at least they could see their real potential and limits.
Patience young skywalker.. Throwing every new bit and the kitchen sink at the W02 would only complicate and slow down the evolution and progress.. They need to understand the "basics" first esp. tire wear and how it responds to basic tweaks. I think all would agree that they are in better shape right now than they were a year ago.

luca
luca

Yes, that may be one way to look at it. But, for example, they could at least try a new front wing (which should have a significant impact on the whole car). They have had that front wing for 2 years now. Honestly, I can't remember any other team that has had the same wing for so much time in recent history.
Maybe there's a reason why almost every other team has been using a triple plan wing...

scuderiafan

luca wrote:Yes, that may be one way to look at it. But, for example, they could at least try a new front wing (which should have a significant impact on the whole car). They have had that front wing for 2 years now. Honestly, I can't remember any other team that has had the same wing for so much time in recent history.
Maybe there's a reason why almost every other team has been using a triple plan wing...
They will most likely have tweaks for the entire car in terms of aero at Bahrain.
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

n_anirudh
n_anirudh

Is that the Merc body work getting burnt near the floor of the sidepods,close to the exit of the exhaust??

Timstr
Timstr

Rectangular holes in the front wing. What good could that do?

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... _20111.jpg

n_anirudh
n_anirudh

Interesting holes there..its the part of the wing which produces most d/f,
am wondering if its to add additional slots :?

LegendaryM

its not a rectangular hole, its a slot, making it a triple element front wing in the center!
MRVC: Tolo Racing

luca
luca

That's not really a NEW wing, but there's something different at least. So yay! :P

P.S.: Another red flag for Rosberg. There's something weird going on when he's driving. LOL! :lol:

JohnsonsEvilTwin

LegendaryM wrote:its not a rectangular hole, its a slot, making it a triple element front wing in the center!
Is this a precursor to a full blown triple element front wing?
More could have been done.
David Purley

luca
luca

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Is this a precursor to a full blown triple element front wing?
I surely hope so. :)

Gui59
Gui59

In fact not new, Renault and MC Laren had almost same design last year.

luca
luca

So, what the hell happened today? Does anybody know what kind of problem they had?
They missed a lot of useful mileage. Also, they could not try this sort of new wing enough. :(