Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
amouzouris

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

raymondu999 wrote:Why is it an entire longitudinal slit? Any takers?
maybe its for the exhaust to self cool...as we know heated air goes up..so the air around the exhaust pipe is heated and moves upwards getting carried away with the flow above the sidepods...if that hot air stayed there it would desintigrade the surrounding bodywork..

beelsebob
beelsebob

I'm pretty sure that the slot is there simply to comply with the rules. My bet would be that the idea of the bump is to create a low preasure area that drags the exhaust gasses downwards, and aims them at either the under side of the beam wing, or that oh-so-critical gap they were all aiming it at last year.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

It's a slit because you can't have an exhaust enclosure nor any body work above the exhaust.

Anyway I guess this is the burnt floor. Right click view etc
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

raymondu999

The bit in front of the wheels you mean? How did that get burnt? So maybe they were trying to use laminar flows to push the plume downwards?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ajdavison2
ajdavison2

It might not be burnt, but just crap from the tires? Fits with the direction of rotation, even though I've never seen anything like this before.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Definately looks toasted, impressive... I wonder if it's doing what it's been designed to do? Lap times weren't anything special.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Diesel wrote:Definately looks toasted, impressive... I wonder if it's doing what it's been designed to do? Lap times weren't anything special.
This is testing.

Ratatouille
Ratatouille

From the burnt floor pictures and by the other flood images I think we can conclude Mclaren is trying to send the air right beside to the tyre, as you can see they kept the opening right next to the tyre through which they were blowing the diffuser last year.

So basically they are still trying to blow through that whole in the very same way as last year.

Very interesting indeed.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Exhaust

via Khan_F1

Robbobnob
Robbobnob

im surprised the bodywork surrounding the exhaust exit doesnt contravene the "cone" in which no body work is allowed.

i know the blowing of the wheel fairings and the suspension members will be allowed as they are unsprung and therefore by definition not body work.
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

aral
aral

Robbobnob wrote:im surprised the bodywork surrounding the exhaust exit doesnt contravene the "cone" in which no body work is allowed.

i know the blowing of the wheel fairings and the suspension members will be allowed as they are unsprung and therefore by definition not body work.
Shrouding of the exhaust is not allowed. This shroud is also directing the gasses which is also disallowed. However, as this is only testing, McLaren can get away with it, even if FIA tell them it is illegal.

officialsushy

who cares.when ever you see new innovation or part in f1 you say its illegal but its not.Mcalren had fduct it was innovative desigin not illegal

Caito
Caito

1.4 Bodywork :
All entirely sprung parts of the car in contact with the external air stream, except cameras,
camera housings and the parts definitely associated with the mechanical functioning of the
engine, transmission and running gear. Airboxes, radiators and engine exhausts are considered
to be part of the bodywork

3.8.5 Once the relevant bodywork surfaces are defined in accordance with Article 3.8.4, apertures,
any of which may adjoin or overlap each other, may be added for the following purposes only:
a) Single apertures either side of the car centre line for the purpose of exhaust exits. These
apertures may have a combined area of no more than 50,000mm
when projected onto
the surface itself. No point on an aperture may be more than 350mm from any other
point on the aperture

5.8.4 Once the exhaust tailpipes, the bodywork required by Article 3.8.4 and any apertures
permitted by Article 3.8.5 have been fully defined there must be no bodywork lying within a
right circular truncated cone which :
a) Shares a common axis with that of the last 100mm of the tailpipe.
b) Has a forward diameter equal to that of each exhaust exit.
c) Starts at the exit of the tailpipe and extends rearwards as far as the rear wheel centre
line.
d) Has a half‐cone angle of 3° such that the cone has its larger diameter at the rear wheel
centre line.
Furthermore, there must be a view from above, the side, or any intermediate angle
perpendicular to the car centre line, from which the truncated cone is not obscured by any
bodywork lying more than 50mm forward of the rear wheel centre line.

Here are the rules, to draw some insight on the matter and stop speculation on legality.
Come back 747, we miss you!!

officialsushy

Caito wrote:1.4 Bodywork :
All entirely sprung parts of the car in contact with the external air stream, except cameras,
camera housings and the parts definitely associated with the mechanical functioning of the
engine, transmission and running gear. Airboxes, radiators and engine exhausts are considered
to be part of the bodywork

3.8.5 Once the relevant bodywork surfaces are defined in accordance with Article 3.8.4, apertures,
any of which may adjoin or overlap each other, may be added for the following purposes only:
a) Single apertures either side of the car centre line for the purpose of exhaust exits. These
apertures may have a combined area of no more than 50,000mm
when projected onto
the surface itself. No point on an aperture may be more than 350mm from any other
point on the aperture

5.8.4 Once the exhaust tailpipes, the bodywork required by Article 3.8.4 and any apertures
permitted by Article 3.8.5 have been fully defined there must be no bodywork lying within a
right circular truncated cone which :
a) Shares a common axis with that of the last 100mm of the tailpipe.
b) Has a forward diameter equal to that of each exhaust exit.
c) Starts at the exit of the tailpipe and extends rearwards as far as the rear wheel centre
line.
d) Has a half‐cone angle of 3° such that the cone has its larger diameter at the rear wheel
centre line.
Furthermore, there must be a view from above, the side, or any intermediate angle
perpendicular to the car centre line, from which the truncated cone is not obscured by any
bodywork lying more than 50mm forward of the rear wheel centre line.

Here are the rules, to draw some insight on the matter and stop speculation on legality.
its legal exhaust.ferrari are doing same not redbull

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

beelsebob wrote:
Diesel wrote:Definately looks toasted, impressive... I wonder if it's doing what it's been designed to do? Lap times weren't anything special.
This is testing.
True, but when someone discovers a golden egg, it's usually obvious, Brawn for example.