Canadian GP 2010 - Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Re: Canadian GP 2010 - Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

British GP 1998. The year there was mass confusion due to a blunder. He still made the stop-go then went out for a few more laps so no cheating there. I thionk the problem was the penalty was served too late and it should have been time added on to his race time.

Anyway this is off topic and has nothing to do with the 2010 Canadian GP.

Terrible3
Terrible3

Wow I must say that had to be the most exciting dry race I have seen in years!

The Boss, was once again proving he was the boss. From his quali lap to his race pace he set the benchmark and took a well deserved second win.

Vettel defended very well early on and had a exciting lap or two challenging LH. I must say I am a pretty big Vettel fan but it seemed careless to me when he wanted to go for the fastest lap. Why risk parking the car into the wall when you could just cruise to the finish? Additionally why not conserve the engine for the next race?

MS, man I feel bad for defending him so much for the past. Growing up he was my childhood hero... not so much anymore. After a costly mistake in Quali things only went downhill for him. He pulled a Mark Webber and tried to defend a lost position in my eyes on RK. While this was a racing incident and total blame cant be placed on MS the next incident with Massa was downright despicable. To begin with what as MS thinking? Massa was clearly MUCH faster than him and it would only be a matter of time before Massa would pass him. MS then made two moves to defend and nearly put Massa into the pits. While I thought the Monaco penalty that MS received was unfair, I sure as hell hope the FIA gives him at least one penalty. I think the only redeeming aspect of MS driving was being able to hear MB rip him apart several times on the commentary... it was hilarious.

WhiteBlue

I kind of found the Merc explanation for the dismal qualifying logical. The track is very slippery and they cannot get heat into the tyres on low fuel. The same thing applied to the Brawns last year and they have still not cured that characteristic. While Schumacher screwed up to tangle with Kubica instead of conserving his car for P4 instead of P3. Why does he still take a mini gun to the track when the championship is lost anyway is beyond me. I bet Felipe Massa will strike him from the Xmas card list. The team was completely out of their mind to put MSC on the soft tyres for such a long stint. Even an additional stop would have been better than the fiasco that took place. A nice drive by Nico Rosberg considering his technical problems and lack of training in FP3.

McLaren impressed me this time with the strategy and the quality of the driving. Both Hamilton and Button were doing an excellent job.

Alonso typically was better than his car. I don't like the guy but I must admit he is pretty good in keeping contact with the WDC leaders. His practice sessions saw a lot of off track but in the race he kept it together. Rob Smedley was in great form. "Good job, kid."

Red Bull still gamble away their best chance for a championship by continuing unreliability. Double gear box issues in one race is madness.

Sauber are still in full crisis. No sponsorship and the car undrivable.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

ringo

Terrible3 wrote:Wow I must say that had to be the most exciting dry race I have seen in years!

The Boss, was once again proving he was the boss. From his quali lap to his race pace he set the benchmark and took a well deserved second win.

Vettel defended very well early on and had a exciting lap or two challenging LH. I must say I am a pretty big Vettel fan but it seemed careless to me when he wanted to go for the fastest lap. Why risk parking the car into the wall when you could just cruise to the finish? Additionally why not conserve the engine for the next race?

MS, man I feel bad for defending him so much for the past. Growing up he was my childhood hero... not so much anymore. After a costly mistake in Quali things only went downhill for him. He pulled a Mark Webber and tried to defend a lost position in my eyes on RK. While this was a racing incident and total blame cant be placed on MS the next incident with Massa was downright despicable. To begin with what as MS thinking? Massa was clearly MUCH faster than him and it would only be a matter of time before Massa would pass him. MS then made two moves to defend and nearly put Massa into the pits. While I thought the Monaco penalty that MS received was unfair, I sure as hell hope the FIA gives him at least one penalty. I think the only redeeming aspect of MS driving was being able to hear MB rip him apart several times on the commentary... it was hilarious.
Well now, that's the point. :twisted: Why defend a faster Massa for so many laps, only to be passed sooner or later, when you can eliminate him? :wink:

