2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
CaribouBread
CaribouBread

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

bluechris wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 09:36
To my eyes Ferrari haven't got the right setup yet which is logical imo.
Too many fundamental changes in so little time with little testing.
Sure they could get a bit more performance from the setup but the more pressing matter currently is the bouncing - the only setup change that helps solve that; raising the floor; only makes the car slower.

r85
r85

bluechris wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 09:36
To my eyes Ferrari haven't got the right setup yet which is logical imo.
Too many fundamental changes in so little time with little testing.
And they didn't bring all of the Silverstone package to Spain, so they're kind of running a half baked car right now. Makes sense why it's hard to get the set-up right.

Sergej
Sergej

I don't quite understand why they rushed to Barcelona the Silverstone package; they said that they would have needed a few races to extract the full potential of Imola package, but after that you got a micky-mouse track and a GP with rain, mixed conditions, fuc*ed setup...so little chance to understand and optimize the package. Then why to anticipate another package ? and why only partially, with maybe some fundamental parts to come only at Silverstone ? impression is they added confusion on top of an already confused situation.

organic

AR3-GP wrote:
29 Jun 2024, 22:07
yooogurt wrote:
29 Jun 2024, 17:16
SoulPancake13 wrote:
29 Jun 2024, 17:08
He was going for P3, I don't blame him given the car and where it is.
With Charles magic i think p2 was possible, but unlucky today, car with bouncing rly hard to drive.
“I had a good qualifying. I managed to do three very clean laps,” said Sainz after qualifying.
https://formu1a.uno/en/ferrari-sf-24-li ... n-austria/
I think that's from Friday

Here's Carlos from after qualifying
The changes we made between Sprint and Qualifying made the car faster but also a little more difficult to drive; now we are a little more at the limit, so much so that it was very complicated to put together a lap" - said Carlos Sainz
Considering Carlos said it was very tricky and Leclerc made a couple of mistakes, we can conclude that the car is a handful in current form

They're having to make unfavourable setup compromises to deal with the bouncing

hape
hape

It would be interesting to see what would be the comparison if Ferrari had brought one car with the pre-imola setup for FP1/FP2 and one car with the current updates. To me it seems the picking order (without Ferrari), depending on the circuit and circumstances, hasn’t changed too much between RedBull, McLaren, Mercedes. Yesterday proved RedBull is still on another planet and McLaren clearly faster than Mercedes,
It was told to us at the beginning of the season that gains would be very difficult to achieve with these concepts and only a few tenths would be possible. This all leads me to think that Mercedes, RedBull, McLaren didn’t gain big numbers with their updates but merely a few tenths. It is Ferrari that upgraded a few tenths backwards since Imola and that distorts the overall thinking.

yooogurt

hape wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 11:29
It is Ferrari that upgraded a few tenths backwards since Imola and that distorts the overall thinking.
the latest package (not the one introduced at Imola) has not performed as well as the Maranello team's engineers expected, so much so that it is still a tenth and a half away from being seen on the track, practically the entire value of the Spanish novelties (they were worth 0.18 seconds at Montmelo). Something Sainz himself confirmed, "The novelties work in all the areas where we don't have the bouncing, the problem is that what we gain in those points, we lose in others because of the bouncing." The load at low speeds has been increased, with the SF-24 thus improving in one of the most deficient areas of the first part of the season as well as one of the objectives of the second season package, but it is now paying heavily for the introduction of the bouncing through the new bottom.
https://formu1a.uno/it/sainz-conferma-i ... to-spagna/
FORZA FERRARI!

bluechris

Bring back the F1-75 with the current engine and suspension only :)

hape
hape

yooogurt wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 11:38
hape wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 11:29
It is Ferrari that upgraded a few tenths backwards since Imola and that distorts the overall thinking.
the latest package (not the one introduced at Imola) has not performed as well as the Maranello team's engineers expected, so much so that it is still a tenth and a half away from being seen on the track, practically the entire value of the Spanish novelties (they were worth 0.18 seconds at Montmelo). Something Sainz himself confirmed, "The novelties work in all the areas where we don't have the bouncing, the problem is that what we gain in those points, we lose in others because of the bouncing." The load at low speeds has been increased, with the SF-24 thus improving in one of the most deficient areas of the first part of the season as well as one of the objectives of the second season package, but it is now paying heavily for the introduction of the bouncing through the new bottom.
https://formu1a.uno/it/sainz-conferma-i ... to-spagna/
Thanks for your link, I get the picture of the bouncing at high speed which reverses the gains at low speeds. Overall though, I’m not sure about all these possible gains of 0.5 or 0.6s will be achieved with these two previous upgrades and the gains other teams have made. It depends so much on the, situation, the type of track and it’s probably just a most ideal number. It’s normal that an upgrade has trade offs too btw, it’s about the net result.
The pre imola car should be very fast here too because of the high track temperatures yesterday, it wouldn’t struggle with its biggest problem, the tyre heating.
I would still try the pre imola setup for the high speed corners of Silverstone on one car in FP1 and with the other car the latest available updates to see if bouncing can be reduced. If they don’t achieve significant gains on the bouncing they will be sitting ducks at high speeds of Silverstone.

Xyz22
Xyz22

Ah by the way the SF 24 was over 0.4s slower than the SF 23 last year.

I think the conditions were better last year but we still did much worse than RB which slightly improved and McL who has been less than 0.1s slower compared to 2023. Mercedes was also slower by 0.020 and therefore did much better than Ferrari.

yooogurt

hape wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 12:19
Thanks for your link, I get the picture of the bouncing at high speed which reverses the gains at low speeds. Overall though, I’m not sure about all these possible gains of 0.5 or 0.6s will be achieved with these two previous upgrades and the gains other teams have made. It depends so much on the, situation, the type of track and it’s probably just a most ideal number. It’s normal that an upgrade has trade offs too btw, it’s about the net result.
The pre imola car should be very fast here too because of the high track temperatures yesterday, it wouldn’t struggle with its biggest problem, the tyre heating.
I would still try the pre imola setup for the high speed corners of Silverstone on one car in FP1 and with the other car the latest available updates to see if bouncing can be reduced. If they don’t achieve significant gains on the bouncing they will be sitting ducks at high speeds of Silverstone.
It would depend on the calculations of how much to gain in slow corners and lose in fast corners, which would be more favorable. But according to insides and interviews of the same Sainz, the team is trying to fix the suspension to Silver that would fix the bouncing, if they can, then obviously to roll back to the Imola spec is not worth it.
I think its worth the risk with the current floor, gain knowledge, and at least be better prepared for the 25 where the suspension will be replaced, and better understand how to fix things with upgrades this year.
FORZA FERRARI!

deadhead

aleks_ader

testing time :P
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

aleks_ader

What calamity after Monaco with points haul. Unbelievable prime Ferrari experience.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

yooogurt

And again Charles luck
FORZA FERRARI!

Vanja #66

Piastri has a special appetite for hitting a Ferrari, much like Max had an appetite for Vettel... What a joke :roll:
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie