[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Goosebumps. That soundtrack. Screams of power and anger.

haza
haza

How in the hell did we manage to be less than 3 tenths off pole we were somewhere like 1.7 seconds off last year if I’m not mistaken also I would have thought this track would be tricky giving the slow speed corners

McL-H
McL-H

Darth-Piekus wrote:
12 Dec 2020, 16:16
Well Perez is a fantastic driver and I would like for him to be back on Mclaren for a second chance
I absolutely hope NOT. Perez is a highly overrated driver that I hope to never see at McLaren again. I sincerely hope he goes to Red Bull next year, so that the hype finally ends after he gets destroyed again against a teammate that absolutely is championship material. Perez lucked himself into podiums before this season. And this year he is driving a championship winning car, with which Max would have probably been fighting for race wins much more often this year.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

This season has surprised me so often. What was left turned out to be right. And right became left.

I’ve found the MCL35 a bit of a mystery. If we can extract this amount of performance out of the car consistently then just wow. Excited for next year already

Xero

Lando confirmed split strategies was his choice. Perez will slice through the field tomorrow, but hopefully gets held up once he reaches the Renaults. Or potentially gets caught up with some opening lap drama. Albon is going to be punchy tomorrow too, 4th is by no means to be expected. Stroll's pace doesn't seem great, so perhaps that's what 3rd will ultimately hinge on.

Emag
Emag

Xero wrote:
12 Dec 2020, 16:45
Lando confirmed split strategies was his choice. Perez will slice through the field tomorrow, but hopefully gets held up once he reaches the Renaults. Or potentially gets caught up with some opening lap drama. Albon is going to be punchy tomorrow too, 4th is by no means to be expected. Stroll's pace doesn't seem great, so perhaps that's what 3rd will ultimately hinge on.
I don't want to wish misfortune to the others because Karma might come and bite us in the ass. First things first, the team should focus to have a clean race themselves with both cars finishing. Then they can focus about RacingPoint.

mwillems

haza wrote:
12 Dec 2020, 16:42
How in the hell did we manage to be less than 3 tenths off pole we were somewhere like 1.7 seconds off last year if I’m not mistaken also I would have thought this track would be tricky giving the slow speed corners
Because all season we have been predicting which tracks we would be fast on, and all almost always it never went the way folks said.

I don't fully understand this car or its strengths, to be honest.

But great work by Norris, he pulled it together today. He needs to not throw it away tomorrow.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

These tires and how they interact with the chassis balance really are so dependent on track/ambient temperatures and wind direction/speed. Clearly the car was in its sweet spot and could keep the softs on the rear axle alive in S3. NOR onboard was the best I’ve seen of any driver this year. All apexes hit, hardly any corrections throughout the lap. Just mega

_cerber1

Where did we get the speed in S3?

billamend
billamend

Lando said on the radio that that this was his first “alright” lap of the season.

McL-H wrote:
12 Dec 2020, 16:44
I absolutely hope NOT. Perez is a highly overrated driver that I hope to never see at McLaren again
It’s an unpopular opinion but I agree with you. I believe the RP20 was at many moments the 2nd best car on the grid.
Last edited by billamend on 12 Dec 2020, 18:47, edited 2 times in total.

bauc

Great qualy for our team, but as we all know the most important day is tomorrow, we are in the fight for P3, it will be super hard but I believe in this team.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Macklaren
Macklaren

Too bad both cars will start on the clean side of the grid but hope Lewis is rusty and has a slow start and Bottas bottles up Albon. Deep breath... still keeping hopes/expectations low though...

Lucky
Lucky

billamend
billamend

Lando lap:

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
haza wrote:
12 Dec 2020, 16:42
Because all season we have been predicting which tracks we would be fast on, and all almost always it never went the way folks said.

I don't fully understand this car or its strengths, to be honest.

But great work by Norris, he pulled it together today. He needs to not throw it away tomorrow.
The problem is that beyond inherent strengths and weaknesses in the cars (slow speed corners, fast corners, etc)... The trickiest part is getting the tires in their optimum operating window, when that doesn’t happen, what is perceived as advantages gets thrown out of the window (pun intended).

On the other hand, fans have a tendency to create fallacies... A good race for Mclaren suddenly means that the car behaves great in that type of layout, but doesn’t consider that others may not have been up to their potential in that particular race... So the expectations are created by us, but without actual data to back our assumptions and conclusions.

Today, the team nailed the setup and the tires where in their optimum window... Was it a factor of layout? Temperature? (Track temp was dropping), while others struggled for grip, the MCL35 kept finding it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk