2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Emag
Emag

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

I really hope Lando has the race pace to at least keep up with Max ahead of the rest if not outright win it tomorrow. Would shut up the naysayers who say the win in Miami was not deserved. I am somewhat worried about the deg though.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

I've watched Piastris lap again - we shouldn't be too disappointed about his second run. He would have been P7 or P8 (behind both Mercedes and Ferrari) so he didn't lose that much. He will start P9 due to Perez penalty.

Emag
Emag

Just saw the replay of Lando's pole lap and wow is that car super balanced. It just bites seemingly perfectly everywhere. Barely any movement in the tricky T10 as well. He ran slightly wide in T11, but wouldn't have cost him too much time because he kept the speed up.

Car looked super lovely on that lap.

SilviuAgo

FittingMechanics wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 17:16
I've watched Piastris lap again - we shouldn't be too disappointed about his second run. He would have been P7 or P8 (behind both Mercedes and Ferrari) so he didn't lose that much. He will start P9 due to Perez penalty.
That's true, so instead of being upset about Oscar mistake we are all super happy now for Lando. So that small incident with Charles paid back and karma said to prize Lando with a pole :))))) Well done! \:D/

mwillems

Zak saying the race pace is very strong.

Also says the temps don't bother the car anymore and he's not hoping for a colder track.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Emag wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 17:18
Just saw the replay of Lando's pole lap and wow is that car super balanced. It just bites seemingly perfectly everywhere. Barely any movement in the tricky T10 as well. He ran slightly wide in T11, but wouldn't have cost him too much time because he kept the speed up.

Car looked super lovely on that lap.
Great. Finally, Lando got a balanced car. And here is the result.

mwillems

Lando also getting a tow on his pole lap, so the gap between 1st and 2nd is close.

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Emag wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 17:13
I really hope Lando has the race pace to at least keep up with Max ahead of the rest if not outright win it tomorrow. Would shut up the naysayers who say the win in Miami was not deserved. I am somewhat worried about the deg though.
In the race simulation on the Soft tyres, Lando was stable with the pace. In this case, on the Medium and Hard tyres, everything should be just as good in terms of tyre degradation.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

What.A.Lap

Extremely happy for McLaren, for Lando…Barcelona has been a boogie track for McLaren for a long time, to deliver pole is validation of all the work done during the last 1.5 years.

The race tomorrow will be tricky, tire degradation will play a huge role, strategy and pit stops will challenge the Team, but there is pace to maintain the lead if Lando gets a good getaway.

Emag
Emag

mwillems wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 17:25
Lando also getting a tow on his pole lap, so the gap between 1st and 2nd is close.
It wasn't to the same effect as Max though. Might have emphasized the gap to P3 a bit, but with Max, it's probably the balancer which put Lando slightly ahead. Gaps are super tight though.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

One thing team could think about is whether Piastri could have towed Lando. He aborted his lap in front of Lando. With these super tight margins - they need to make sure they use every bit possible.

mwillems

Emag wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 17:27
mwillems wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 17:25
It wasn't to the same effect as Max though. Might have emphasized the gap to P3 a bit, but with Max, it's probably the balancer which put Lando slightly ahead. Gaps are super tight though.
Not sure, it was a shorter tow but he was also much closer to the car.

We can see in the telemetry shortly. But Max didn't outright gain time as Lando would have got some too, so the tow delta isn't as big as first thought.

.069 is the difference on the straight. Some of that is the setup I think.
Last edited by mwillems on 22 Jun 2024, 17:34, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

mwillems

The Red Bull was faster on every straight. The Mclaren carrying higher speed in every corner.

Did they know the pace, set up for the race and sacrifice a little qualy speed?

I think they did.

-Bandit

SilviuAgo

Golden indeed :)))

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 17:34
The Red Bull was faster on every straight. The Mclaren carrying higher speed in every corner.

Did they know the pace, set up for the race and sacrifice a little qualy speed?

I think they did.
Optimistic for the race!