Red Bull RB18

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Sieper

Re: Red Bull RB18

AR3-GP wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 00:44
Sieper wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 00:04
Andi76 wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 21:59

Then you watched another pre-season test than me. Mercedes was not closer to the ground than Ferrari or Red Bull. And definetely not the closest of all.
We were watching different things then. Merc is so close to the ground that when porpoising the whole side of the floor literally is on the ground.
I'm afraid this is not a very rigorous analysis. You can't just pick one video where the Merc is in a high speed right hander rolling and dragging on the ground, and then find another video of the RB going in a straight line. All cars are skirting the floor depending on the corner, roll angle, bumps etc. The RB floor also is seen to be skating along the ground in many corners as the body rolls.
Aah, I should deliver a very rigorous analysis, whilst you just provide some snide remarks, words, and otherwise bring nothing to the table. If I were good with computers I would throw in some more pictures, but helas, I am not. Perhaps you can provide us all with some further analysis.

Andi76
Andi76

Sieper wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 00:04
Andi76 wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 21:59
Sieper wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 19:12

I read that a lot. And yes, porpoising was better controlled, but I have been watching live and to me the Merc still seemed closer to the ground. The closest off all.
Then you watched another pre-season test than me. Mercedes was not closer to the ground than Ferrari or Red Bull. And definetely not the closest of all.
We were watching different things then. Merc is so close to the ground that when porpoising the whole side of the floor literally is on the ground.

Redbull was much more stable but always a few centimeters of the ground:

To be honest - there is no need for him to bring anything else to the table, as it was widely reported. And its testing - every single very team had runs which such low ride heights! I watched all 3 days. And in general Mercedes ran at higher ride heights than Red Bull and Ferrari. As i said - it was even reported in the press that they did that, they also admitted that because they suffer from porpoising at low ride heights. It was also widely reported that Ferrari is stable over a wide range of ride heights.

But anyway - everybody made his observations and at the end of the day its testing. And does not matter what we observed. It could mean that one team focused more on race conditions with high fuel load, while the other focused more on qualifying and low fuel loads... We will see in 8 days who has problems, who has not and who will be able to run closer to the ground when it counts.

etusch

During 3d day of testing a redbull mechanic was putting something inside these little wings. I wonder what it was. Anyone saw it and has an idea?
Last edited by etusch on 13 Mar 2022, 11:04, edited 1 time in total.

AeroDynamic

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

etusch wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 11:01
https://i.ibb.co/strM1tX/Ekran-Al-nt-s.jpg

During 3d day of testing a redbull mechanic was putting something inside these little wings. I wonder what it was. Anyone saw it and has an idea?
Theyre the FIA mandated camera housings, shouldnt imagine theyre aloud to house anything other than a camera in them, at least not on a race weekend anyway.

Stu

JesperA wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 21:38
ringo wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 21:08
Could that top arm also act a steering arm or camber arm?

It looks to me like it can transfer load from one side to the other causing camber changes in high speed corners. :-k
So for instance, the rear/bottom arm is fixed & the top arm is floating in it's fixture inside the nose? Maybe with bumpstops to control how much change is allowed? Is that what you mean?
The structure is secured using two vertical fixings in the top corners of the chassis. The photos posted from the Barcelona shakedown show this.
I think that the more interesting part is how this leaf/beam is connected to the hub and rear part of the wishbone; it is possible that they are recreating the effect of POU.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Aesop
Aesop

Anyone noticed any rake on the RB18? According to Gary Anderson Redbull was adding rake to the car.

F1ern
F1ern

Aesop wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 11:46
Anyone noticed any rake on the RB18? According to Gary Anderson Redbull was adding rake to the car.
I think there was some rake on the car. It only scraped the floor at the front. Not big, just a little.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1502674691886141443

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

F1ern wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 12:00
Aesop wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 11:46
I think there was some rake on the car. It only scraped the floor at the front. Not big, just a little.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1502674691886141443
Pause the video at 00:12/00:13, you can see there is a little rake in the car

Henk_v
Henk_v

I think the New sidepod is not the real update. I think the RB18 we see next week might be very different. If you are RB and have a very Spice update you are sure will work, but will case a stir regarding legality, you wait till you need it. As MB is struggling and the pace is decent, you keep it in your sleeve and wait how things pan out. If you can get race wins with this spec, you wait to deploy if necessary, if you expert either the other teams or rulemakers to react possibly limiting the time you can run the spec

Wouter

I don't know if this one is already posted here, but here you can see how stable the RB18 is on the track, no steering corrections, no porpoising, maybe a little.

The Power of Dreams!

Big Tea

Just a passing thought on Proposing, but if the car is already touching the floor, as RBR is supposedly, it cannot go down any lower, and it can not lose the depression in the tunnels and rise. Is that right?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

chrisc90

Big Tea wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 13:41
Just a passing thought on Proposing, but if the car is already touching the floor, as RBR is supposedly, it cannot go down any lower, and it can not lose the depression in the tunnels and rise. Is that right?
Thats kinda what I said on the previous page. Im not sure what the regs are regarding floor wear under the car. But if you can get it low enough that it wont go any lower, and create the downforce needed for the straights, whilst a tiny bit rake in the corners (like they have always had in their designs) it could be a real winner.

Vanja #66

How should a car handle being dragged on the ground? How long could the floor last? The skid blocks can only hold up so much...
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Vanja #66 wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 15:14
How should a car handle being dragged on the ground? How long could the floor last? The skid blocks can only hold up so much...
Because it's not really being forced into the ground, but rather skirting just above. It's no different to the front wing endplates which have been drooping to the ground for years before 2022.