We have to undestand how Shumacher thinks.

fast Massa = inevitable challenge for overtake

No massa = no challenge :mrgreen:

Shumacher is the dirtiest player in the game, reminds me of rick flair in WWF.
coincidentally rick flair is older and weaker than the other wrestlers, but he is smarter and dirtier.
For Sure!!

alberto222mx

WhiteBlue wrote:I kind of found the Merc explanation for the dismal qualifying logical. The track is very slippery and they cannot get heat into the tyres on low fuel. The same thing applied to the Brawns last year and they have still not cured that characteristic. While Schumacher screwed up to tangle with Kubica instead of conserving his car for P4 instead of P3. Why does he still take a mini gun to the track when the championship is lost anyway is beyond me. I bet Felipe Massa will strike him from the Xmas card list. The team was completely out of their mind to put MSC on the soft tyres for such a long stint. Even an additional stop would have been better than the fiasco that took place. A nice drive by Nico Rosberg considering his technical problems and lack of training in FP3.
Totally agree.
Too many mistakes from Merc and MS this weekend. Schumi screwed up his race in the fight with Kubica but then Mercedes made a terrible strategy. 35 laps with the soft tyres?? Not even the hard tyres could last that long.
In the last part of the race he was losing about 2-3 seconds per lap, I really don´t know how a clever guy as Brawn didn´t could see that was better make another pitstop. I guess he could be finished comfortably behind Buemi.
"Why doesn´t someone tell Pedro it´s raining" - Chris Amon, 1000km Brands Hatch, 1970

Ganxxta
Ganxxta

ringo wrote: Well now, that's the point. :twisted: Why defend a faster Massa for so many laps, only to be passed sooner or later, when you can eliminate him? :wink:

coincidentally rick flair is older and weaker than the other wrestlers, but he is smarter and dirtier.
:idea: Now I know, MS is a very smart devil :twisted: , he thought the whole straight: "If I stay on the racing line to turn into the Chicane, than Massa will destroy his FW without damage my car or tyres... muahaha :twisted: "

I'm also a Massa fan, but did he really thought he could pass MS on the outside into the last Chicane? But his race was totally screwed up anyway.

And I agree that it was a very stupid idea of Mercedes to go so much laps on soft tyres, they only did 15-20 laps (guessed) on hard tyres but tried even more with softer ones #-o

Belatti
Belatti

WHAT A RACE!!!!!

No more comments
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

megz

ringo wrote:

Except F1 isn't scripted to make Schumacher the bad guy, he chooses to be questionable.

99cent
99cent

Duhh..!! Massa was much faster because:
A) His tires were in much better shape, Schumacher was using the soft option tire for about 20 to 30 laps. He was actually doing very well considering how degraded his tires were.
B) Everyone knows the Mercedes has zero straight line speed,therefore the Ferrari would naturally be much faster.

As for the incident, i myself was skeptical at first...but after reviewing the video, i think mass was being a little too over ambition. There was no way he was going to pass Schumacher on the outside of that corner.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRmt8g5zbI0[/youtube]

As for brundle, im not surprised he's making those comments. There has been numerous occasions in the past where schumacher has totally burned him in interviews.

1) 7;05min schumacher responding to a question
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WKDhb7w ... re=related[/youtube]

Personally I don't think they like each other at all...this will only add fuel to the fire

As for the force India cars...

"For sure Michael was struggling, and after all the gains we'd made with the overtaking and the hard race, I didn't want to give up," said Liuzzi, who had charged back through the field after a first corner clash with Felipe Massa meant his third row start went to waste.

"For sure it was not easy because you always have to risk a bit, but Michael is great and was fair.

"We've always had a great battle the few times he's been close to me in the past - he's a great champion and doesn't drive with closed eyes.

"He understood that I was much, much faster, we had a little contact but at the end of the day it worked."

Liuzzi's Force India team-mate Adrian Sutil also passed Schumacher at the end to take 10th.

