2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Emag wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 13:42
mwillems wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 13:28
Emag wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 13:04

Medium - Hard if you're going for the one stop, but apparently even Pirelli thinks 1 stop is a stretch for these tires on this track.

If you're going for a two stop, then Soft - Medium - Medium is probably the way to go.
I'm sure they'll be used, I just wouldn't want Lando to start on them, it seems too risky. I know Pirelli see this as the best strategy, but I don't like it personally.

We've one new of each compound, so we'll be using each of those rather than Soft Medium, Medium.

Softs are apparently a really good race tire here though. They degrade a lot, true, but they provide quite a bit more grip compared to the next harder compound. So in average throughout a stint, the soft might perform better than the medium, even if you're going off the cliff towards the end.
Yeah I'm probably being over cautious. We did look very good in the two stints that the drivers ran. Lando's 13 (?) lap stint looked like it had plenty of life left in it.

If he does start on Softs then I'd like Oscar to start on mediums, to cause some concern for those around Lando.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

bluechris

Softs is for me, the temperature according to weather report will be much more cool than yesterday.

mwillems

Zak was saying that temperatures are not a concern for Mclaren anymore, they can manage them as well as anyone.

My concern is just pitting into traffic and having your race ruined.

-Bandit

chrisc90

Heres a ghost car comparison between Lando and Max. I know there was someone on the forum who was saying that Lando takes a different corner exit to Max. So hopefully that should show it a bit more in detail.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

I think soft will be a main starting tire for the top drivers. Anyone not on softs would be under big danger of losing out at start. I'm sure NOR and VER would love to start on a harder compound but cars behind will be on softs so everyone starts on softs.

Maybe Piastri/Perez start on a medium or hard.

BTW. Doohan yesterday made a comment about seeing how things stack up after 9 laps on softs so I am assuming Alpine is planning to start on softs and that the first pitstops will be at about lap 8-10. I think everyone will do similar.

Emag
Emag

Did it end up raining or not? I did not see anything mentioning rain anywhere, just clouds and lower temperatures compared to yesterday.

chrisc90

Emag wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 14:24
Did it end up raining or not? I did not see anything mentioning rain anywhere, just clouds and lower temperatures compared to yesterday.
Overnight it did. little drizzle in the morning too.

CjC
CjC

There you go, Rob Marshall just confirmed it- Red Bull is still the fastest car
Just a fan's point of view

CjC
CjC

Also Karun just said Mclaren were hoping for cooler track temps but they are into the low 40s already
Just a fan's point of view

Emag
Emag

CjC wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 14:42
Also Karun just said Mclaren were hoping for cooler track temps but they are into the low 40s already
How much cooler were they expecting, because this is already pretty cool for a summer day in Barcelona.

Silent Storm
Silent Storm

CjC wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 14:39
There you go, Rob Marshall just confirmed it- Red Bull is still the fastest car
So Lando was spreading misinformation about having the fastest car…
The cheapest sort of pride is national pride, every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud adopts, as a last resource, pride in the nation to which he belongs; thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority.

mclaren111

Let's Go Lando !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mwillems

CjC wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 14:42
Is he speaking for Mclaren or quoting them, because Zak was saying temps don't concern the team now.

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

PIT → PIA
14:57
Tyre info. The only car ahead of you on Medium is HAM, all the other cars on Soft.

I hoped HAM would challenge VER at the start - doesn't seem that will happen.

Darth-Piekus

Lets not kid ourselves. Red Bull still jas a slight advantage even if its half a second and we have to admit that Max is the favourite for today but let's not take out Lando yet. Considering the last time a fire broke out Williams won Barcelona, I'm confident today for a win not to mention that if Lando gets on the first turn first then he has the upper hand on clean air.