"I saw it coming - Michael had a big problem with the tyres at end," said Sutil.

"We all had problems, but he probably had more!

"I got the slipstream on the last straight and passed him into the chicane, and it was nice to get the final point."

The result was a relief for Sutil who had lost a lot of time with a puncture earlier on.

"It was difficult because I had a flat tyre early in the race and I lost around 20s because I had to do the whole lap losing time and damaged my car quite a lot," he said.

"Then I was just driving with a damaged car for the whole race, that's why I think I can be happy to still have a single point."

Liuzzi was also satisfied even though he had started in the top five.

"I was sure that Montreal would be a crazy race and I have to say I enjoyed it a lot," he said.

Pedro
Pedro

Pit-stop summary:

Source: F1news.cz
http://f1news.cz/novinky/34973-ferrari- ... 4-vteriny/
Source: F1news.cz
http://www.f1news.cz

djones
djones

Re: Mercedes GP MGP W01

After this weekends performance you'd have to think thats it for this car.

At least with Mclaren, Redbull and Ferrari fighting for the championship it means they should get a good head start.

Will MS be patient enough though to put with a car like the W01 for the rest of the season. Not sure.

Richard
Richard

ISLAMATRON wrote:I still dont understand how the McLaren strategy worked, even without an SC... I am at every loss to comprehend it and will have to make a detailed analysis of the lap times to see what went down, and how they finished ahead of the RBR's. My whole understanding of race stategy may have just been turned on its nose.
The McL and Ferrari strategies were similar. They sacrificed the softs to give them grid position, and to take the punishment of the opening 7 laps. The RB were on better rubber for those 7 laps but that was wasted because they were held up by the others.

We then had McL and Fer on fresh rubber racing against RB who were still on their quali tyres.

* You can from the pit stop data in the post above that McL and Fer had 7 laps on fresh rubber while RB were on the old stuff (laps 7 to 14).

Alonso gained position on Hamilton through a quicker pit stop. However McL were able to close the gap due to traffic. With the gap closed, the better straight line speed of the McL meant Alonso was a sitting duck.

What we saw reinforced the principle that pitting earlier gives an overall reward, the opposite of the last few years.

---
Edit to add para marked *
Last edited by Richard on 14 Jun 2010, 10:03, edited 1 time in total.

djones
djones

To anybody who wants to slag MS for the Massa thing just watch the above onbaord.

There is no way that move was ever going to stick.

Yes MS's car was very slow, but when somebody comes up against virgin (or whatever) at somewhere like Monaco are they expected to just give up the position?

No.

And why should he give up a position without a fight?

Do you want to watch an exciting race with fighting or for people to just move out of the way? :?

Fil

Adding to what Richard said, by the time Webber was on the faster Softs on a rubbered-in track, he had to nurse his car home, never showing the pace he should've had.

Just need to look at Kubica's laptimes in the last 15 to see what Webber should've been doing.
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

myurr
myurr

ISLAMATRON wrote:I still dont understand how the McLaren strategy worked, even without an SC... I am at every loss to comprehend it and will have to make a detailed analysis of the lap times to see what went down, and how they finished ahead of the RBR's. My whole understanding of race stategy may have just been turned on its nose.
Still reading through this thread so apologies if someone else has already replied.

McLaren's strategy worked for a couple of reasons. The main one being that because they pitted early on the softs and had got them out the way, they were then always going to be on fresher tyres for longer in the race than the Red Bulls. We have yet to see a race where someone staying out much longer on a stint has worked better than pitting for fresh tyres.

From the first stop onwards, they were one pit stop down but on the same compound with fresher tyres than Red Bulls. From here they were always going to lap more quickly thanks to the extra life in the tyres, meaning the Red Bulls were losing ground to them instead of building a gap.

This strategy was also helped by the hard tyres going off so quickly early in the race, which meant that slower cars that had started on the hards were pitting as well which meant they didn't hold the McLarens or Alonso up, but I still think it was always going to be the right strategy.